• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Archery rules

Discuss new Rules for HeroQuest.

Archery rules

Postby Karlssonontheroof » August 5th, 2021, 6:15 am

I see many expanded armouries having a bow or two.
The crossbow Usually has some basic downgrade like only fires once every second turn, so adding a main long range weapon (bow) you can use every turn needs a drawback

Would it be interesting to connect skill to the weapons?
One could use mind points to represent skill/coordination required to aim effectively.

Given that, perhaps a bow could let you roll as many attack dice as your mind points, but you only hit on :whiteshield:

I see a few adding range to the bows (I personally feel it's too much complexity, but with these rules I'd say anything beyond 2x the Hero's starting body points hits on :blackshield:

Basic stats:
:barbarian: Rolls 2, (range 16) equivalent to 1.3 normal combat dice
:dwarf: Rolls 3, (range 14) equivalent to 2 normal combat dice
:elf: Rolls 4, (range 12) equivalent to 2.7 normal combat dice

A more powerful weapon could add one or two combat dice to the roll.

Karlssonontheroof

Skeleton
Skeleton

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Archery rules

Postby Kurgan » August 5th, 2021, 1:24 pm

First I want to say I'm totally okay with the bows having "infinite" range and "infinite" ammo. That's not unrealistic to me in the least for game purposes, but those could indeed be used as factors to limit their power if you want.

Now the base rules don't say the Crossbow can't hit diagonal squares, only that adjacent squares have to be one square minimum between you and the target. When I realized this and started allowing it, the weapon greatly increased in value to the Heroes.

You can make it a lot weaker if you say it can only hit one square away in any direction AND it has to be exactly diagonal (not "Line of Sight" which in the Instructions Manual Drawing is more loose... there's a line that kind of goes around the edge and just barely counts). That's how we USED to use it, before it was pointed out to me that wasn't the intention of the NA edition in print.

I have interpreted it as a pistol crossbow and reloading as a free action (being one handed, it doesn't interfere with Shield use). Some have limited ammo and charged to reload them, I don't do that but you could. Bolts are different than arrows. I did introduce a cheaper bow that's weaker and a stronger and more expensive longbow, but I made both of them two handed while keeping the Crossbow as one handed.

Others have decided all bows should be two handed, and prevent simultaneous shield use (how you handle weapon switching is up to you). You could make it require an action to switch or even go really strict and limit carrying capacity (most don't).

I use black dice to simulate proficiency, so however you handle it, you could say a bow shot with black dice is going to hit more often than with standard white dice. But a green die will HIT less often than white. Pay for archery lessons or give classes a certain thing, or maybe if you post up next to a piece of furniture you get better aim or something? Or coordinated shooting with two archers adjacent or diagonal from each other to hit targets better? Lots of things you could do.

I completely arbitrarily decided that the Mystic (like the Wizard) can't use bows, period, and the Dwarf can't use the Longbow, but the Cleric can.

They say bows require more skill to use than crossbows generally and longbows or warbows require more strength. Various ways you could simulate that if you want to differentiate them further rather than just making them each a replacement for the other.

You can read about my suggestion for "group tactics" here.
Last edited by Kurgan on August 18th, 2021, 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Re: Archery rules

Postby The Admiral » August 18th, 2021, 6:00 am

I keep it simple. well fairly.

Bow = 3 attack dice but can be used with a one handed sword. A bow is light and can be easily held in one hand while a sword is drawn. No shield though. Same price as a crossbow.
Shortbow = same as bow but with 2 attack dice. 250 gold coins.
Crossbow = 3 attack dice. More powerful so target loses a defence dice, but heavier, so it's considered a two handed weapon. So no use of another weapon or shield. Also only 1 die in close combat as Hero is using it as a club.

No range, ammo or reloading restrictions.

I do allow the Elf to train his bow skill for 500gc. This increases his attack dice with any bow by 1.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Return to Rules