• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

[Quest Pack] [13 Quests] - Champion of the Empire

Discuss Quest creation and share Quests/Quest Packs you've created.

Re: [Quest Pack] [13 Quests] - Champion of the Empire

Postby knightkrawler » May 18th, 2017, 1:05 pm

A little late, but here we go:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tdbwhwzxld920ss/AACioSnOSr_up6cs2q7FoBqpa?dl=0

StratosVX updated the Quest Book.
Now there is low, medium, and high quality PDFs of the Quest Book
in printable booklet format AND readable screen format.
Six versions to pick your favorite...

And then there's the Champion Cards in American format, with some artistic licenses taken,
done by StratosVX with input from me.

Thanks, S.! |_P
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby StratosVX » May 18th, 2017, 8:17 pm

No problem! You did more than provide input though. Give yourself proper credit

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Scribe of Heroes
StratosVX
I hate snakes, Jacques...

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » May 19th, 2017, 3:22 am

I am on my way to download it.
Thanks a lot for this! It's lots of work redoing a questbook.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » May 19th, 2017, 11:36 am

Thanks Ghan, KK and Daedalus. This is amazing. I so much prefer the style of the NA version.
Is Solland, the old province of Stolland? it was certainly to the south of the empire.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby thequester » May 19th, 2017, 12:22 pm

The Admiral wrote:Thanks Ghan, KK and Daedalus. This is amazing. I so much prefer the style of the NA version.
Is Solland, the old province of Stolland? it was certainly to the south of the empire.

According to this map:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/af/91/04/af91046966df8e40b6a6c49d5959569b.jpg
Solland is the same area as Wissenland.
I remember reading somewhere that it was called Solland during the first editions of Warhammer, then later it was renamed to Wissenland. In-game there might be some history related to the change of names.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Killed a mighty Fimir!
thequester

Fimir
Fimir

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » May 19th, 2017, 6:24 pm

thequester wrote:Solland is the same area as Wissenland.
I remember reading somewhere that it was called Solland during the first editions of Warhammer, then later it was renamed to Wissenland. In-game there might be some history related to the change of names.

Sorry, I meant to say is Stolland the old province of Solland.
Yes you are correct. Warhammer history has Solland as a province between Wissenland and Averland. It was amalgamated with Wissenland to form a larger combined province.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby TMU » July 25th, 2017, 8:03 am

Finally! Been waiting for this one quite some time ;) Hard work pays of, eh? A big thank you to all who participated on this |_P
"There is no greater danger than playing it safe."

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Second Lieutenant
TMU

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Daedalus » July 31st, 2017, 1:15 am

Here is the first of two posts with some edit suggestions for the cards--use 'em or lose 'em. They use styling conventions from the NA game, though certain EU elements could be retained and still work okay.

Although the great majority are already fine, a few of the cards have jagged cuts inward in the margins of the text. I'd suggest evening it out a bit.

Borin's Helmet: This magical helmet gives you 2 extra combat dice in defense. . . .
Lance of Radiance: This bright spear gives you the strength of 2 combat dice. Alternatively, the lance can shoot a lightning bolt once per turn as a ranged attack that causes 2 combat dice of damage.
(I feel a specifying a singular bolt once per turn reinforces the attack limit rather than depending on it for interpretation. It's might just me being a rules-lawyer, but using plurals feels vague when defining magic bolts. But sure, your text can be understood by any reasonable reader.)
Ethereal Punisher: This broadsword gives you the attack strength of 3 combat dice, or 4 combat dice against an opponent who casts spells or possesses an Artifact.
Crown of the Rooster: . . . The Hero may choose to convert to a Berserker or Protector if he is the Barbarian, an Assassin or Sage if he is the Elf, a Necromancer or Seer if he is the Wizard, or a Revealer or Slayer if he is the Dwarf. Once used, this Artifact must be discarded for the rest of the Quest.
May only be used once per Quest.
(In the original thread, I had added a sentence about previous abilities being unavailable. The same is more briefly clarified by changing "ascend" > convert.)
Ahlin's Orb: . . . Before discarding a spell, roll 1 combat die.. . .
Bodyguard:. . .
Cost: 30 gold coins
Scholar:. . .
Cost: 30 gold coins
Special ability: Picks 1 unchosen
Special ability: spell for a Quest
Stollander: . . .
Cost: 20 gold coins
Summon the Dead: This spell returns from the dead up to 2 Companions to fight for the spellcaster. Roll 2 combat dice. For each skull rolled, he may draw 1 Companion Card. Place the Companion shown on the card next to the spellcaster and take one turn with it immediately.
This spell is then discarded.
May only be cast by the Necromancer.

