• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Super Dungeon Legends and 2nd edition

Topics related to Super Dungeon Explore

Super Dungeon Legends and 2nd edition

Postby Sjeng » October 22nd, 2015, 10:49 am

So, who's backing this?

There's a new addon, called Super Dungeon Legends, which reminds me of Advanced HeroQuest / Warhammer Quest. And SDE gets an overhaul: 2nd edition!
Better rules, new figures and tiles, all compatible with Forgotten Kingdoms now. I might finally cave for SDE...

Goblin-King? You in right?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/so ... escription
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Super Dungeon Legends and 2nd edition

Postby Goblin-King » October 22nd, 2015, 11:04 am

Of course I'm in!
The rules in 2nd ed are the same as in Forgotten King. They are both a base game.
And they are finally adding orcs by the way ;)

I'm looking forward to legends as well. They are using modular boards and have character leveling (two things I know are very popular here at the Inn).
I really hope they don't botch up the rules for this. It really has a lot of potential.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby IvenBach » October 24th, 2015, 1:25 pm

Sjeng wrote:So, who's backing this?

That was my question. I have no experience with SDE but it's always intrigued me. The main thing that I'm leery about is shipping. Black Plague horrendously lied about shipping making it several times more than what was initially stated. Will it be worth it to pick up? If so which one?

Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
IvenBach
The NEEEEEEEEEEEERD!!!

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » October 24th, 2015, 5:14 pm

Well, Legends is a brand new concept so it's anyone's guess if it's actually good.

SDE itself is pretty good, though quite unbalanced if both sides actually play to win. The company's design philosophy is that you shouldn't think too much while playing...
This is in a way comparable to HQ where the game is kind of funnier if the players doesn't optimize too much - Door blocking, monsters refusing to move and stuff like that.
But SDE is strictly combat oriented so not optimizing doesn't make much sense to me at least. SDE, despite it's name, doesn't have any exploring.

With Legends it sounds like the Dark Consul takes more of a Game Master role, which would eliminate a certain amount of the unbalances in the standard game.
But again, the rules aren't out yet, so...

The thing about SDE is that you really want a lot of different monster packs. You can't really play much with just a couple. It would feel like if you could only use the green monsters in HQ.
It adds up to a really expensive game if you want more than the bare minimum.

Shipping prices wasn't a problem during the last KS at least.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby mukami » October 24th, 2015, 7:06 pm

Backed this for the Legendary tier... may add a Dark Consul tier for a second set of all the extras.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Killed a mighty Fimir! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
mukami

Mummy
Mummy

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby IvenBach » October 24th, 2015, 10:21 pm

Goblin-King wrote:It adds up to a really expensive game if you want more than the bare minimum.

That doesn't appeal to me. Is it just that they sell every single type of creature separately? Is it the opposite of Descent which gives you plenty of monsters to choose from?

Goblin-King wrote:Shipping prices wasn't a problem during the last KS at least.

I hope so... Black Plague said the same of $10-15 for shipping and it ended up more than 7 times that :? :evil: ...

Can you elaborate on some of the pitfalls of why it's unbalanced? From your post it sounds like monster are supposed to react in a static manner since nobody is 'actively' controlling them. I'll watch this as it goes along. I've never been a fan of chibi style art. In spite of that I've always liked the SDE minis.

Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
IvenBach
The NEEEEEEEEEEEERD!!!

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » October 25th, 2015, 1:42 am

Monsters are grouped in spawnpoints. The above image is an example of a single spawnpoint that gives you 6 orcs (that particular box has 2 of these spawnpoints).
That means you can't mix and match which monsters you'd like to use. You must take an entire group. A game has 3-5 spawnpoints depending on number of heroes.
So while the game system gives you plenty of models, it only gives you 2 different spawnpoints. That is very much playable, but you'll soon want more spawnpoints for variety. I guess this is a subjective thing though?

Since the original release they have added a new "Arcade" gamemode which is a mode without an Evil Consul player. Here the monsters behave in a specific manner.
I haven't tried this gamemode myself, but from what I've heard, once you understand the system it's easy to abuse making it too easy.

But you can also play classic mode where one player controls the monsters. When controlled by a competent human some of the spawnpoints and bosses are simply overpowered.
The opposite goes for heroes. Some are strictly flat out better than other. You can't just pick your favorites and hope to win.
If up against a min/maxer the heroes will always have a hard time.

Here is the content of the current Game System. Notice it has 4 spawnpoints. Two single points and one paired (double) spawnpoint. As you can see the model count is pretty good, but you'll still run the same combination of monsters every time.

Rewards:
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Sjeng » November 11th, 2015, 8:45 am

Yeah I think if I like 2nd ed, I'm gonna have to get FK too. Looks good!

And check all these SG's!

Makes me wonder how many SG's I missed out on during the FK KS... Do I want to know? Yes. I do. Checking that KS page now... *cries*
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Just_Will » July 1st, 2016, 12:25 am

I'm definitely backing this. On a side note, has anyone here looked over their SDE collection and realized they could effectively proxy in a relevant SDE model for all of HQ and run an Anime Hero Quest? Heck, even the men at arms after the next release.
Just_Will

Zombie
Zombie

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » July 1st, 2016, 12:42 am

Just_Will wrote:I'm definitely backing this. On a side note, has anyone here looked over their SDE collection and realized they could effectively proxy in a relevant SDE model for all of HQ and run an Anime Hero Quest? Heck, even the men at arms after the next release.

Could you now...?

The heroes are easy enough. Male Clawtribe Barbarian (barbarian), Heartsworn Fighter (dwarf), Male Glimmerdusk Ranger (elf), Male Hexcast Sorcerer (wizard)

Orc - Skullstone spawnpoint; literally orcs
Goblin - ???
Fimir - ???
Skeleton - Shallow Grave spawnpoint; literally skeletons
Zombie - Grabby House spawnpoint; literally zombies
Mummy - Dust Mage perhaps, though I think it's a stretch
Chaos Warrior - ???
Gargoyle - ???

I think we miss too much to make a full proxy.
How were you planning on filling out the blanks?

Rewards:
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:

Next

Return to Super Dungeon Explore Room