• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Chaos Elemental Spells

Discuss card making and cards you have made.

Chaos Elemental Spells

Postby Phoenix » November 25th, 2008, 11:47 pm

So, while in the throes of re-making all of the cards; i've decided to include Elemental Categories to the Chaos Spells. Would anyone like to add some input? Here's what I've come up with so far... Most of these are contextual only (Mind Freeze and Rust for example are 'Water' spells, etc.).

Air
Blinding Sleet
Cloud of Chaos
Death Bolt
Dispell
Escape
Hurricane
Lightning Bolt
Mirror Magic
Skate
Spirit of Vengeance
Tempest
Thieving Wind

Earth
Call Skeleton
Command
Earthquake
Mind Blast
Raise the Dead
Shield of Protection
Summon Goblins
Summon Mummy
Summon Orcs
Summon Undead
Summon Wolves
Werewolf's Curse

Fire
Ball of Flame
Dispell
Domination
Fear
Firestorm
Madness
Orc Berserker
Reanimate
Restore Chaos
Sharpen Blades
Skulls of Doom
Wall of Flame

Water
Chill
Ice Storm
Ice Wall
Mind Freeze
Mind Lock?
Ruse
Rust
Sleep
Soothe
Strands of Binding
Wall of Ice

This is a pretty fair distribution of Elements (12/12/12/11)

Using my House Rules (The Imperial Academy) it is sometimes necessary to know what 'element' a spell comes from. This is the sole reason for doing this. Any thoughts?

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
The Great
Phoenix

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Chaos Elemental Spells

Postby drathe » November 26th, 2008, 8:24 pm

I think you've fit them well into the four elemental categories. Blinding Sleet could go in either Air or Water and wouldn't alter the balance at all. But yeah, good job placing them into elements. I'm interested in your Archmage ideas for elemental weakness and resistance I read at Old Scratch's.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Phoenix » November 29th, 2008, 11:09 am

Aeromancer – The aeromancer is adept at using the power of air. Each Quest you have all of the Air Spell Group available to you, as well as a selected Wizard Spell group. You may prevent from falling into a Pit Trap or being affected by poisonous gas traps by rolling lower than your current Mind Points on 2d6. The aeromancer is automatically affected by earth-based spells.

Geomancer – The geomancer is well skilled in the forces of the earth. Each Quest you will have all of the Earth Spells available, as well as a selected Wizard Spell group. You gain the ability to detect Pit Traps in the same corridor or room you are in, up to 3 squares away (this ability is automatic when more than ½ of your Mind Points remain). You are also able to ‘feel’ the ground and receive a Movement bonus of +2. The geomancer is automatically affected by air-based spells.

Pyromancer – The pyromancer is a master of flame. You will have all Fire Spells at your command each Quest, as well as a selected Wizard Spell group. Your mind is keen enough to deter Chaos Fire Magic (by rolling lower than your Mind Points on 2d6). The pyromancer is automatically affected by water-based spells.

Aquamancer – The aquamancer is well versed in the power of the waves. Each Quest you are given all of the Water Spells and a selected Wizard Spell group. Before a Quest begins, you may make a Healing Potion that adds 1d6 Body Points (must roll lower than current Mind Points on 2d6). During a Quest, provided that your Mind Points are greater than ½ you may be able to deter the effects of poison (by successfully rolling a Skull on 1 Combat Die).

This is a brief synopsis of what the Archmages will be able to do. There is still some tweaking that will need to be done.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
The Great
Phoenix

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby drathe » November 29th, 2008, 2:06 pm

I like'm!

Question: With 'automatic' abilities if more than ½ mind points remain, is there a roll if less?

Suggestions: With regards to balancing them, I would have Fire automatically affected by Water (like you have), but have Air automatically affected by Fire (air feeds fire), Earth affected by Air (like you have) and Water affected by Earth (I know earth is eroded by water, but earth can absorb water, obstruct water, direct water etc). This allows each to have a strength and weakness. As it stands now, Water has no weakness and seems like the best choice to study. Especially with the aid of creating a potion of healing each quest.

In short:
Water -> Fire -> Air -> Earth -> Water

Just a suggestion though. I believe the special abilities of each fit well.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Phoenix » November 29th, 2008, 3:41 pm

Sorry 'bout that, yes, water is weakened by earth. missed that somehow. oops:

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
The Great
Phoenix

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Usergroups:

Postby Kurgan » August 23rd, 2021, 12:17 pm

Great list. I agree with most of the designations (though I think mental abilities could be water, I tend to associate them with air).

A few I might squeeze into Darkness/Protection/Detection similar to the non-elemental Hero spells. I would use these categories in terms of bad guys summoning elemental creatures, similar to the rules I came up with for heroic summonings. Good stuff!

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Return to Cards