• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

New HeroClass: Necromancer

Discuss the creation of new Heroes and share Heroes you've created.

Re: New HeroClass: Necromancer

Postby Diggin » April 16th, 2015, 1:10 pm

I made a bunch of spellcards (and a European card for the hero) but unfortunatly i am too much of an idiot to know how to show a PDF file in here

the deck now has
2 Life Steal, 1 Shadow Bolt, 1 Abomination!, 7 Summon Skeletons, 4 Raise Zombies (removed the sacrifice, they didnt use it)

the cards i added:
- 2 x Bone armor, can be cast on one of your minions, to add +1 defense, as long as the spell remains. can only be cast if a creature died recently.
- 3 x Soulharvest, place in front of you, you take 1 less damage from your next summoning spell, can only be cast if something died recently.
- 1 x Haunted! Place on an enemy, it gets attacked by a ghost at end of each of his turns, 1 attack dice, defend with their Mind points. if it kills, i jumps to another monster if it sees any.
- 9 x Death Bolt, ranged attack for 1 damage, can defend with mind points (undead defend with 5) you may choose to discard Death Bolts from hand to add 1 attack dice to the attack for each discarded Bolt.

The bolts seem like a good way to make the deck cycle through, but maybe this guy is much stronger than the Wizard like this.
-
"Good and Evil, there never is one without the other."
Diggin

Fimir
Fimir

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Tott » April 17th, 2015, 5:18 am

everybody is stronger than the wizard anyway.
Tott

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby IvenBach » April 17th, 2015, 12:01 pm

Tott wrote:everybody is stronger than the wizard anyway.

The sad truth has come out.

Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
IvenBach
The NEEEEEEEEEEEERD!!!

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Daedalus » June 4th, 2015, 2:33 pm

Diggin wrote:I made a bunch of spellcards (and a European card for the hero) but unfortunatly i am too much of an idiot to know how to show a PDF file in here

You have Champion status now, so try the Upload attachment tab at the bottom of the POST A REPLY screen. Copy and paste the filename and the hit the Add the file button.

Another option that is friendly to the Inn bandwidth is to use a public image sharing sight (I use Flikr.) First, right click and copy the image address. Then paste it in your post using the Img tag button at the top of the POST A REPLY screen.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby el_flesh » June 5th, 2015, 7:59 pm

Why would a Necromancer be any stronger than a wizard, though?
I think Necros should be just as weak in body, strong in mind, maybe have an innate magical ranged attack.
They absorb the life of any dying life adjacent to them. They sacrifice BP for raising undead.
"I will raise your dead body as an undead skeleton. Then I will make it do unspeakable acts. Like taking a shower." - El Flesh.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic.
el_flesh

Exiled
Exiled

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby cynthialee » June 5th, 2015, 9:58 pm

I can not agree with the minions rolling for white shields. They are lowly undead, they should defend with Black Shields.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Diggin » June 6th, 2015, 5:39 am

@Daedalus: thanks for the heads up, i'm looking at Dropbox tutorial right now to get this started, but the necromancer item and spell cards i have now need a revamp, so it'l be a few days before i post them.

@Cynthialee: yes, you're right. Black Shields are better, those summoned creatures already absorb plenty of attacks, no matter what shields they roll.

Here's a question, if you summon an skeleton, should it have a form of summoning sickness, or is it ok if it moves and/or attacks in that same turn? i think it's a tough question, because our necromancer usually summons one right in front of her to block incoming orcs off. If the skeleton can attack one orc is probably gone, if it cannot attack asap, its probably gone (especially with black shields :p ) opening the summoner for attacks. She doesn't offer much of a fight.

@Elflesh: it's a dilemma really, because the necromancer now starts out with 6BP to have the juice to summon a few creatures, but he's low Mind, which doesn't make sense for a castertype... Especially because i want to add wands and staves that require high MP to use

The current Necro-deck mostly consists of a wand attack, which is 1 dice, but is boosted with 1 for every other wand attack currently in hand.summoning a creature costs 1BP(and the spellcard), if it doesn't cost BP he may summon way too many to be balanced.

maybe it's better to alter the summoning process. How about making the Necromancer 4BP 6MP like the Wizard and allow to summon undead equal to their MP (giving summontokens at start of quest)
and maybe ALSO allowing them to sacrifice a BP to summon an extra.

This way the Necromancer won't go "NO, i'm not summoning that skeleton, i won't have lives to search for treasure n jump into a trap"
but you know when the Q starts out you probably end up summoning 6 undead, not ure how good or bad that is...
"Good and Evil, there never is one without the other."
Diggin

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Count Mohawk » June 6th, 2015, 7:33 am

Diggin wrote:This way the Necromancer won't go "NO, i'm not summoning that skeleton, i won't have lives to search for treasure n jump into a trap"
but you know when the Q starts out you probably end up summoning 6 undead, not ure how good or bad that is...

