• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Do most folks prefer HQ rules to AHQ rules?

Topics related to Games Workshops Advanced HeroQuest.

Re: Do most folks prefer HQ rules to AHQ rules?

Postby Gunzhard » August 14th, 2013, 12:55 pm

Patroclus wrote:
Gunzhard wrote:Any thoughts on the best approach for getting a new group started on one, either, or both of these games?

Try to find players about your age. Of course (I think) it’s fun to play with the family but there are many guys out there who are playing AD&D or other RPG games that they will love to play HQ for sure (it is more possible to find players from these games than from people who are playing boardgames as monopoly or card games... players from AD&D are more "ready to play" HQ). Put a sticker on your local hobby store, or use the social media to organize a game in a public place as your local hobby store.

Doh, you know reading my original statement I see that I worded it poorly. I already have a gaming group, though they play mostly 40k and Infinity; but this game, and even this type of game, would be new if I can even get folks interested. I want to get them hooked ASAP haha! ...with that goal in mind, what is really the best approach?

As much as I have a deep nostalgic love of the old minis, I'm thinking if I have some nice (modern/better) hero choices that might help. How do you guys teach new folks the rules?
Gunzhard

Zombie
Zombie

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby knightkrawler » August 14th, 2013, 1:08 pm

By actually playing. The Arena is a good quest for that.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Patroclus » August 14th, 2013, 3:44 pm

Gunzhard wrote:
Patroclus wrote:
Gunzhard wrote:Any thoughts on the best approach for getting a new group started on one, either, or both of these games?

Try to find players about your age. Of course (I think) it’s fun to play with the family but there are many guys out there who are playing AD&D or other RPG games that they will love to play HQ for sure (it is more possible to find players from these games than from people who are playing boardgames as monopoly or card games... players from AD&D are more "ready to play" HQ). Put a sticker on your local hobby store, or use the social media to organize a game in a public place as your local hobby store.

Doh, you know reading my original statement I see that I worded it poorly. I already have a gaming group, though they play mostly 40k and Infinity; but this game, and even this type of game, would be new if I can even get folks interested. I want to get them hooked ASAP haha! ...with that goal in mind, what is really the best approach?

As much as I have a deep nostalgic love of the old minis, I'm thinking if I have some nice (modern/better) hero choices that might help. How do you guys teach new folks the rules?

So, they like “skirmish” games. HQ and AHQ are more like adventures, while Space Crusade and Space Hulk are closer to the type of games you play. But I don’t think they will have a problem to take a break for something different. Of course they have spent a lot of money for their sci-fi miniatures to let them aside, but you can tell them that it’s possible to use them with the HQ rules by doing a conversion like we did in that thread(http://www.yeoldeinn.com/hqforum/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=1040). So, with that in mind they will try first the HQ and it is possible to get hooked with the original game and the “fantasy” miniatures or maybe (why not) you will succeed to do the sci-fi alternative of HQ. But you should play at least all the quests from the starting box to be able and experienced enough to do that.

For new heroes it is easy to make some, by putting new skills and spells, but with the danger to affect the balance of the game. You have to play at least one time the game as it is, or else you won’t recognize if your additions are good or bad. You can find many good heroes in this forum, but it’s better to take all the good ideas and create your own, because every table is different and depends on the GM and the quests he made.

About the rules, they are very easy. In fact, it is “take your mini and play”. Only the GM is necessary to read them, but it is recommended to send them to everyone thanks to pdf format.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Patroclus

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Gunzhard » August 14th, 2013, 3:57 pm

Great advice guys thank you. In terms of Heroes ...I meant to have some variety strictly in model only. My group is more of a hobby/painter/pretty-model group than a competitive-gamer group though of course we do both. Is it taboo around here to use nonGW models, or non-original HQ models? hehe...
Gunzhard

Zombie
Zombie

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » August 14th, 2013, 4:02 pm

We encourage and applaud the use of anything besides Greed Workshop in your HQ games.
I also use Mantic, Reaper, AHQ and some d&d boardgame pieces with my hq minis. Check the gallery and the miniatures forum here.
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Gunzhard » August 14th, 2013, 4:29 pm

Sjeng wrote:We encourage and applaud the use of anything besides Greed Workshop in your HQ games.
I also use Mantic, Reaper, AHQ and some d&d boardgame pieces with my hq minis. Check the gallery and the miniatures forum here.

Oh I wasn't expecting that answer... yeah the CoolMiniOrNot store has so many, very suitable, and awesome models; I have an action plan now! :mrgreen:
Gunzhard

Zombie
Zombie

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Gunzhard » August 14th, 2013, 6:17 pm

I realize it's probably obvious how to get started... I only ask because the guy that sold me the game; like me played as a teen and recently tried to get his gaming group involved, but it didn't stick... so he sold it (to me!). I just want it to hit with impact heh...
Gunzhard

Zombie
Zombie

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » August 15th, 2013, 2:07 am

Then do it right when you first play!
Darken the room. Get the candles and and quest music. Get a cape. Read the stories and quest dramatically; BE Mentor! Get a cape.

Either they are spellbound forever or they'll flee like rats! :lol:

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » August 15th, 2013, 7:08 am

Goblin-King wrote:Get a cape

I lold, and I lold even harder when I read it the second time whahahahaaha, I want a picture of you in a cape now. You better take pictures next time you play GK. I demand to see you in your cape.
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Patroclus » August 15th, 2013, 10:34 am

Sjeng wrote:
Goblin-King wrote:Get a cape

I lold, and I lold even harder when I read it the second time whahahahaaha, I want a picture of you in a cape now. You better take pictures next time you play GK. I demand to see you in your cape.

This is GK waiting for his turn... :lol:
Last edited by Patroclus on June 25th, 2014, 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Patroclus

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced HeroQuest Room