(Ressurrect makes me think that a dead Companion/Companions are already present with the spellcaster to be returned to life. Summon makes me think dead Companion(s) needn't already be present, but simply show up magically. To resolve this, I went back to "returns from the dead."
I retained ghan's original "next to the spellcaster" as it best approximates how NA spells place summoned monsters.
Since the NA rules specifically direct a spellcaster discard spells in p.15 of the Instruction Booklet, NA spell cards don't include "The spell is then discarded."
Page 3 of Champion of the Empire, New Magic Powers, already explains the limits for casting Necromancy and Life spells, thus the strike-through of text which I didn't feel was necessary. Of course, keeping the text as a reminder doesn't hurt anything.)
Ghoul: This spell May be cast on any 1 Hero, including yourself.. . . This spell enables the spellcaster to absorb life force from the dying, regaining 1 Body Point for each monster that dies within his line of sight.
The spell is broken the moment you can no longer "see" a monster. . . .

(He devours feels deliberate to me, like an action, so I retained the more passive ". . . enables the spellcaster to absorb . . .".)
Crumble: . . . Place a secret door tile, which can be passed freely, adjacent to a wall. If the space beyond isn't part of the Quest Map, then treat it as an empty room or corridor. :?:

(NA rules don't permit corridor searches, so I kept ". . . then treat it as an empty room or corridor. . . .)
Halberd: This spiked, axlike polearm gives you the attack strength of 3 combat dice. The halberd enables you to attack diagonally, but you may not use a shield when using this weapon.
Magic Ammunition: These enchanted projectiles allow you to add 1 combat die attacks with one ranged weapon. However, as soon as you roll at least 1 black shield during such an attack, the last piece of magic ammunition is used up. and this card must be discarded.
(Multiple-use artifacts from the EQP mention the cessation of usefulness without discarding, thus the strike-through.)
Plate Helmet: "Plate Helmet" > Great Helm
This enclosed head protection
gives you 2 extra combat dice in defense. Unfortunately, due to its weight its restriction of your vision, you may only roll 1red die for movement while wearing it. . . .
Warhammer: "Warhammer > War Hammer This iron maul gives you the attack strength of 4 combat dice. Unfortunately, due to its weight, you may only roll 1 red die for movement. . . .
("Warhammer", the game, had been changed to War Hammer in your old files.)
Medicine Kit: This healer's kit allows you to heal yourself or another figure in an adjacent square, but not yourself or a figure with zero Body Points. As an action, roll up to 3 combat dice. For each skull rolled, the kit restores 1 Body Point. However, if a black shield is rolled, the kit's supply is used up and this card must be discarded. . . .
(I swapped out the "not yourself" restriction to cut out unnecessary gear-swapping that would follow as the Hero who bought the kit would certainly expect to be healed as well.)
Wizard's Staff: Spell Staff
This ornate staff
gives you to attack
strength of 1 combat die. You may also
attack diagonally. Once per Quest, you
may roll a number of combat dice equal
to your current Mind Points. For each
black shield rolled, select a spell card
from any unchosen spell group or from
the Hero spells discarded in the Quest.
. . .
(The NA game already has an artifact named "Wizard's Staff," so a new name is in order that also works for the Elf. It had been renamed it Staff of Sorcery in your old files, so that name can work , too. I don't believe the staff should allow a Chaos spell to be chosen and cast, so I added "Hero" to spells discarded.)
Short Bow: The short bow gives you the attack strength of 2 combat dice. You may fire at any monster that you can "see." However, you cannot fire at an adversary that is adjacent to you. You have an unlimited supply of arrows.
May not be used by the Wizard or Dwarf.
(I went with the NA crossbow text modified a bit. It matches the other weapons better, where line of sight isn't defined while "see" is. As I don't see the advantage of restricting the Dwarf to a more expensive and powerful crossbow where size isn't the issue, I'd recommend keeping the Dwarf restriction only if you mean to stay true to ghan's original.)
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » August 2nd, 2017, 11:40 pm

Here are the edit suggestions for the rest of the cards. They use styling conventions from the NA game, though certain EU elements could be retained and still work okay. Many suggestions from both posts could also apply to the EU.

Banishment: This spell will inflict 2 Body Points on an undead monster (Skeleton, Zombie, Mummy, or Wraith.) anywhere on the board. The monster then rolls one red die. If a 6 is rolled, the damage is reduced by 1 point.
The spell is then discarded
(NA damage spells default to what a Spellcaster can "see" rather than "anywhere on the board" of their EU equivalents.
NA Spell Cards also exclusively use red dice to reduce spell damage or effects that don't originate from an attack.)
Willpower: This spell summons an adamant spirit of combat to possess every Hero in the room or corridor. Until the spellcaster's following turn, Zargon may not use the melee rule to exchange positions when an adjacent or diagonally positioned monster's attack reduces the BodyPoints of an affected Hero.
The spell is then discarded.

