• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Loot the Room - 2018 Treasure Deck

Discuss card making and cards you have made.

Re: Loot the Room - 2018 Treasure Deck

Postby girot » September 2nd, 2018, 3:27 am

Image Image
Last edited by girot on September 2nd, 2018, 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
girot

Fimir
Fimir

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups: .
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby girot » September 2nd, 2018, 3:49 am

i have decided to go ahead and create at least the main three potions, using the same art, as well as the random potion card.

so that leaves the potions (4), random magic item card (1), large gem (1), and Monster Attack (1)... for a total of 7 cards remaining. As for the Monster Attack, instead of the goblin ninja, I think I am going to use something from my Dungeon Ravenstein project. He did art for a Cursed Loot status card for that project, and I think it works perfectly for this. Those cards are probably getting dropped from the second edition anyway, so why waste good art? Here it is as it stands. I will need to simplify it a bit for this set, but I think you'll get the idea. :)

girot

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:
Champion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » September 2nd, 2018, 7:24 am

girot wrote:more previews...

Image Image

Viscious is misspelled.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » September 2nd, 2018, 7:59 am

Below the chest... The lower middle of the card. but yeah, good to see the alternative options.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Count Mohawk » September 2nd, 2018, 9:20 am

j_dean80 wrote:

Image Image

Viscious is misspelled.

I think he actually means "viscous", which according to Google means "having a thick, sticky consistency between solid and liquid; having a high viscosity."
Whereas "vicious" implies "deliberate cruelty or violence" - somehow I don't think that's the right word to describe a poison, no matter how foul.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Marquis of Math
Count Mohawk

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » September 2nd, 2018, 9:44 am

Count Mohawk wrote:
j_dean80 wrote:

Viscious is misspelled.

I think he actually means "viscous", which according to Google means "having a thick, sticky consistency between solid and liquid; having a high viscosity."
Whereas "vicious" implies "deliberate cruelty or violence" - somehow I don't think that's the right word to describe a poison, no matter how foul.

Then it couldn't billow out.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Count Mohawk » September 2nd, 2018, 10:09 am

j_dean80 wrote:
Count Mohawk wrote:
j_dean80 wrote:Viscious is misspelled.

Welp, looks like I lose this round of Grammer Yahtzee!
Here's your victory beer. |_P

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Marquis of Math
Count Mohawk

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby girot » September 2nd, 2018, 6:16 pm

Count Mohawk wrote:
j_dean80 wrote:
Count Mohawk wrote:
j_dean80 wrote:Viscious is misspelled.

Welp, looks like I lose this round of Grammer Yahtzee!
Here's your victory beer. |_P

*SNORT-LAUGH* I wish i had had this kind of feedback on Dungeon Ravenstein!

I knew I was misusing "viscous", my intention was to describe the effect in a way that shocked and confused. The same way that adventurer would be seeing smoke, but feeling slime. Alas, that was not the effect I illicited, so I will change viscous to acrid.
girot

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:
Champion Group Member

Postby girot » September 3rd, 2018, 2:32 am

The Magic Item card will be one-per-deck and can be further defined by Zargons however they wish. Roll on a table, pick an existing item, make something up, etc. This preserves the rarity of these items while giving a powerful incentive to the party to search absolutely everything during the quest.

Also, I went with the cloak for this card as homage to the Elven Cloak of Passage. As far as I am aware, this was the only Treasure card that included a legit magical item.

Next up are the potions. Retaining the existing potions in the treasure deck was preferred, so I've done just that. Using the same potion art, I've simply added different labels (in the image itself) and descriptions to each variant. Quantities will be adjusted accordingly in the final product.

Last card for this set is the monster. Currently working the art for that one.

If there is sufficient interest, I may move forward with the Potions Deck idea. Not just a printable PDF, but an actual physical deck acquirable through TheGameCrafter. I've figured out how to do these cards without a huge art budget and am willing to give it a go. I've seen similar efforts done (and done well) and feel I can provide something not only fresh, but something that pays respect to what's come before. If we end up going here, I will open a new thread to hash out details.
girot

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:
Champion Group Member

Postby girot » September 3rd, 2018, 7:33 am

this is it! i opted to go ahead and do both versions of the Monster Attack card.

Image Image

tomorrow night I will try to consolidate the entire set into a single preview post, for final review before I send this set off to the printers. thank you folks, goodnight!
girot

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Cards