• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Updated Equipment Shop

Discuss card making and cards you have made.

Updated Equipment Shop

Postby clmckay » January 4th, 2019, 9:26 am

HI,

I've been in the process of upgrading and tweaking the equipment that we use in the game. I think it's in a final state, but I thought I'd throw it up here for anyone who wanted to look it over.

We've used this system for years and it works well for us. Since we use the colored dice, the armory system reflects them. The "Regular Armory" cards reflect the ones used 90% of the time. All the other (the vast bulk) are shuffled into the active equipment deck depending on the location they're in. That makes it highly versatile and give me a great deal of control over what they have the ability to buy at any given time. In between quests 10 cards are dealt from the active equipment deck this represents what they can buy at that shop. There are some "dead" cards that serve no true value to the heroes, but players have this remarkable ability to find uses for them anyway. Occasionally I'll deal more if the first 10 were amazingly crappy or I know they need a little something more. I accidentally uploaded a few of the potions too, they aren't really part of this, there is a separate potion shop. There is also other equipment not included here (belts, doodads, etc), since those cards weren't touched or tweaked in this round.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/z0ghfnmhyrg3 ... ySGGa?dl=0

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
clmckay

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Updated Equipment Shop

Postby Spookyhappyfun » January 7th, 2019, 1:46 pm

This is some great stuff! Thanks for sharing!

Rewards:
Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Spookyhappyfun

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby lestodante » January 7th, 2019, 6:09 pm

too musch stuff to read all of them! But I really agree the best way to improve the armory is the use of coloured dice. Because they can do more damage or increase the probability of hitting the enemy.
It is the best way to create some strategy in the weapon system but remaining with 3 or 4 dice attacks (six dice attack is already too much and should be limited to very few situations).
Infact I was considering to make the short sword (wich is actually unuseful) to attack with 2 dice but of different color: maybe 1 standard white + 1 coloured die to slight increase his power.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby clmckay » January 7th, 2019, 8:25 pm

I do run to a max of 6 dice attack and defence. For the cards I print 4 copies of everything up to 4 AD/DD, then only 1 of the 5/6's. Usually those cards are removed from the equipment deck and only added in singley in the harder homemade quest packs we make.

Even on the rare occasion that one comes up in the draw it's almost never picked. In this revision I actually dropped the prices on them a bit to try and generate some interest. I think for my players there's a psychological block, where the cost is so high for only an incremental increase. Gold is pretty hard to come by and rust spells pop up once or twice a storyline. It's a hard sell. I once dropped one in a quest so they'd have it for the following quest. It worked well and I didn't feel guilty for rusting 5 quests later!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
clmckay

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Usergroups:

Postby Anderas » February 24th, 2019, 5:12 pm

I just found your new equipment system. Thank you! Now I have something to do during my flight tomorrow. |_P

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Count Mohawk » February 27th, 2019, 1:50 am

I'm most interested in seeing what the "Engraved" dice look like. Did clmckay make some additional colors of dice with new distributions himself?

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Marquis of Math
Count Mohawk

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby clmckay » February 27th, 2019, 7:02 am

Yes, I did. Colors were limited though and as such duplicative of the existing ones. To differentiate I had them engraved. Between the engraving and the slightly different shade it’s easy to tell apart on the table. I didn’t know how to describe them on the card, so I went with ‘engraved’.

Rewards:
clmckay

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Usergroups:

Postby Maurice76 » February 27th, 2019, 8:08 am

So, what distributions did you create? The reason I'm asking is that the color references on your cards make me think of the German dice - except yours are completely different of course :P.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby clmckay » February 27th, 2019, 8:29 am

They just fill-in holes in the existing distributions, to make for a smoother power curve. There’s nothing fancy there like 3-ofs, I don’t like that idea. It pops up from time to time.

Rewards:
clmckay

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Usergroups:

Postby Mortanius » June 14th, 2020, 7:45 pm

When I try to click on it, I get an error saying the link does not exist.
Can someone who has it please share?
Mortanius

Goblin
Goblin

Hero:

Next

Return to Cards