• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Dungeon furniture card - A solo / cooperative system

Discuss card making and cards you have made.

Dungeon furniture card - A solo / cooperative system

Postby Maike05 » November 24th, 2020, 3:37 pm

Hi Guys,

I've been working on a solo system with cards. I'll share here is my work in progress as I go.
The current version of the Furniture deck includes 22 cards, with a certain number of variations.

I'm working on Furniture card using the original artwork from the game. All original furnitures are supported.
I began to add some additional classic fantasy furnitures such as crates, barrels, fountain, well. Happy to receive feedback and requests !

As for the design, each card contains an illustration and a random table (D6 or D12) telling what you find when searching for treasures.
There often a chance that the furniture is a mimic or that a wandering monster appears, similarly the orginal Treasure deck.
Bookshelf can lead to secret passage like in some of the Quests.

The goal is to arrive at a Solo / cooperative mod in which these furniture cards will take place:
[list=]Dungeon cards
Furniture cards
Monster Encounter or Event cards [/list]

Please stay tuned for updates !

Rather than uploading all pictures here, I made a collage. This will give you a good overview.
BeFunky-collage.jpg

All cards are in French for the moment, but I plan to add support for the the tongue of shakespear and other language as well !

I made a word document with a free translation from Google. I would really appreciate help from a friendly inn members here !
To translate.docx

Again any comment and positive criticism are very welcomed !

Hope you enjoy !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Maike05 on November 24th, 2020, 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Maike05

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Dungeon furniture card - A solo / cooperative system

Postby Oftkilted » November 24th, 2020, 4:13 pm

:? When I attempt to open the document it tells me that the document format is invalid.
Oftkilted

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:

Postby Maike05 » November 24th, 2020, 4:52 pm

Can you retry ?

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Maike05

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Oftkilted » November 24th, 2020, 8:21 pm

Maike05 wrote:Can you retry ?

That works! |_P
Oftkilted

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:

Postby QorDaq » December 4th, 2020, 3:46 pm

This project looks very cool, and it's been a long time coming in my opinion--Kudos!

Next a disclaimer; I do not speak or read french. I am also no authority on the English language, so what follows are just my thoughts on refining the existing translations. In these cases, my suggestions are not meant to correct grammar so much as reflect my thoughts on what sounds right (again, to me). In some cases these changes might even be semantic as much as anything, or may simply suggest a change to reflect the name of a particular piece of furniture in the English (or at least NA) game.

Going from the document you linked... Instead of translating each card, I'll suggest my preferred option for the text that is repeated on one or more cards. For example:

Vous ne trouvez rien d'intérêt -- You can't find anything of interest --> You find nothing of interest.

----------------------------------------------------

Suggested Changes

Contenu de la Bibliothèque -- Content of the Library --> Contents of the Bookcase.

Vous ne trouvez rien d'intérêt -- You can't find anything of interest --> You find nothing of interest.

Découvert d'un passage secret dissimulé! -- Discovered a hidden secret passage! --> You discover a secret passage!

Découverte d'un passage secret dissimulé! -- Discovery of a hidden secret passage! --> You discover a secret passage!

Morsure de rat ! (perte d'un pt de Corps) -- Rat bite! (loss of a Corps point) --> Rat bite! (Lose 1 Body Point).

Contenu du Buffet -- Buffet content --> Dining Table.

Le Buffet est une Mimique! -- The Buffet is a Mimic! --> The Table is a Mimic.

Festin ! Regagnez tous vos pts de Corps -- Feast! Regain all of your Corps points --> Feast! Regain all lost Body Points.

Bière des nains. -- Beer of the dwarves. --> Dwarven Beer. (Optionally; Dwarven Ale).

Rien d'intéressant... -- Nothing Interesting... --> Nothing of interest...

Contenu des caisse:s -- Box contents: --> Crate contents: (NOTE: Box does work fine, however I feel that Crate instead of Box, is more in keeping with how these sorts of scatter terrain are commonly referred to in English).

Une des caisses est une mimique ! -- One of the crates is a mimicry! --> One of these crates is a Mimic!

