• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

I just do not like Descent

Topics related to Descent

Re: I just do not like Descent

Postby knightkrawler » October 13th, 2013, 4:11 am

Haven't played it, but I own it, so I'll break down the components for you according to my personal taste.

Hero figures: greatly detailed, beautiful cast; scale is something like 20 or 22 mm and realistically proportioned. It is NOT compatible with any game outside of Fantasy Flight Games.
Monster figures: less detailed, some shitty casts, weird (WEIRD !) choices, some are salvageable, e.g. the Ettin and the Elemental. The smaller ones are just horrible (Goblins and Zombies, humansized in general) - I mean, really really bad.

Markers: There aren't overlays anymore. Just blips like hit point markers.

Cards: beautiful design, layout, and art. Some are half-sized, which makes sense.

Tiles: great design, but each tile has a VERY specific purpose, with obstacles and literally everything painted onto them. If you want to salvage those for other games you're gonna have to write quests around the tiles.

Everything about the game is very FFG and nothing else.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby ampersand » October 21st, 2013, 10:25 am

its very much more of a strategical skirmish game in the form of a dungeon crawler. i wrote a small review on my blog if you wish to take a look. now i cant say this game is for everyone.
i bought the 1st edition and sold it about 2 months later. so i was really dubious in purchasing the 2nd edition. for me and my family with descent 1st edition, there was just too much of everything!.
2nd edition is very much more stripped down in every way. the travel system and campaign are excellent. although it doesnt really offer much more. its worth a try though and i would recommend it. if you dont like it..sell it on right? :)

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
ampersand

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby chaoticprime » October 21st, 2013, 1:26 pm

Your experiences verily mirror mine own. All the pips and tabs and *lemony goodness* were annoying. The need for those stupid chits was excessive, and tracking all the symbols on the dice was middling. If you have to have three symbols on one die face, just accept that its actually nothing but the battle system of a PnP RPG, and use a regular d12 or whatever.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby HeroQuestFrance » November 6th, 2013, 4:57 am

Descent is not really a dungeon crawl.
You are facing a game master and that's all.
It's not about searching for an old treasure, secret doors, disarming some traps and trying to find the exit because a invincible gargoyle is running after you in the corridor.

I also have it somewhere. I collect it only because in some years I will sell it with the first edition and all expansions for gold.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
HeroQuestFrance

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby chaoticprime » November 6th, 2013, 1:43 pm

HeroQuestFrance wrote:Descent is not really a dungeon crawl.
It's not about searching for an old treasure, secret doors, disarming some traps and trying to find the exit because a invincible gargoyle is running after you in the corridor.

I also have it somewhere. I collect it only because in some years I will sell it with the first edition and all expansions for gold.

Super Dungeon Explore, likewise, features an absolute lack of exploration.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Usergroups:

Postby Goblin-King » November 6th, 2013, 2:07 pm

chaoticprime wrote:Super Dungeon Explore, likewise, features an absolute lack of exploration.

Amen to that! Still a good game though.
Except the theme it has nothing to do with neither a RPG nor a dungeon crawler :|

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby ampersand » November 6th, 2013, 2:38 pm

HeroQuestFrance wrote:Descent is not really a dungeon crawl.

i wouldnt even say you are facing a dungeon master. you are facing someone who controls the evil side. and are in direct competition against, both with specific objectives to win each scenario.
for me a dungeon master is someone that tells the story and is sort of a guide. controlling the baddies is only a percentage of being a dungeon master.

where descent 2nd edition stands up is its campaign. telling a story in itself and each scenario based on who wins the previous quest. makes each play of the campaign different giving various different combinations. as well as the simple travel system between quests. game is worth a punt. there is a lot more stuff out there that sells that this is a lot better than

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
ampersand

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby chaoticprime » November 6th, 2013, 3:17 pm

That Campaign thing sounds neat.

A DM is not a referee. To quote Gary Gygax: "The new D&D is too rule intensive. It's relegated the Dungeon Master to being an entertainer rather than master of the game. It's done away with the archetypes, focused on nothing but combat and character power, lost the group cooperative aspect, bastardized the class-based system, and resembles a comic-book superheroes game more than a fantasy RPG where a player can play any alignment desired, not just lawful good."

Rewards:
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Usergroups:

Postby Malcadon » November 6th, 2013, 8:32 pm

I remember downloading and reading the rulebook months ago. I was not all that impressed. It offered nothing creative or innovative. It felt like a generic hack-n-slash dungeon-crawl with little or none of the "exploration" elements, and a lot of pretty-looking props. I'm not all that impressed with layout and art, but I'm usually not impressed with that "new-school" style. It feels like its trying accommodate to HeroQuest fans who like the look and feel of 4e D&D.

If I was to obtain a copy of Descent, I would likely try it out a few times to see how I like it, and even experiment with houserules for better gameplay. If I cant find something to like about the game, I would assimilate the game for parts, like so many copies of Dragon Strike. (And this is coming from a guy who sees great parental with that cheap, knockoff HeroQuest game!)

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Malcadon

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Sandman0077 » November 15th, 2013, 2:10 am

This is very disappointing to hear because I have been wanting to check out Descent 2nd edition for the last few months. Haven't bought it yet because of the hefty price tag, but I think I will give it a try once I complete all the HeroQuest expansions.
"The World is not beautiful, and that, in a way, lends it some beauty; Therefore it is."

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Sandman0077

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Descent Room