• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

[Solo Quest] Wizard - A Maze Of Doors

Discuss Quest creation and share Quests/Quest Packs you've created.

Re: [Solo Quest] Wizard - A Maze Of Doors

Postby wallydubbs » February 10th, 2020, 12:01 pm

Anderas wrote:Why is Wallydubbs silent in this thread? It's a great quest, creative, maze-y, I like it.

Then, I am not sure about how to calculate the fights of this quest, to be honest.
Normally, when calculating, I just leave the wizard aside. He gets, like, 10% of the fighting; so has few influence.

Imagine the wizard has two healings, but uses them to less great effect when he has still 2 BP left, that makes a hero with 8 BP. An Elixir of life refills the dead wizard to 4 BP, makes 12. The Recall spell may be used to recall another healing that makes 14 BP to spend in this quest. Well. Minus one to survive.
If he goes to maximum risk and heals only when he's down to 1 BP, he can spend 3 BP more, that's 17 BP.

If I calculate this quest with the wizard as a hero with 8BP, 2 AT and 2 DE, he fights all the monsters, and three wandering monsters, then he dies. 97%. But the calculation is off somewhat, more of down this posting.

For this wizard, the monsters are just deadly.
Every Mummy costs 2.6 BP.
The Chaos Warrior costs 6.4 BP. (With both potions it costs less, around 1.5 BP with luck)
A wandering Zombie costs 1 BP (I took that one x3)
Two Orcs as group cost 3 BP
Three Goblins as group cost 3.3 BP
The Fimir costs 2.2 BP
Every Skeleton, if he fights them, costs 0.4 BP

in total the quest monsters cost 25 BP.
Traps cost 5 BP, but they're all avoidable.
Trap doors cost 2BP

But.
That's not taking into account wizard-like tactics, like running away from the mummies constantly instead of fighting them, and does not even start to think about the magic he may use here and there.
Great quest! Wallydubbs showed elsewhere that he is quite capable to exactly find the border of ouch; and he did it again :D |_P
Now I'd like to playtest it but no chance, wife and daughter are at home. :mrgreen:

Thank you Anderas, you're too kind.

I have playtested this quest on my own and with my girlfriend. That being said there are different methods of game play. One of which is the ratio of good-to-bad cards in the Treasure deck. My deck consists of 42 cards, only 16 are bad, giving it a 2/3 chance of something good.
Also I've made several minor adjustments to spells:
Tempest and Chains of Darkness work for an extended turn, so they're not entirely useless.
In the Sleep Spell I revoked the immediate recovery, since the monster gets to roll every turn; the Wizard's action is done upon casting it, so the monster doesn't get 2 chances to resist.
Courage does last if the Wizard casts it, however it only takes effect on his next attacks. So he can cast it before entering a room. (I went with the Ethica interpretation).
Water of Healing and Heal Body are meantioned below.

You did point out a fundamental flaw, I did not have an inexperienced player in mind when I put this together. Perhaps that was an error on my part. Yes, we totally used the hit and run tactic when dealing with Mummies.

In regards to the Body Point issue, some concessions were made due to the Wizard's handicap:
I should also explain, while playtesting this, I did allow his Healing spells to be cast action free. It's sort of a house rule of mine that Healing spells don't require an action in solo quests (unless it's a scroll needing to be read)
Also I'd like to point out in Castle of Mystery section (J) of the map, on a roll of 1 the Wizard loses 1 Mind Point, not body points.
Originally, when I put this together, there was a Potion of Healing to be found on the bookshelf in J room B. However, Drew being kind enough to put this together, ran out of letters in Hero Scribe so we had to cut that.

Also, my girlfriend managed to find a loophole in the Castle of Mystery (J) section when playing this. Upon teleporting she appeared on the space outside the door and fought the monsters 1 on 1 with the bottleneck strategy, so they could only get 1 attack in on her per turn.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby wallydubbs » February 10th, 2020, 12:07 pm

lestodante wrote:I have a couple of questions to wallydubbs:
What happens if the Wizard will use the Genie to open one of the D doors?
Can a Pass Through Rock be used to cross the walls and walk (for example) from position n. 3 to n. 4?

Lol, the Wizard may attempt to use Genie on a false door, but he'll just be met with a brick wall on the other side.
A stronger use of the Genie spell would be to open Door G and simply bypass the Halls of Vision (A) section (Yes, that is an option).

Yes, I would allow Pass Through Rock to work off the J rooms too. So they're more like a continuous Teleport Trap that doesn't go away.

Rewards:
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:

Postby Anderas » February 11th, 2020, 3:35 am

Heroscribe ran out of letters? Did you try Stratos' variant?

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Spookyhappyfun » February 12th, 2020, 8:20 am

I like this one a lot! It seems very fun and clever. Thanks for sharing!

Rewards:
Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Spookyhappyfun

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby lestodante » February 13th, 2020, 6:29 pm

Here is a version with the letter N near the cupboard in room J-B so you can implement the healing potion again.
I also added a Chaos Sorcerer icon instead of the X.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » February 17th, 2020, 1:49 pm

Thanks Lesto: but that was only part of the issue Drew had. I put way too many quest notes into it and he couldn't fit it all into the notes section.
Last edited by wallydubbs on February 21st, 2020, 11:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Rewards:
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:

Postby Pancho » February 17th, 2020, 4:03 pm

This is a very devious and ingenious quest! Thanks for creating and posting you guys.
The idea of using wall of stone on the pressure plate is wonderful. Please don’t tell the Wizard player this though if you run this quest. If a player worked that out, I’d for sure reward them later with something shiny.

Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges.
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Previous

Return to Quests and Quest Packs