• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

[Quest Pack] [13 Quests] - Champion of the Empire

Discuss Quest creation and share Quests/Quest Packs you've created.

Re: [Quest Pack] [13 Quests] - Champion of the Empire

Postby The Admiral » July 26th, 2018, 1:02 pm

knightkrawler wrote:in the back of the quest book, at least the french original.
i think.

That's brilliant thanks.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby The Admiral » July 29th, 2018, 4:17 pm

It is interesting to note that of the 8 Special characters introduced in this questpack, only 7 of them can be encountered. There is no Slayer, although the Dwarf could become one.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » August 1st, 2018, 3:02 pm

Never noticed. I imagine he was passed over for the final confrontation as his ability is useless against Heroes/Champions. Or maybe he's just a dick.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » August 21st, 2019, 2:30 pm

I'm looking at quest 3 and wonder if the 'patrolling' Guards start on the board? I would think yes. Likewise I assume the solo guards don't start on the board, otherwise there would be nobody to appear on the raising of the alarm, unless of course they have all been previously seen by the Heroes.

Also, what is the point of the villagers? There are no rules regarding them such as having to get them off the board safely or stop them from being killed as in other quests. They can't attack anyone. Are they just supposed to get in the Heroes way and get killed. Would they prevent a room being searched as a regular monster should? I am thinking of just replacing them with Zombies.

Rewards:
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » September 14th, 2019, 12:08 pm

Not sure I'll get an answer to this, but in the starting room of Quest 13 is the double corridor to the north accessible. There is no double door as in quest 5, but no double blocked tile either. So either the corridor is not accessible, or else it should be set up with the Chaos Warrior straight away?

Rewards:
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Stig » April 13th, 2020, 9:59 pm

The Admiral wrote:I'm looking at quest 3...Also, what is the point of the villagers? There are no rules regarding them such as having to get them off the board safely or stop them from being killed as in other quests. They can't attack anyone. Are they just supposed to get in the Heroes way and get killed. Would they prevent a room being searched as a regular monster should? I am thinking of just replacing them with Zombies.

My guess is they’re just hangin’ around. At the start of the book it states that becoming champions of light is down to Zargon’s discretion and the villagers give the Heroes an opportunity to show their morality (or lack of).

A lot of this is about intrigue; I imagine a confused hero might attack a villager (“shoot first, ask questions later”), and if that happens Zargon may use that to prevent them becoming a champion of light. The Heroes might think the villager is Thorik, the target of the Quest. The Heroes might just kill everyone to ensure they get the right person. This Quest is played only if the Heroes killed the guards without paying in Quest 1, so they have a proclivity for violence. A dead guard here, a slain villager there; all the while en route to achieving a noble goal but actually taking the slippery slope to Chaos. The villagers give them an opportunity to act as champions of darkness. The villagers can be attacked by monsters, and if the heroes choose to protect them, they are behaving as champions of light.

To us reading the questbook they might seem pointless, but to those actually playing it increases the intrigue. What this quest can do, by planting soft villager targets, is to subtly seduce the Heroes to work for Zargon, and act as if they are, without them realising themselves. Killing everything mindlessly is precisely the behaviour of followers of Chaos.

Replacing the villagers with zombies would turn the Quest into a hack-and-slash, and avoids presenting the Heroes with a moral question - something very important in this quest pack; especially as after three quests they can become champions of light or darkness.

This quest has almost a complete lack of monsters and is set in a village where they need to kill a businessman - along the way shouldn’t the heroes stop for a moment and think about what they’ve set out to do? Basically running into a village and killing innocent people.

How to interact with a villager might be a tricky but revealing decision in the heat of the moment.

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Stig

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » April 14th, 2020, 10:30 am

My brother and I actually started to play this in March. He would normally come at Easter, but he couldn't make it and so had to come earlier, so we got it in just before lockdown. Plan was to finish in June, but I can't see that happening now. I just went with my Zombie conversion in the end. It was an interesting quest though (quest 3), as I rolled an 11 for the Guards 1st placement. If you look at the map you'll see that from there it appears they just moved there themselves, and that is what my brother thought was happening. I didn't disabuse him :evil: . I then proceeded to roll 11 for the next two turns, by which time he thought he was well away in the bottom left of the map. I then rolled a 5 and was right on top of him! He was outraged. "You can't do that" he said, until I explained how the Guard rule works and that their initial rolls just lulled him into a false sense of security.

Rewards:
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Stig » April 16th, 2020, 12:47 pm

Ahaha that's great, so he thought they'd move like 3 squares and be insignificant, but then they're on top of him. It's great when the Quests make twists that neither Zargon or the players can see coming. Enjoy the rest of the Quest - have you thought how you're going to do Quest 5 - Requiem for a Ball - with only two of your taking the role of Zargon, Champions of Light, and Champions of Darkness?

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Stig

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » April 19th, 2020, 4:13 pm

Stig wrote:Ahaha that's great, so he thought they'd move like 3 squares and be insignificant, but then they're on top of him. It's great when the Quests make twists that neither Zargon or the players can see coming. Enjoy the rest of the Quest - have you thought how you're going to do Quest 5 - Requiem for a Ball - with only two of your taking the role of Zargon, Champions of Light, and Champions of Darkness?

Yes indeed. I often make changes to questpacks; some cosmetic, some major. With this questpack I actually did away with the whole light/dark champions choice. Our Heroes were considered the good guys as usual. The baddies were a set of champions from House Trell based on the darkside champs in the quests. There was Augustus Trell (Necromancer), Svalbard the Slayer (Barbarian), Black Mask (Dark Elf Assasin), and Korohm the Roaring (Dwarf Berserker). The first three formed the dark party for quest 5. Ideally a third player would have played them. but I played their roles, and it was an interesting quest. Quest 3 was played after 5 as a double quest combined with quest 6. The stairs down to the mausoleum with Hector Galinicus being found in the central room where the Dwarf was Korohm.

Rewards:
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Crusader » May 26th, 2020, 11:24 am

I came across this expansion pack a while ago and really liked the look of it. I recently started to print off the various new cards etc and thought I would make up a box using the pictures contained in the download.
You guys have done a great job of translating everything but I noticed that the box pictures still had the French wording so I did a translation of that and made an English version. It all fits on 2 x A4 pages and comes out a little bit smaller than the box for the European Witch Lord expansion box but only opens at one end.

For anyone interested, the links are here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g35baoc0y1o14 ... t.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jl84cd3p1brx2 ... 1.jpg?dl=0
Crusader

Goblin
Goblin

Previous

Return to Quests and Quest Packs