• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

[Tutorial] - Card Images

Discuss card making and cards you have made.

Re: [Tutorial] - Card Images

Postby mitchiemasha » January 30th, 2015, 1:21 pm

Wicked!!!

In photoshop only, simply using paint bucket on the background for the lighter shade and you're there.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby sorcerersapprentice » September 3rd, 2015, 2:21 pm

For those HQ-fans out there who have difficulty drawing. Take heart. You don't need to import fancy images to get a solid Heroquesty feel and effect. These images have all been hand-drawn by me. I drew them in pencil and then went over them with a 0.4mm artline pen so the computer would pick the lines up. I scanned them in 300dpi in black and white and then opened them in GIMP (Photoshop). Because I selected to scan them in black and white and drew clean lines, I was able to select by colour and choose all of the white. Then I inverted my selection so it captured all of the black ink. I then selected a suitably coloured dark brown paint and enlarged my brush and went over the whole selection changing them to a nice HQ brown. After that I zoomed in and made sure the lines were not left open and all connected so that by selecting various areas I could just wave my brush over them to fill them in. Whilst not as carefully shaded or detailed as the original Heroquest spell card images, I think they have a certain simplistic charm - and can create dozens of them in a short amount of time.

PS - the backcard template is custom-made. I more or less made a white rectangle, gave it a rectangle border and coloured it brown. I then moved the image into the program Paint and added some triangles jutting out of the edges. I then moved it back into GIMP and used the free-select tool to move along the edge dipping into the brown on slight angles joined it back to itself and filled it with white to help give it that scrolly look. Finally I used a round brush to just slightly overlap the white interior with brown.

[Edit: you can download my template freely here to use in your projects. http://gametilewarehouse.wix.com/rpgtilesupply#!heroquest-fun--freebies/c111s
Something Wicked This Way Comes...

http://gametilewarehouse.wix.com/rpgtilesupply
sorcerersapprentice

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Spookyhappyfun » August 7th, 2017, 3:00 pm

drathe, you've done some amazing work here, showing us all how to achieve this incredible effect. Thank you!

sorcerersapprentice wrote:Image

For those HQ-fans out there who have difficulty drawing. Take heart. You don't need to import fancy images to get a solid Heroquesty feel and effect. These images have all been hand-drawn by me. I drew them in pencil and then went over them with a 0.4mm artline pen so the computer would pick the lines up. I scanned them in 300dpi in black and white and then opened them in GIMP (Photoshop). Because I selected to scan them in black and white and drew clean lines, I was able to select by colour and choose all of the white. Then I inverted my selection so it captured all of the black ink. I then selected a suitably coloured dark brown paint and enlarged my brush and went over the whole selection changing them to a nice HQ brown. After that I zoomed in and made sure the lines were not left open and all connected so that by selecting various areas I could just wave my brush over them to fill them in. Whilst not as carefully shaded or detailed as the original Heroquest spell card images, I think they have a certain simplistic charm - and can create dozens of them in a short amount of time.

PS - the backcard template is custom-made. I more or less made a white rectangle, gave it a rectangle border and coloured it brown. I then moved the image into the program Paint and added some triangles jutting out of the edges. I then moved it back into GIMP and used the free-select tool to move along the edge dipping into the brown on slight angles joined it back to itself and filled it with white to help give it that scrolly look. Finally I used a round brush to just slightly overlap the white interior with brown.

[Edit: you can download my template freely here to use in your projects. http://gametilewarehouse.wix.com/rpgtilesupply#!heroquest-fun--freebies/c111s

Sorcerersapprentice, it looks like it's been a little while and that link doesn't work. Do you still have these images anywhere?

Thanks!

Rewards:
Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Spookyhappyfun

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby runnar » August 13th, 2021, 4:59 pm

This tutorials are amazing! I wish I could have found them sooner, it would have saved me a lot of work!
runnar

Fimir
Fimir

Forum Language: Português (Brasil)
Hero:

Previous

Return to Cards