• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

The Dragon Orb

Discuss Quest creation and share Quests/Quest Packs you've created.

The Dragon Orb

Postby Thor-in » June 16th, 2021, 8:28 am

Good morning fellow Inn Members.

Been awhile since I have actually posted anything here between the Facebook page and life getting in the way. However in my little space time to myself I have been trying to work on a new quest pack idea, that I'm very loosely basing on Dragon Lance Novels. None of the characters, dragon lances, ext will actually be put into this quest pack.

The "plan" is to have roughly five to six quests in this pack and for the Hero's to be able to defeat the Dragons they will have to find certain artifact weapon/weapons that are in a different Dragon layer.
Best way I can describe it is if you ever played Gauntlet Dark Legacy, too defeat the boss of level one you have to find a secret weapon in like level five I think.
I haven't been able to work on this project in a few weeks but I do plan on finally finishing one.

Here is just a few ideas that I have been throwing around, nothing is set in stone.

Any feed back from members would be welcome like always.

The-Dragon-Orb-Cover.jpg

Monter Chart.JPG

Black Dragon Card (2).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
:skeleton: "In The End We Are All Shadows and Dust" :skeleton:

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Thor-in

Scout
Scout

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: The Dragon Orb

Postby Kurgan » June 16th, 2021, 12:38 pm

With the loss of the Remake's "dragon" quest book (by Joe Manganello, [sp?]) that disappointed some, I'm sure you will find an audience here.

I actually saw a little resin chinese dragon in a shop the other day that was almost the right size (not dinosaur or house sized, but a "big monster" that the Heroes could find together and have some reasonable chance of defeating) and I bought it, thinking of using it in a future quest, so I'm not against the idea myself!

I've played my share of Dark Legacy (in arcades and on the PS2) but I don't remember the secret weapons being a requirement (they just make it a lot easier to beat that boss than if you don't find it). Maybe it's been too long but I seem to remember you got the "bad" ending if you just beat all the bosses, and the "good" ending if you found all the runestones (rather than just enough to "unlock" all the realms). There were some differences between the different console ports (just as there were with the previous Gauntlet Legends, DL was basically an expanded version of it anyway). Correct me if I'm wrong there. Those were fun games, if a bit simple and repetitive... one of the few times I thought a "3d remake" of a classic retro arcade game actually improved upon the original source material.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby iKarith » June 17th, 2021, 7:13 am

Thor-in wrote:Here is just a few ideas that I have been throwing around, nothing is set in stone.

Except the dragon orb, I hope?

*whispery, creepy AF dark-souled mage laugh*

Love the concept and the dragon. It's going to be hard to take that thing on.
<InSpectreRetro> All hail Zargon!!! Morcar only has 1BP.

Rewards:
Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!
Web Mage
iKarith

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Thor-in » June 17th, 2021, 7:19 am

Kurgan wrote:I've played my share of Dark Legacy (in arcades and on the PS2) but I don't remember the secret weapons being a requirement (they just make it a lot easier to beat that boss than if you don't find it).

You are correct they were not needed, but fun to find in my opinion.

iKarith wrote:Love the concept and the dragon. It's going to be hard to take that thing on.

Yes it is, in all my free time :?

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Thor-in

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » June 17th, 2021, 7:47 am

Kurgan wrote:With the loss of the Remake's "dragon" quest book (by Joe Manganello, [sp?]) that disappointed some, I'm sure you will find an audience here.

What does this mean please?

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » June 17th, 2021, 8:50 am

Sure.
About seven months ago the 2020 Hasbro Remake of Hero Quest had a fundraiser. The final tier was a new quest book (authored by Joe) with new tiles and a new Dragon miniature, but the pledgers failed to reach that goal ($4 million), so it won't be released. I had never heard of this guy before the fundraiser started, but apparently he's a big "dragons" guy in the D&D world, so I figured this would fill the void for those who were hoping his tier got "unlocked."

If you don't believe me, check any online discussion of the fundraiser, and you'll find people hoping for "the dragon" (posted before it ended) or after lamenting that it wasn't reached and hoping it would be released some other way (so far they've stated when a goal isn't reached, that won't be released). I think Hasbro goofed up, because they waited so late in the fundraiser to reveal that goal, so I "blame" them, not the fans. We're still getting two ostensibly brand new quest books (I only really cared about the Stephen Baker one personally, but not to rehash that whole discussion, there's already a mammoth thread on the remake).

So while I didn't care much either way, many of us have come up with our own ways we'd handle such a creature in our homebrew quests.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » June 17th, 2021, 10:41 am

Thanks.

I backed out of the new version. I have everything I want with the original stuff and I really didn't like the miniatures. I just hope I can get the new quest books somehow in the future.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Thor-in » November 17th, 2021, 3:38 pm

Here we go six months later, :lol: .
Here the map idea I started been toying with, nothing set in stone.
The Enterance.png

The Green Dragon.png

Dragon Orb (1).png

I was thinking with the inverted quad map that I could have four dragons that heroes would have to defeat.
One that controlled green skins (goblins, orcs, fimirs, ext)
One that controlled the undead (skeletons, zombies, mummies, ext)
One that controlled beasts (Skavens, beastmen, giants, ext)
The last one controlled chaos (chaos warriors, doom guards, dragon knights (which I think are a new idea), ext)

I liked the idea of the Dark Company map so much (after I picked up an official French copy off eBay) that I started writing the map in that style forgetting that I already made two maps :smack:.

Naturally, I don't have my notes anymore from the first two maps I started writing. The one place I haven't looked is in my work bag. I forgot the notes at home for the quad map, so I can't post them at the moment.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
Thor-in

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Thor-in » November 19th, 2021, 4:12 pm

Anderas did something sweet for me today to aid in my Dragon Orb quest.

258871321_4626754117347937_1753215477861868884_n.png

257931420_424790325775159_3870769309101144851_n.png

Shield Skeletons.
Movement 6
Attack 2
Defend 3
Body 1
Mind 0
Special Ability: If a Hero attacks and no skulls are rolled, the Sheild Skeleton gets an immediate counterattack that can't be blocked.

I still need to work on the monster card for it.
Any suggestions on states or ability are always welcome.

Rewards:
Thor-in

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Thor-in » November 23rd, 2021, 4:58 pm

The Dragon Orb (Cover - 6).jpg

The Ancient Entrance (2).png

Monster Chart.jpg

Current progress. Found some issues with the quest and the monster chart that will get fixed. Other people outside of here liked the look of this cover page better, and we are still working on the code to get the new icon working. Now onto quest number two of five.

Rewards:
Thor-in

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:

Next

Return to Quests and Quest Packs