• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Move 2D6 gives bonus?

Discuss new Rules for HeroQuest.

Re: Move 2D6 gives bonus?

Postby Kyle+ » September 15th, 2021, 9:28 pm

I know this question is from my reading of the topic heading from a slightly different angle, but I've been wondering: Is there a statistical advantage to rolling 2d6 for movement rather than 1d12? Is one more likely to roll a higher value with one or the other?
Kyle+

Goblin
Goblin

Forum Language: English (United States)

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Kurgan » September 15th, 2021, 10:12 pm

Depends what numbers are on the D12 faces I suppose, but if it's 1-12, right there you could roll a 1, whereas with 2d6 (1-6 on each) the lowest you could roll is a 2 with "snake eyes."

And dice aren't absolutely perfect, plus there's the surface they're rolling on, how much shaking is done and how far they can travel, gravity, wind speed... :geek:
But all else being equal I'd stick with the two cubes.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby cornixt » September 16th, 2021, 10:13 am

With 2D6, you are much more likely to roll the middle numbers than the extremes. There are 36 possible rolls on 2D6 which add up to 11 different results, but only 12 rolls possible on D12. When you sum multiple dice then you tend to get more average results.

There is a 44% chance of rolling 6-8 on 2D6, but only a 25% on a D12 which has an equal chance for each number. Less than 3% chance of getting a 12 on 2D6, but it's 8% on a D12. So you are going to get more of the high or low results if you use a D12 instead.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
cornixt

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Previous

Return to Rules