• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Monster patrol in the dungeon ?

Discuss the creation of new Monsters and share Monsters you've created.

Re: Monster patrol in the dungeon ?

Postby Maurice76 » March 3rd, 2019, 2:40 pm

I wouldn't consider each individual member of a patrol with regards to position and movement. Rather, I would take the patrol marker to be the general whereabouts of the patrol. Once it encounters the Heroes and the patrol is revealed, simply place the patrol members near the tiles of the markers. Possibly some members of the patrol could still be around the corner, out of sight - but being part of the patrol, they can move and engage the Heroes on the EW turn, revealing themselves at that point.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Jafazo » March 3rd, 2019, 5:27 pm

Here's one possible way to do it.

Place your special Patrolling Monsters on the map anywhere you like. Anytime a patrolling monster is placed onto the board by Zargon he immediately rolls a combat die. If a skull is rolled the patrol monster spots the Hero. Tell the Hero, “A patrolling monster has spotted you!”, move it adjacent to that Hero and makes a free immediate attack. That Hero's turn is over. If a skull is not rolled tell the Hero, “You see a patrolling monster but it hasn't spotted you yet.”. Treat the monster normally.
Unless you specify your version I'm going by the US rules.
Jafazo

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » March 3rd, 2019, 8:00 pm

Spotted not spotted would be an important part to add to how this could work. It could use MIND to determine how effective they are at spotting you. I have something similar in the SNEAKING hero trait.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby tallyho » March 4th, 2019, 8:05 am

Good ideas :)
But im still hanging on the Direction dice idea, It will keep the players on edge and the Game Master ever so frustrated :evil: .
Also i will use the outer hallways corners as a "straight line" no need to use the direction dice.
And if the Direction dice doesn't deliver, that's where the the Patrol stops, until next GM turn.
Also i like the idea that the Game Master, for once, has no control. That will add a element of frustration to the GM. Arrrgh
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by tallyho on March 18th, 2019, 9:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
TakeAway
tallyho

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Maurice76 » March 4th, 2019, 8:50 am

You could simplify it to some degree: simply make a copy of the dungeon map and write down the numbers 2 to 12 at random in various tiles of the map, at about 4 tiles apart each time. Roll 2D6 at the start to determine where the patrol begins (and since 2D6 gravitates towards 7, it's best to put 7, as well as 6 and 8 diametrically opposed from the Heroes' entry location - but that's up to the EW). Then, during each of the EW's turns, roll 1 combat die to see where the patrol is heading:
:skull: = move to the next numbered tile, in the direction of the Heroes
:whiteshield: = move to the next numbered tile, away from the Heroes
:blackshield: = the patrol remains standing where it is

Saves you the hassle of the magnetic board, all you need to do is keep track of which numbered tile the patrol is at; you could simply write down the number. You can have the patrol move through rooms that way, too, so you can even use this mechanic in maps that are low on (connected) corridors. Your patrol route also doesn't have to form a closed loop, as a line that's traversed up and down works just as well.

Furthermore, you might also want to consider what the patrol does when it hears combat sounds from a room or corridor next to the location they're in.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Azure » September 17th, 2020, 3:04 pm

I will definitely use this idea in my games from now on. This is pure genius.
Azure

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:

Previous

Return to Monsters