• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Heroes Upgrade / Leveling System (and Villains too!)

Discuss new Rules for HeroQuest.

Re: Heroes Upgrade / Leveling System (and Villains too!)

Postby Kurgan » January 25th, 2020, 12:31 am

Very cool, I just might do that! I am working on more things for the Wizard too.. ;)

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Kurgan » January 27th, 2020, 7:24 pm

I've decided to allow the Barbarian and Dwarf to draw THREE Combat cards per quest now (previously I allowed all Heroes to draw 2 each, not just "pure combat" characters). I have been drawing FOUR as Zargon so I think I will start drawing FIVE so long as these characters are present.

Not sure if this should be a Knight or Champion level. My Barbarian has now completed over 10 quests, so he's First Knight. ;)

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Kurgan » May 28th, 2020, 7:47 pm

Just a quick test, a "rule" card for Elite Monsters. Cardback image will be the same as the other "Monster" cards. I'll probably end up simplifying it to match the others.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby lestodante » May 30th, 2020, 4:28 am

Barbarian: Substitute 3 Black Dice with any Sword or Ax when attacking, draw 1 Random Combat potion (cards taken from Potion Deck)
Dwarf: Auto disarm traps (just announce your intention on the square and its disarmed, no need to roll!), Substitute 2 Black Dice any Ax or Hammer when attacking
Elf: 2 random Spell Scroll draws per quest (instead of 1)
Wizard: Summon Elemental ability (cost: 3 unused Spell/Spell Scroll cards of one element type)

Just noticed the other heroes get an add-on, while the Wizard only get an "exchange" option. That's not good. :cry:

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » May 30th, 2020, 5:28 pm

The "Knight" upgrades get added to the Champion ones in my system. So the Knight level Wizard still has his upgraded Staff (Black Dice)/Cloak (Green Die). And while it's true I didn't give him as much, I consider him one of the most powerful characters if played properly. Each Elemental has the potential to destroy basically any boss or room full of Monsters, and if he doesn't use any of his Spells, he can summon up to THREE of them per quest. Later on I'm going to introduce abilities that allow the Wizard to have even more than 9 spells, but more on that later when I've roughed it out.

An upgraded (Champion) Wizard also gets upgraded Spells, but again, only if he actually uses them:
Courage (adds Black Dice)
Genie (five random Dice colors, though this means if you draw some Green they'll be slightly weaker)*
Rock Skin (adds Green Die instead of White)
Veil of Mist (+1 movement)
Swift Wing (+2 movement)
Pass Through Rock (+1 movement)
Fire of Wrath (must roll 6 to reduce damage)
Ball of Flame (must room 6 to reduce damage)

* (from bucket containing: 6 each of white, black, green, blue; 4 each of orange, yellow, purple)

Do you think he's still too weak?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Kurgan on November 16th, 2020, 10:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Kurgan » September 12th, 2020, 1:37 pm

Updated the main page with some new graphics. The only thing I've left open is whether the Elf also gets the "improved spells." Since I printed new cards with the Champion/Knight upgrades on the Spell/Skill cards themselves, it might be read that way. If the Elf only has 3 spells, no problem, but if he has a stack of Spell Scrolls, I need to determine if those Scrolls will also have the same upgrades.

I'm going to say probably, as they are all incremental improvements anyhow. Any other Hero still only gets to do what is printed on the card.

Edit: Fixed some typos.
Last edited by Kurgan on September 12th, 2020, 7:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Kurgan » September 12th, 2020, 1:38 pm

Upgrades for the "New Quartet" (Sorasil inspired) Heroes...

Edit: Updated a couple of things in both.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Kurgan » December 14th, 2020, 3:12 pm

Combat Card "rules" card (using the cards from Phoenix's site):

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Kurgan » December 14th, 2020, 4:07 pm

More thoughts on Elementals... (already introduced here)

So these Summoned Creatures as we know are uber powerful.

They must have weaknesses, right? Unlike most of the other examples of Elementals I've seen, instead of having absurd numbers of body points, or expiring after they kill a certain number of figures, these are based on turns. They will survive for 2-7 turns. They impart damage or other effects simply by passing through other characters. Some of them have spells they can use which diminish the remaining turns of "life" they have. They can't be harmed by conventional means.

However they can die under other conditions:

1) They Pass through another Elemental. This could happen if there were two Hero summoned ones, or in theory (If I were to allow it) if a bad guy summoned one. This could happen I suppose if I allowed someone like the Frozen Horror to use a bunch of Ice ("water") spells to summon an Elemental of his own. What a battle that would be! But Elementals are special beings, they don't fight, they just crush into each other and are simultaneously annihilated.

2) Weaknesses. Yes, certain spells could damage them.

I haven't decided yet if these spells will DESTROY them in one take, or if each hit simply diminishes a turn (instead of doing a body point of damage as they would against a conventional target). Maybe it should vary by power? The situation is that a Hero could destroy another Hero's Elemental but more practically speaking it would be a Chaos Sorcerer taking out the Hero's super gambit.