Contenu du Chevalet de torture: -- Contents of the Torture Easel: --> Contents of the Torture Rack:

Contenu du Coffre: -- Contents of the Safe: --> Contents of the Chest:

Contenu de l'Établi d'alchimiste: -- Contents of the Alchemist's Workbench: --> Contents of the Alchemist's Bench:

Regagnez tous vos points de Corps! -- Regain all your Corps points! --> Regain all lost Body points!

Eaux polluée ! (Perte 1 pt Corps) -- Polluted water! (1 pt Body loss) --> Polluted water! (Lose 1 Body Point).

Contenu du Pupitre de sorcier: -- Content of the Wizard's Desk: --> Content of the Sorcerer's Table:

Hache d'armes. -- Ax of arms. --> Ax or Axe. (Alternately Battle Ax or Battle Axe?)

Cote de maille. -- Mesh dimension. --> Chainmail.

Arc à flèche. -- Bow with arrow. --> Bow and Arrows.

Masse d'arme. -- Weapon mace. --> Mace.

Liqueur des orques. -- Orca liquor. --> Orc Draught.

----------------------------------------------

I appreciate that differing opinions on some of these suggestions likely exist. It is not my intent to claim my ideas are the correct or even the best options, they're just my thoughts.

Again, great project here, and I look forward to seeing where it goes.

Success to you!
maj! = Klingon word for "Good". Used in the context of "I approve".

- vay' DaneHbogh yIchargh!
QorDaq

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby torilen » December 4th, 2020, 5:34 pm

This is pretty sweet. Better than the "heroquest-style" card game I have been working on for over a year now.

I'd have to take a look at your dungeon room cards a bit more. I really like how your monster cards change
based on how many players there are. And the furniture cards offering the treasures is great.

I'm not certain I like the design of the cards themselves...maybe it is just because you have them on dark
backgrounds? I don't know - something just doesn't hit me right, but it could just be personal preference.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Maike05 » December 10th, 2020, 9:50 am

@QorDaq: thanks for your reply and suggestions for the wording of the cards. Ahaha it’s super funny how Google translated some of the text. I actually did not read before posting. I’m going to have a go at translating the cards as soon as I can and your suggestions will be very helpful. I’d like to stay as precise and faithful to the original wording as I can.

@Torilen: feel free to drop by any suggestion. I’m eager to improve the cards.

As next steps, there is an improvement I want to add before I call it done: all cards should be numbered. In modern dungeon crawlers, the quest book tells you which cards should or should not be included in the quest. I want to be able to do that in the end.

Obviously, the deck will need to further expanded with more classical dungeon elements: giant mushrooms, altars, portal, etc. I don’t want to go crazy a create a billion different cards, but a good variety allow more replayability. If you guys can link to any good inspiration it would be great!

Rewards:
Maike05

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby QorDaq » December 10th, 2020, 4:22 pm

Maike05 wrote:As next steps, there is an improvement I want to add before I call it done: all cards should be numbered. In modern dungeon crawlers, the quest book tells you which cards should or should not be included in the quest. I want to be able to do that in the end.

This would make designing more thematic dungeons simpler. I like it.

Maike05 wrote:Obviously, the deck will need to further expanded with more classical dungeon elements: giant mushrooms, altars, portal, etc. I don’t want to go crazy a create a billion different cards, but a good variety allow more replayability. If you guys can link to any good inspiration it would be great!

Expanding beyond the game's furniture is what I'd want to see as well. One obvious place to start could be the list of furnishing or "Features" from Altar Quest. many are repeats of HQ, but there are a handful of unique pieces as well. Another potential source of inspiration might be WizKidz Deep Cuts line, which includes a nice assortment of dungeon themed scatter. Starting with readily available pieces makes inspiration and availability easier, I'd think.
maj! = Klingon word for "Good". Used in the context of "I approve".

- vay' DaneHbogh yIchargh!
QorDaq

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » February 11th, 2022, 11:41 pm

Nice set, Maike05! I always knew someone would get around to making a furniture deck, and yours do it perfectly. I wrote up but never shared my set, which was originally planned to look much like yours. One of my unsolved issues was the card back. Have you found one?
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Anderas » February 14th, 2022, 12:08 pm

I like this card set!
I have a friend who uses tables with a d100. I think that's maybe a little exaggerated. :-)

I like cards because they are easily expandable and I like ideas for solo questing. Thank you!

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Return to Cards