• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

[Quest Pack][5 Quests] - Quest for the Shattered Amulet -WIP

Discuss Quest creation and share Quests/Quest Packs you've created.

Re: [Quest Pack][5 Quests] - Quest for the Shattered Amulet

Postby The Admiral » November 14th, 2020, 6:56 pm

j_dean80 wrote:Have you had a chance to play this one yet?

Not yet, but I have a massive folder of quests to play, along with a huge one of quests played. I haven't been playing HQ myself for a few months now, although I still play with my brother when we meet up. Which was meant to be next week, but that will now be in 3 weeks hopefully, when we will complete 'Adventure in Averland' (original title 'Adventure in Arcania'), and hopefully play the initial solo quests of 'Destruction of the Tomes'.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby j_dean80 » November 14th, 2020, 7:31 pm

I like how it turned out. If I drug out and added the other levels it would get quite boring with no objectives and take a lot longer. AHQ is more advanced because the players enjoy dragged out games. That’s why HQ is different. If you’d like to play random levels first then be my guest, but that’s not something to draw up. As far as the solo quest, it was a completely different quest that had nothing to do with the shattered amulet. I may do a one off on it at some point but for now am too busy.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Davane » November 15th, 2020, 11:29 am

j_dean80 wrote:I like how it turned out. If I drug out and added the other levels it would get quite boring with no objectives and take a lot longer. AHQ is more advanced because the players enjoy dragged out games. That’s why HQ is different. If you’d like to play random levels first then be my guest, but that’s not something to draw up. As far as the solo quest, it was a completely different quest that had nothing to do with the shattered amulet. I may do a one off on it at some point but for now am too busy.

I like how they turned out too, but some of the quests seem a little short without any sort of filler. They all had their unique features though, so I could see these as two-board quests, with a pre-generated random starting board just to fill them out. But, it's really down to personal preference.

I wouldn't bother with the solo quest though. It is literally a three-level random dungeon that you cannot escape from, where you control the whole party and are given 12 mercenaries to fight alongside you. There's absolutely nothing truly special about it, unless you want to draw up a random dungeon.

It might be worthwhile to include some revised tables for random generated HQ dungeons in with your quest pack to round it out, or simply just to mention using this approach as a way to flesh out the quests into two-board quests for a truer appreciation of the theme of the Quest of the Shattered Amulet.

I love HQ, AHQ, and WHQ for their own features, and quite enjoy combining what I see as the best parts of all three games into a single system. For me, the simplicity of the HQ combat system cannot be beaten, as combat doesn't feel drawn out or overly complicated. From AHQ, it has to be dungeon generation - but you do need to come up with ideas to keep it fresh if you use it a lot. Finally, from WHQ, I love the card manipulation, and have always seen the HQ Treasure deck as similar to the combined Treasure and Event decks from WHQ.

I know that for some, a key criticism for the random dungeon generation in AHQ is that it's too easy to create sprawling mazes that don't fit your playing area, but using the HQ board gets around this criticism. Of the three pages given to HQ in the AHQ rulebook, only half a page is actually given to random dungeon generation.

Ultimately though, this is a good quest pack, and remains true to the source material. I look forward to playing it in the future!
"The HeroQuest World is loosely based on the Warhammer World which is the copyright of Games Workshop and is used by their permission."

HeroQuest Combined English Edition Rule Book (HQ CERB)
Davane

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar

Postby The Admiral » June 26th, 2021, 12:57 pm

I am not sure how the WM's work in Quest 3?

When the first WM card is drawn a Plague Monk is placed and the second card brings on a Censer Bearer and so on.

Does the EW player have the option of not placing the WM when a card is drawn, but adding it to the central room instead?

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » June 29th, 2021, 12:22 am

The Admiral wrote:I am not sure how the WM's work in Quest 3?

When the first WM card is drawn a Plague Monk is placed and the second card brings on a Censer Bearer and so on.

Does the EW player have the option of not placing the WM when a card is drawn, but adding it to the central room instead?

If the last WM drawn was a Plague Monk then a Censer Bearer is placed when you set up the central room. If no WM have been drawn so far in the game, then both are placed in the central room.

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » June 29th, 2021, 4:21 am

Thanks, but I just want to clarify please.

If 3 WM treasure cards were drawn before the central room (Plague Monk/Censer Bearer/Plague Monk) then is a Censer Bearer placed with the central room forces, or neither? I assume it's neither.

Rewards:
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » June 29th, 2021, 7:14 pm

The Admiral wrote:Thanks, but I just want to clarify please.

If 3 WM treasure cards were drawn before the central room (Plague Monk/Censer Bearer/Plague Monk) then is a Censer Bearer placed with the central room forces, or neither? I assume it's neither.

Then, Censer Bearer. Stays with the rotation.

The idea was to have 1 in the room, but I didn’t want the Heroes to end the Quest without meeting each type at some point.
Waste of a monster type if they never met one of them, that’s why you place both if neither have been faced.

Rewards:
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby The Admiral » June 30th, 2021, 2:44 am

Thanks. I understand now.

Rewards:
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Previous

Return to Quests and Quest Packs