Summoning an undead figure should cost an action. If a Quest is being played properly, there probably won't be enough downtime at the start of the Quest to summon all 6 undead before combat begins. Undead are generally slow and may have a hard time keeping up with the Necromancer. Additionally, if they want to get better minions than the basic Skeleton, they should have to spend a Body Point or two.
Diggin wrote:If it (that is, if summoning) doesn't cost BP he may summon way too many to be balanced.

Consider the impact on the game of hiring 4 Men-at-Arms for each Quest. The Undead (except for the Mummy) are weaker than those figures, so they will have a correspondingly lesser impact, even if there are more of them. Whether or not this ability is stronger or weaker than a normal Wizard's selection of 9 spells, I couldn't say; you'll have to assess how much power you're willing to allow the Necromancer yourself.
Diggin wrote:Here's a question, if you summon an skeleton, should it have a form of summoning sickness, or is it ok if it moves and/or attacks in that same turn? i think it's a tough question, because our necromancer usually summons one right in front of her to block incoming orcs off. If the skeleton can attack one orc is probably gone, if it cannot attack asap, its probably gone (especially with black shields :p ) opening the summoner for attacks. She doesn't offer much of a fight.

According to the play of Chaos summon spells, Summoned figures may move and attack on the turn they are summoned. I think this would apply to Hero-summoned figures as well.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Marquis of Math
Count Mohawk

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby el_flesh » June 6th, 2015, 9:14 am

I agree with Cynth about the defense; black shields it should be. My minions were far too powerful in Beernut's quests; but then, he was keeping his young boy, Zebs of Doooom, engaged at the time. Now he's 16, time for the "shilky toucchu*" gloves to come off.

The Nec works good with gaining a BP back when a monster dies adjacent to him. You can extend the range to 2 squares as the quests get harder; call it "leveling up" or grant some kind of Necro artifact that does this instead. The Nec is the opposite of the barb: barb = mondo damage in one package, Nec = lots of dmg diffused through several minions; same as Zarquon.
You could make summon = turn's action BUT also summon instead of attack!
The Nec walks a fine line between being a teammember that needs to be played very carefully to avoid death (haha), or a way OP leader that dominates the game time. I think you should give the players the choice each turn: only one summon, but they decide if it's action or attack to do it...every turn.
That flexibility might be just perfect.

I don't get why wiz or Nec should have 2 defense; they're weaklings who need to stay back and use their brains while the brainless behemoths fight in front.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic.
el_flesh

Exiled
Exiled

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » June 6th, 2015, 11:00 am

2 Defense are good - otherwise they are just too much high-value targets which are far too easy to kill.
High value - easy to catch - you do it first priority. He would die every game.

4 Body and 6 Mind points are good. The proposal to have one summon token per mind point, costing an action each, is also good.
Having one extra summon for the cost of a BP is also good - the combined cost is the action plus the BP, so this is quite expensive.

I don't think the summoning of skeletons is too strong. All six of them defending on black skulls are strong like two or three henchmen. Plus if they can't open doors, have no long range attack, no diagonal, no good armor - they really are limited. More so if you use the original HQ Board with one-square wide aisles; there they would stand in the way more than they'd help.

Now for me there can be a problem if you allow him to gain BP through dying models. Suddenly the cost of a BP is not as expensive as it was intended to be.
Maybe you give him a spell that costs an action to use - "Cost: Action. Discard this spell. Gain 1 BP if a model died in this room this or last round".
That way, you have a limit - the amount of these spells you put in the card deck.
You have additional cost of one action to use the spell;
and finally it is quite situational - you have to be at the right time in the right place to use it; so in some cases you have an additional cost of one movement in a direction you didn't want to go.

I like your way of building your hand of cards.
I would do it slightly different, of course, because it's me and i always have my own ideas.... :oops: :P

If you allow him to draw MP cards each turn, he'll scan the entire deck in a few rounds. Why not allowing him to draw as many as he needs to fill his hand (maximum MP cards), plus two. Then put under your deck just enough cards to have MP cards on your hand.
(or the other way round - first put under the deck a maximum of two cards, then take new cards)
That way, you can make an additional artifact that allows to draw more cards, a second artifact that allows to hold more cards on the hand, a third artifact to allow to discard a third card. A spell scroll allows you to search for a distinct card. You also force him to use his spells, otherwise he wouldn't find the uber-card he searches in the deck.

Well, but that's just me. :D I like the way how personal card decks work.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Heroes