• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

what are your average boss stats?

Discuss the creation of new Monsters and share Monsters you've created.

what are your average boss stats?

Postby DullandRusty » October 31st, 2017, 3:15 pm

for those that create their own difficult monsters and bosses, what kind of stats are you using for a baseline? related, do you prefer long lasting battles where the boss has high BP (much greater than the heroes) and high defense so the heroes have to whittle away at the boss till ultimate victory, or do you prefer BP equal to or less than heroes but high damage and defense stats? i tend to like having a long difficult battle for bosses (nothing worse than a suped up barbarian coming in and with some lucky dice one shoting the boss you were so excited to unleash against the party) :evil:
DullandRusty

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: what are your average boss stats?

Postby Anderas » October 31st, 2017, 4:17 pm

I prefer higher BP.
They protect reliably in the beginning, but later they disappear reliably, too.
Walrus dice are not very helpful for this task so I stop with four or five maximum, then I raise the BP instead.
I tend to give the important bosses also 3 or more MP as save against sleep.

On the attack side I go between 3 and 6. If it shall be more then I change rules, add spells or use other dice than normal.

Additional "stats" are in a pre-boss-room, to drain some potions and spells from the group. Otherwise the real boss dies to fast.

Sigh. I have to play again. Ts been too long.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Patroclus » October 31st, 2017, 5:49 pm

You can start from 8 Body if your group have not great equipment. On the other hand if you want the battle to last longer, you can try 12, 15, or maybe 20+. Have in mind though, a boss with very high Body should have a normal attack of 3 dices or else you will wipe your group for sure. Bosses with 5 attack should have about 8-12 body, don’t try anything greater than this. But some people uses the American rule for potions, so they could handle that kind of enemy if they have enough with them.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Patroclus

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » October 31st, 2017, 5:54 pm

A boss depends on how difficult the quest has been up until that point...
But an average boss in my homebrew quests would be something like:

4 or 5 Attack
6 Defense
4 MP
10-12 BP
6 Movement

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby whitebeard » October 31st, 2017, 6:45 pm

I tend to have weaker bosses BP-wise for my quests with maxed out "Champion" heroes. When you see the objective as lasting multiple turns and killing a player or two, then BP is just one way... but explaining why an evil mage has more BP than the Barbarian needs to be part of the story. What you need is an attack first capability, a healing potion, a magic shield on the first turn, a vampiric blade, surrounded by monsters AND furniture AND traps. Letting only one player attack per turn or nullifying the buffed first attack / Tempest spell will make a weaker boss more dangerous. Draw the heroes into the room, hit them with an area spell, then escape spell to 12 steps down a hallway and use lightning as they charge you. Superior strategy = strength. My bosses are usually strong this way, not the other.
Has resigned from the forum and would delete his account if he could.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby DullandRusty » October 31st, 2017, 11:01 pm

great examples and ideas. thank you all. that gives me some good starting point ideas. Thanks again!
DullandRusty

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » November 2nd, 2017, 12:37 am

I'd prefer to give them traits. Something to spice the game up rather than simply increasing stats. Things that make the minions stronger in their presence!

The curse on this tomb is strong, the undead are easily reanimated and must be finished off. Move onto a downed monsters square and spend your attack action. At the start of the EW's turn roll 1Cd6 for each downed.
Skull: Reanimated
BShield: Explodes
WShield: Nothing Happens
Explodes represents the reanimation energy failing and each adjacent hero gets to roll 1Cd6, losing 1BP if not rolling a WShield.
Now the boss room can turn into one crazy fight scene. Heroes choosing between getting a wound in on the boss, downing a monster or finishing one off.

Waaagh! in the presence of a chieftain any skulls an Orc rolls in defence are hits against the attacker, even if killed. The Orc lustful for blood sinks himself on your blade, foregoing defence to scar your skin.

Ancient magic enchants the Chaos Warriors armour through it's Orb. A BShield rolled in attack against them negate a skull. Destroy the source of power to remove the effect.

Tail Bash! A Fimir champion gets a free counter attack if not killed when attacked. I give this to Fimirs by default

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby DullandRusty » November 2nd, 2017, 10:29 pm

i like to do things like that as well mitchiemasha... I have even done boss phases. (heroes get the boss down to x bp and then something about the fight changes, such as minions are called in, or the boss changes attack styles, say he now puts a lifesucker mob on a hero that will widdle down the hero's bp each player turn. so everyone has to choose attack the lifesucker or the boss depending on how close to finishing off the boss they are) things like that make it fun in my opinion to add variety, however i find if the boss is not high enough in stats of bp, the fun phases never occur bc they get finished off too fast. sometimes I also like to have a few skills for the boss such as general attack or a spell or 2 or other action, and each is attached to a number on a dice. roll the dice and a random boss action occurs on its turn so you and the heroes have no idea how the fight will unfold. the same fight can play out completely different in another run of it by this method. i dont like to always do that, but sometimes it does offer a little randomness and variety just to break up the style of combat here and there.
DullandRusty

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » November 4th, 2017, 3:52 pm

DullandRusty wrote:however i find if the boss is not high enough in stats of bp, the fun phases never occur bc they get finished off too fast.

Easiest way to do that is for him to either 'magically' disappear or escape through a trap door into another room. Which is what happens with the sorcerer in the room i used the reanimated undead.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby benvoliothefirst » November 4th, 2017, 5:13 pm

Some GREAT ideas in this thread so far folks! Keep 'em coming!
wickedmetal.blogspot.com <--I paint HeroQuest!
My players' monthly game results
Mods I Use:
Base Quests in four difficulty steps by Anderas
Random Events by Jacob Busby (pg.5)
Karlen's Circlet by AerynB/drathe/sajungzak
Heartfelt thanks to all of you who have worked to enrich the world of HeroQuest!
Goblin-King wrote:When life gives you lemons, squeeze those lemons into your eyes, enter a berserker rage and punch life in the face!

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
benvoliothefirst

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Monsters