• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

WIP - Class Specializations

Discuss new Rules for HeroQuest.

WIP - Class Specializations

Postby Daria » May 28th, 2012, 8:34 pm

Recently started playing HeroQuest with some friends as a "easier to set up" alternative to roleplaying. That said the vanilla game is just a little too simple for my tastes. I thought it would give my players something to look forward to if they could choose a class specialization at the end of the initial 14 basic quests. I definitely want to expand my game into a lite-roleplaying system but steer away tracking XP. So advancement will be handled through equipment, and skill gains doled out after campaigns. Away here's what I have so far (unplaytested).

Classes are Warhammer inspired to stay true to the cannon of the game. Feedback and ideas definitely welcome.

Dwarven Class Specializations

Slayer
Skills & Abilities:
Rage: At the beginning of a new combat encounter the Slayer rolls 1 red die, on a roll of 5 or 6 the Slayer is furious and gains an extra attack. This effect lasts until no more enemies can be seen by the Slayer.
Slayers may wear no armour. Slayers are immune to "Fear". Slayers may never retreat from combat.

Hammerer
Skills & Abilities:
Tunnel: A Hammerer may use his mighty hammer to destroy one square of barrier (or wall) as long as there is an empty space on the other side. This action consumes the Hammerer's entire next turn; during which he is vunerable to attacks and may not defend. Only after the Hammerer has spent his turn may he learn if the target barrier was or was not able to be destroyed.
Bullrush: A Hammerer may push a monster back one square by rushing headlong into them. To push an enemy the Hammerer must move forward by at least one square, there must be an empty square behind the monster in the direction that the Hammerer was moving. Roll one red die, on a roll of 5 or 6 the monster moves back into the empty square. The Hammerer may spend the remainder of his movement points afterwards. Bullrush may not be used against monsters with a base larger than one square. (Credit: Skill directly lifted from Thrawn)

Thunderer
Skills & Abilities:
Armour Piercing: Monsters hit with a shot from a Thunderer's handgun roll one less white die to defend.

Wizard Class Specializations

Necromancer
Skills & Abilities:
Necromancers gain the chaos spell "Summon Undead", the effects of this spell last the duration of one combat encounter. Summoned monsters vanish when no other monsters can be seen by the Necromancer.
Necromancers gain the chaos spell "Fear". "Fear" may not be used against the undead.

Sorcerer
Skills & Abilities:
Sorcerers gain the chaos spells "Firestorm" and "Command". "Command" may not be used against the undead.

Battlemage
Skills & Abilities:
Battlemage may equip weapons and armour otherwise unusable by the Wizard. The Battlemage may only use two schools of elemental magic.

Elf Class Specializations

Rogue
Skills & Abilities:
Sense Trap: When the Rogue would trigger a trap roll a red die. On a roll of 5 or 6 on the red die the Rogue dodges the trap and automatically disarms it.
Backstab: During the first attack of a new combat encounter the Rogue doubles the number of white skulls rolled. This attack may not be defended against. Backstab is not usable against wandering monsters.
The Rogue may not equip the broadsword, longsword, or battle axe. The Rogue may not wear metal armour.

Ranger
Skills & Abilities:
True Shot: The Ranger may spend his entire turn aiming a ranged shot. During this turn he may not move nor defend. Treat one white die as an automatic skull which may not be defended against. Roll the remaining dice as normal.
Woodsman: The Ranger gains one defense die when fighting outdoors.

Spellsinger
The Spellsinger may use two schools of elemental magic.

Barbarian Class Specializations

Berserker
Skills & Abilities:
Berserker Fury: When the Berserker takes damage from a monster attack, he receives an extra combat die, on his following turn, usable against the attacking monster. (Credit: Skill directly lifted from Thrawn)
War Cry: The Berserker may spend half a turn bellowing a threatening War Cry. All monsters in the same room or corridor as the Berserker must move towards and attack him in the next combat round. Useable once per combat encounter. (Credit: Skill directly lifted from Ryno)

Swordsman
Skills & Abilities:
Riposte: When the Swordsman defends an attack, any white shields rolled beyond the number of skulls inflicted by the monster may be re-rolled as an attack. This attack may not be defended against. (Credit: Skill directly lifted from Thrawn)
Swordsman may only equip sword weapons.

Warrior Priest
Skills & Abilities:
Resurrection: Once per quest the Warrior Priest may pray over the body of a fallen hero. On a roll of 5 or 6 on the red die the Warrior Priest's prayers are answered and the hero is resurrected with 1 red die worth of body points restored. The Warrior Priest may not use any other action besides move this turn.
Healing Song: Once per quest the Warrior Priest may sing to an adjacent hero whom recovers up to 4 body points. The Warrior Priest may not use any other action besides move this turn.
Daria

Zombie
Zombie

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: WIP - Class Specializations

Postby Sjeng » May 29th, 2012, 1:08 am

Hi Daria! Welcome!
That's one helluva first post :D very nice ;)
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Maike05 » May 29th, 2012, 1:17 am

I just scan through, love it, but need to read it more thoroughtly. Welcome by the way

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Maike05

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby cynthialee » May 29th, 2012, 10:14 am

oh, my Goddess!!!
You mean I am not the only female gammer on this site!!!??!?!
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby torilen » May 29th, 2012, 11:48 am

Welcome daria - when I get the chance, I'll message you with a couple of texts included.
I have several lists of specialized characters just like you've done - got them off the old
aginn's inn - the precursor to this website. I think you might like them. I'll try to remember
to do this in the next day or two.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Daria » May 29th, 2012, 12:51 pm

Thanks for the welcomes. I stumbled on the site while researching ideas for my project. And since I was borrowing a few skill ideas, thought it was only fair that I share. Also input is always useful.

Cynthialee: Heh, I sort of figured when I joined that a forum dedicated to HeroQuest would very likely be a sausagefest. I was also surprised when I saw your screen name on the recently posted. :p
Daria

Zombie
Zombie

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby cynthialee » May 29th, 2012, 1:02 pm

Yes it is a sausage fest but at least the boys around here tend to mind their manners.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby drathe » May 29th, 2012, 5:47 pm

Welcome to the community!

We now have five female members that I'm aware of. Although one hasn't logged in since late 2009, another since late 2010. Currently three active female members.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby el_flesh » May 30th, 2012, 8:20 am

at least the boys around here tend to mind their manners.

BUUURRRRPPPP! mmmm that sure tasted better going down than coming up.

All jesting aside, (ya right, this is flesh talking) you *might* find that the summon undead is more useful if you give the undead no time limit. We originally used a die roll to summon 1-3 skel; 4-5 Zombeh; 6 Mommy.
"I will raise your dead body as an undead skeleton. Then I will make it do unspeakable acts. Like taking a shower." - El Flesh.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic.
el_flesh

Exiled
Exiled

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Templar » June 3rd, 2012, 9:49 am

Daria wrote:Battlemage may equip weapons and armour otherwise unusable by the Wizard. The Battlemage may only use two schools of elemental magic.

I think this makes the battlemage too strong. Not only can he get as well protected as the other, but he can also use the juicy weapons to get a good close combat offense ability. Taking away just one school of magic seems too little a downside to me...

My first thought was to allow him only one school, but that would make him very much like the elf. I would say, maybe only allow him to use weapons, but not armour, and two schools? Or perhaps, let him use both waepons and armour, but he only gets one spell each from the three schools he chooses? This would mean less spells, but most likely very powerful ones...sounds like a battlemge to me :mrgreen:

Just my opinion though...
"If you have to ask, you're streets behind..." - Pierce Hawthorn

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Templar

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Rules