• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Beefing up the Gargoyle

Discuss the creation of new Monsters and share Monsters you've created.

Re: Beefing up the Gargoyle

Postby cynthialee » August 15th, 2015, 9:46 am

Well now that isn't exactly fair, even if it is flattering.
Yes my gargoyle will eat your hero if given the chance, but the heroes are very well equipped for their missions and 3 or 4 skilled heroes should be able to down the gargoyle after a long combat. (Or they could get lucky like last time I pulled out the extra beefed up Gargoyle....Barbarian gets a 5 Point Hit and I roll out a grip of skulls on my defend roll. Dead Gargoyle in the first turn sequence he was discovered.)
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Daedalus » November 8th, 2015, 4:25 pm

Sometimes I'm bothered that the Gargoyle and other figures that take up so much space on the board aren't large monsters like the Frozen Horror. I'm also thinking about the Polar Warbear, and perhaps the Yeti and Ogres. As large figures, they would take up 2 squares and be granted diagonal attacks.

Besides assigning a Gargoyle large monster status, I'm also partial to slev's ranged whip attack to keep the Wizard threatened.

One trick I've never seen implemented is an alternative figure for the Gargoyle. I say this because the description of the Gargoyle at the back of the MGS Quest Book notes: "...In essence, they are stone statues of great monsters, brought to life through arcane rituals...." A great monster needn't always be a bloodthirster. Why not set up a Quest or Quests with a variety of statues? Examples could include a minotaur, a smallish dragon, or any other similarly imposing figure. Any one of them could be a special trap-activated Gargoyle or just a normal statue as decoy.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » November 8th, 2015, 4:46 pm

I re-named the Gargoyle Golem and use this figure:

I bought two of them to paint them up differently, as if they consist of different materials (various metals, clay, rock, a skull...).
One of them will have glowing features, the other won't.
I look forward to painting them up for my base set of villains.
While I'll still put them on one square bases (my board has 37 mm), they are gonna have reach attack (two squares when counting for movement, that means two squares straight or one diagonal).
Rather powerful specimens will have earthbased spells. I mean, take a look at that thing... the base in the picture is 40 mm.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:

Postby Daedalus » November 8th, 2015, 5:11 pm

ZOINKS!
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » November 8th, 2015, 5:33 pm

That from Scooby-Doo?
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby cynthialee » November 8th, 2015, 5:41 pm

Daedalus wrote:Sometimes I'm bothered that the Gargoyle and other figures that take up so much space on the board aren't large monsters like the Frozen Horror. I'm also thinking about the Polar Warbear, and perhaps the Yeti and Ogres. As large figures, they would take up 2 squares and be granted diagonal attacks.

Besides assigning a Gargoyle large monster status, I'm also partial to slev's ranged whip attack to keep the Wizard threatened.

One trick I've never seen implemented is an alternative figure for the Gargoyle. I say this because the description of the Gargoyle at the back of the MGS Quest Book notes: "...In essence, they are stone statues of great monsters, brought to life through arcane rituals...." A great monster needn't always be a bloodthirster. Why not set up a Quest or Quests with a variety of statues? Examples could include a minotaur, a smallish dragon, or any other similarly imposing figure. Any one of them could be a special trap-activated Gargoyle or just a normal statue as decoy.

Rock it out!
Great ideas. I tend to only use the Gargoyle Bloodthirster as it is the only mini in my HQ pile that looks like stone. Now I do have a proper gargoyle in my RPG stuff...somewhere. This post has me thinking about painting a giant spider and an Ettin in stone colors.

They gave us a quest design supplement and a place for homemade quests in the basic book. The rules also state that quest notes take precedence over written rules and card rules.
So if it is in the quest notes, and there are mechanics that are functional, then it is acceptable.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Daedalus » November 11th, 2015, 1:20 am

knightkrawler wrote:That from Scooby-Doo?

Good call. That's the Spooky Space Kook--looked it up. You're Golem was scary enough to merit a zoinks.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:

Postby Bareheaded Warrior » December 11th, 2015, 6:15 pm

To power up the Gargoyle I was thinking of two different creatures using the same model. The Gargoyle is the animated stone statue that we are all know and love but have you ever wondered what was the inspiration for the statue, meet the Balrog. Ten foot high wreathed in smoke and flame immune to fire and fire spells armed with a broadsword and a whip of fire - and the ability to Breath fire - as fireball spell every other turn (provided the creature is not engaged in close combat)

New Equipment; Whip - ranged attack up to 4 squares causing 1 CD damage

Flame Whip - as whip but extra die for fire damage - combined with Balrogs strength enables it to whip and if hits with both dice then drags victim into cc. Once Balrog dies then it evaporates into smoke taking the sword and whip with it (unlucky) - but leaves a firestone - worth a few squid
:skull: = white skull, one "hit"
:blackshield: = black skull, one "hit"
:whiteshield: = shield, cancels out one "hit"

Editions: 1989 Original First Edition [FE] and Second Edition [SE], 1990 Remake [US], 2021 Remake [21]

HeroQuest Gold new edition based on Original 1989 HeroQuest, holes patched, dents hammered out, buffed to a shiny finish with ~50 common issues fixed for a smoother experience.

HQ Common Notification System to identify squares on the board
Bareheaded Warrior

Scout
Scout

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby alyndavies » December 21st, 2015, 5:35 am

Maybe he can attack twice, once with the sword and once with the whip?
alyndavies

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby TMU » February 27th, 2016, 4:14 am

Daedalus wrote:ZOINKS!

Ruh roh! That's me and my friend at the last normal day of high school :P
"There is no greater danger than playing it safe."

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Second Lieutenant
TMU

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Monsters