So here are the weaknesses as I originally conceived them:

Fire is vulnerable to Water/Ice or Earth, is not affected by Air (or Air might make it stronger)*
Earth is vulnerable to Water or Fire
Air is vulnerable to Fire
Water is vulnerable to Air or Ice

* Using an example here of Tempest. Maybe Tempest strengthens a Fire Elemental. Zargon would know this, but if he tried it on the Hero's Fire Elemental, it would gain a turn. The Heroes could use their Tempest on their own Elemental to give it another turn of "life." Swift Wind wouldn't make the Elemental move faster, but it might give it another turn of "life" as well. The opportunity to do something similar "strengthening" say an Earth Elemental with an Earth Spell wouldn't come up unless you had a Spell Scroll. This seems like it would be even more OP, but in those cases, we are talking about single use, rare Artifacts that are only giving the character one more turn, at best. But then in a turn, they could run over the big boss one more time! But that means you really had to save all your big stuff for the end of the Quest, so there's still a trade off.

So element based spells come into play here, but I suppose also certain magical artifacts might count as well, but probably not potions, since you are supposed to drink them, not throw them at the enemy. I can't imagine dousing a Fire Elemental with Holy Water, but it would be pretty funny, now that I think about it, especially if it took multiple attempts with a stack of vials.

In my version, unlike some others, the Elementals are under complete control of the Summoner. So there is no worry about having to "put down" a rogue Elemental. I suppose if that were a factor, it would be pretty tricky. However, a turn-coat Elemental could do a TPK fairly easily in certain circumstances.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Kurgan » December 18th, 2020, 1:03 pm

Elite reinforcements? In some quests, Zargon can bring reinforcements. Now when I said "not summoned or wandering monsters" I meant just that, I was thinking of bosses that use "Summon Orcs" or "Summon Undead" and the usual Wandering Monster (and Wandering Monster traps). But what about these? Depending on the difficulty, it might be fair to just apply the "roll for Elite" pass through the first round of reinforcements and then don't do it after.

More thoughts on Elementals...

Elementals work like this. They do most of their effects by passing THROUGH other figures, and they can pass through Heroes and their allies just as easily as Monsters, meaning be careful because all can be affected! What they can't do is end their turn on TOP of a figure, as cool as that might be to kill off a boss on his last body point. The only exception to this might be if they are in a Pit together, I suppose. Would they still damage the one they share the pit with? I would say, "yes."

Additionally, each Elemental creature has a special ability that depletes a turn. So if you had 3 turns left and you take your turn and then use that special ability you'd have used up 2 turns in one. Once out of turns, the creature is removed from the board.

Air Elemental: Has the power of Tempest, so passing through other figures has the same effect, making that figure lose a turn. Can attack once each turn on a single target with 5 Combat Dice (like a Genie). Also like a Genie it can attack a figure it can "see" with 5 dice, but this action depletes another "turn."

Fire Elemental: Has power of Wall of Fire, so passing through a figure forces them to roll 3 combat dice, and they take 1 BP of damage for each skull (no defense). Pretty powerful. The special ability is to use Ball of Flame on any figure it can see, but this depletes an extra turn.

Water Elemental: Very similar to Fire Elemental with its pass through ability being 3 dice, but its special ability is Sleep which depletes an extra turn.

Earth Elemental: This is basically a rolling boulder type monster. So when its standing still it's like a stone block (Heroes can't pass through it unless they use Pass Through Rock or the Cloak of Passage and they don't get hurt when doing so). It blocks the path of bad guys too. It only moves with 1 Die, but each figure it passes over rolls FIVE dice (very powerful). The Special Ability is to roll 2 movement dice but this depletes an extra turn.

As far as it goes, I would not allow Heroes to "buff" the Elementals with extra spells, except perhaps in the case of using an Air spell to keep a Fire Elemental alive for an extra turn, that sort of thing. The Elemental couldn't be strengthened with Courage. Elementals can't use potions or other equipment, can't open doors and can't search for anything. Even though they're huge, they can pass through OPEN doors. Once they're used up or destroyed, they're gone for good. If you want another Elemental you're going to have to sacrifice the right type/amount of spells/scrolls to summon another one.

Update:
I think I am going to impose another limitation, namely that each hero can only attempt ONCE to summon an elemental per quest. I say this because I have also allowed the ability to regain spells and collect spell scrolls, on top of the fact that the Wizard has at least three spell colleges (and if I implement the Wizard's Arsenal he can have more than three over time). If he gets very lucky rolls, this means most maps can be cleared out by the Wizard within three of his turns, more or less. Instead of making the bad guys suddenly immune to these creatures to compensate (though some already would be), limiting it to one usage (if you had both a Wizard and a Mystic that would be two possible) you could have a really good run and wipe out maybe 3/5 of a map, before it ran out. Then again you could also get terrible rolls and it would only be good for wiping out two enemies, but that's still very powerful (at the cost of a few spells... which again you might be able to regain or supplement).
Last edited by Kurgan on May 9th, 2021, 1:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext