• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

[Quest Pack] [13 Quests] - Champion of the Empire

Discuss Quest creation and share Quests/Quest Packs you've created.

Re: [Quest Pack] [13 Quests] - Champion of the Empire

Postby Daedalus » May 14th, 2018, 8:15 pm

As I've mentioned before, I'd like to see the localized two-page Quests of Champion of the Empire returned to their original one-page format. It requires some text manipulation to reduce the overall size, as Ghan's personal formatting allowed for more stylistic wording to be included on a single page. Still, I think emulating his one-page format at the cost of reworking some text is a worthwhile trade. I feel everything-at-a-glance best serves his overall design intention (except for Requiem for a Ball.)

With that in mind, I edited Quest 3, Screams in the Night, to fit onto a standard Quest page. This subsumes that the Parchment Text is slimmed a bit by eliminating the bottom blank line. At least I assume a line of text could fit at the bottom when I compare it to some of Phoenix's Parchment Text entries from his localized Quest Book, A Gathering Storm.

If I'm mistaken, it still would be possible to lose a line by further reduction of the Parchment Text. Knightkrawler or drathe, if you take this up, let me know if it's necessary to cut the fluff further. Should you (or another) find the time to create and link to a one-page version of this Quest, I'll then reduce and reformat the other two double-page Quests.

Following is the single-page edit. The Parchment Text is first. The left-hand column of Quest Notes immediately follows. A page-break line separates the bottom of the left-hand column from the top of the right-hand column of Quest Notes. It isn't actually intended to be part of the format. A similar line follows the right-hand column.

"Your exploits are already known across Stolland, and the patriarch of House Trell has learned of your more sinister deeds. The Guard-slaying at the Pass of Mount Clair has given Trell a precious tool of pressure over you. Thus, he has entrusted--or rather burdened--you with a delicate task: the assassination of Thorik, a rival merchant. A Dwarven Revealer and House-Galanicus secretary of the treasury, his luxurious residence lies in the center of town. Although the night shall enfold you in darkness, the Guards search every alley at times like these. So take care, my friends." [-1 line, 2 lines if the bottom blank is removed]
NOTES: [-1 line after moving up]

The Heroes play this Quest only if they did not pay the toll in the first Quest, "The Pass of Mount Clair". Otherwise, they continue on to the Quest, "The Tomb of the Rooster King." Should a Hero choose to become a Champion following this Quest, he may not become a Champion of Light. [-1 line]

A) Town doors are firmly closed. To open a door, a Hero must first roll a combat die: If a skull is rolled, the door will remain closed; if a white shield is rolled, it will open; and if a black shield is rolled, the noise will alarm those guards who can "see" that door. The gates leading into town or a door leading into the dark portion of the map can never be opened. [-1 line]

These Guards are on patrol. They move on the Zagon's turn by rolling two red dice. The dice total equals the number of the map square where one of them will end his movement. The other Guards are set as close to him as possible. The patrol randomly moves around town until the alarm is sounded, or they "see" a Hero whom they then will follow. [-1 line]

The alarm sounds if a Guard is attacked or when Thorik (room C) moves on either square marked "X." Immediately put all remaining Guards on the gameboard, who move and attack normally. Their stats are as follows: [-1 line]

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Wandering Monster

____________ ________ ________ ______ ______
MOVEMENT ATTACK DEFEND BODY MIND
. . . .. 8 . . . . . . . . 3 . . . . . . 5 . . . .. . 1 . . . . 3

B) This chest contains 200 gold coins.

C) This is Thorik's house. Use the Chaos Warlock figure to represent Thorik. Place it on the square marked by a Dwarf icon. Thorik is a Dwarven Revealer, equipped with a halberd, chain mail, and a Potion of Resolve. [-1 line]
MOVEMENT ATTACK DEFEND BODY MIND
. .. 2 Dice . . . . . . 3 . . . . . . 3 . . .. . 4 . . . . 6

The first Hero who searches for treasure will find an artifact, the Talisman of Lore, at the fireplace. It's use is explained on the matching Artifact Card. [-1 line]

in this Quest: Guard
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby knightkrawler » May 15th, 2018, 12:08 pm

I won't take this up.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » July 22nd, 2018, 12:19 pm

I posted this in the wrong place. This is where it should be!

In Quest 3, Screams in the Night, the 'Heroes' are trying to assassinate the Dwarf Revealer Thorik. Thorik is the Treasurer for House Galinicus, which turns out to be the good house. There are two Zombies in the room with Thorik. Do they fight with the Heroes or for Thorik? They appear to be on guard for him?

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » July 23rd, 2018, 9:08 am

without going through the expansion again, looking for context and storyline issues, i'd simply say: if the notes don't contradict this, then monsters are the enemies of heroes.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby The Admiral » July 25th, 2018, 2:50 pm

knightkrawler wrote:without going through the expansion again, looking for context and storyline issues, i'd simply say: if the notes don't contradict this, then monsters are the enemies of heroes.

Yeah, but it is more complex in this situation. The Heroes, unbeknownst to them at this stage, are actually fighting for Zargon. Thorik is on the side of the Empire. My usual response would be the one given by you, but in this case I'm really not sure, because why would a goodie have Zombies as allies?

I might simply replace the Zombies with a couple of Guards protecting Thorik.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » July 25th, 2018, 4:57 pm

Maybe Thorik uses a Revealer trick to restrain and then release the Zombies to attack would-be assassins?

Replacing the two Zombies with Guards is generally more believable, but the alarm rule necessarily includes these new Guards as well. This can have one of two undesirable effects. First, an attack on another Guard will cause them to leave Thorik undefended. Second, attacking either of these two Guards would sound the alarm and make Thorik's escape attempt rather pointless.

These eventualities aren't game breaking, though they can be avoided. Of course, you have the option of exempting them from the alarm rule simply because you can. Another way to go would be to make them Villagers but use Zombie stats. Chaos Warriors with 1 BP could also do the trick.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » July 25th, 2018, 5:41 pm

The Admiral wrote:
knightkrawler wrote:without going through the expansion again, looking for context and storyline issues, i'd simply say: if the notes don't contradict this, then monsters are the enemies of heroes.

Yeah, but it is more complex in this situation. The Heroes, unbeknownst to them at this stage, are actually fighting for Zargon. Thorik is on the side of the Empire. My usual response would be the one given by you, but in this case I'm really not sure, because why would a goodie have Zombies as allies?

I might simply replace the Zombies with a couple of Guards protecting Thorik.

I think it's one of the hints the heroes gotta take to not go for the Dark side, to be honest. I remember finding a few of those when translating and now that you express it that way, I remember this was my original thought about this.

Rewards:
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby The Admiral » July 25th, 2018, 6:09 pm

Daedalus wrote:Maybe Thorik uses a Revealer trick to restrain and then release the Zombies to attack would-be assassins?

Replacing the two Zombies with Guards is generally more believable, but the alarm rule necessarily includes these new Guards as well. This can have one of two undesirable effects. First, an attack on another Guard will cause them to leave Thorik undefended. Second, attacking either of these two Guards would sound the alarm and make Thorik's escape attempt rather pointless.

These eventualities aren't game breaking, though they can be avoided. Of course, you have the option of exempting them from the alarm rule simply because you can. Another way to go would be to make them Villagers but use Zombie stats. Chaos Warriors with 1 BP could also do the trick.

Ah yes, the alarm rules. Okay, make them the two bodyguards, and don't let the Heroes hire any bodyguards this quest. Two bodyguards feels right as well.

Rewards:
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » July 26th, 2018, 9:15 am

KK,
Do you know where the special room tiles are available for printing?

Rewards:
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » July 26th, 2018, 10:24 am

in the back of the quest book, at least the french original.
i think.

Rewards:
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to Quests and Quest Packs