(I changed . . . "any one room or corridor" > the room or corridor to better agree with NA LOS casting rules. "Any" could be interpreted as anywhere on the game board.)
Incarnation: This spell summons a divine agent to possess a Hero anywhere on the board. That Hero may add 1 extra combat die when attacking and defending. The spell is broken the moment he can no longer "see" a Hero. The spell is then discarded.
(I wonder if the spell is to powerful, as the Heroes have a large measure of control over the duration. I think when the Hero suffers 1 point of Body damage would be more sensible.
Armor of Lead: This spell may be cast on any one Hero or monster, encasing him in an armor of lead. The target may not move or take any action during his next turn, but he also does not lose any Body Points for any reason. The spell is then discarded.
Transmutation: This spell will transform one Hero or monster into a pile of treasure worth 100 gold coins. The victim immediately rolls one combat die for each of his Body Points. If the target rolls anything but a skull, he or it is unaffected. The next Hero to search for treasure in the same room finds it.

(I kept the original chance to negate the spell tied to Body Points for balance reasons. Otherwise, monsters with many Body Points could be wiped out half of the time, same as a Goblin. Even worse, the Heroes might be forced to face the same odds at the end of the Quest Pack with a single die roll. I removed the search sentence because the location of the treasure pile is known and NA rules allow an unlimited amount of items to be picked up without an action.)
Debase: This spell will transform any one piece of equipment in the possession of a Hero or monster. The spell replaces that item with a less expensive item of the spellcaster's choice. Artifacts are not affected.
Stolland Knight: (It's okay, but looking at the stats it's too similar to an NA Chaos Knight. Is it worth a Monster Card?)
Fimir: (good)
Villager: (good)
Guard: . . .
Special ability: Can attack
Special ability: diagonally
Wraith: . . .
Special ability: Can ignore walls
Special ability: and furniture
Portal of Souls:
This spell opens a gate leading to the land
of the dead. Place the Portal of Souls on the
gameboard. Each monster that you kill is
pulled into the portal and immediately called
back before it with 1 Body point as your
Companion.
The Portal of Souls may not be
moved and stays open until the end of the
Quest.
Place this card beside the gameboard
for reference.

(For further limiting this very powerful spell I went with allowing only monsters killed by the spellcaster to return, which also saves a die roll.
I understand that a monster must return as near as possible to the portal, not where it was killed. Otherwise, what is the point of locating the portal? Stating ". . . called back before it . . ." clarifies this requirement.
If you keep the Necromancer restriction in, you can change ". . . until the end of this he Quest" > for the Quest to make everything fit properly.)
Touch of Death: This spell may be cast on any one Hero or monster adjacent to you. The spell drains the life force out of your adversary with a mere touch, allowing you to attack the victim once with 6 combat dice. He may defend normally. The spell is then discarded. May only be used by the Necromancer.
Transfer: This spell may be cast on any one Hero or monster on the gameboard. The spellcaster transfers his spirit to the target's body, and rolls one combat die. If a skull is rolled, his body and soul transmigrate and he may exchange positions with the victim. The spell is then discarded.
Poison: . . . You lose 1 Mind Point.
Do not return this card to the treasure card deck. until the end of the quest!
(". . . to the deck." matches NA Treasure Cards. If you don't agree with the strike through, capitalize "quest."
As it is a negative Treasure Card, I wonder if the the last sentence is a mistake left in by ghan. Shouldn't it be changed to "Return this card to the bottom of the deck."?)
Travelling Merchant: . . . The Heroes may purchase any available item from the Equipment deck for the listed price plus 50 gold coins.
Do not return this card to the deck until after the quest.
Potion of Tainted Healing: . . . If you choose to drink it, roll 4 combat dice. You restore 1 Body Point for each skull rolled, but you lose 1 Body Point for each black shield rolled.
Potion of Resolve: . . . On the turn you drink it, Zargon may not use the melee rule to exchange an adjacent or diagonally positioned monster with you when its attack reduces your Body Points.
(Pertinent rules as a reminder on the card beat referencing in my book, so I kept the part about Body Point loss. Also, rule sections aren't capitalized as far as I know, so melee was left lower case. I dunno--you could use "melee" as a quoted term, like "see".)
Wandering Traitor: . . . The nearest Companion, Mercenary, or Villager is permanently replaced by a Guard that moves and attacks you. .
(Figures with cards are considered components in the NA game, so they are referenced with capitalization. Note "Man-at-Arms" > Mercenary.)

Based on the Old Scratch thread, a couple of cards are aren't accounted for: Wand of Recall (possibly not the standard one and should be renamed) and Potion of Velocity.

Otherwise, that should be it. As editing is so time consuming for me, I can't be sure when I'll have time to look over the Quest Book.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » August 3rd, 2017, 1:12 pm

Thanks for doing this again.
I hope at some point I'll have the time to make new cards,
but in the meantime I guess these suggestions are free for anyone to use on editing the cards.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Quests and Quest Packs