• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Descent 2E or Hey is that guy HeroQuest related to you?

Topics related to Descent

Descent 2E or Hey is that guy HeroQuest related to you?

Postby lorddax » July 17th, 2012, 5:28 pm

Descent:Journeys in the Dark - Second Edition is finally dropping this month from Fantasy Flight games. Alliance Game Distributors already has it in stock for your LGS to order.

And god damn does the new changes not remind me of HQ! The linked article above is from the previews that started in April and if you follow them you can see that the Descent system has moved from "ALL THE MATHS!" to something that feels much like the offspring of HQ&WHQ(Step child of AHQ) grew up, went to college, spent some years backpacking around Europe and finally coming back home to settle down for that new job and start building some roots.

I almost started drooling over the modular board alone coming back!
Currently looking for victims errr ummm playgroup in NoVA area or commutable distance.

Campaign length: 25+ (still building)
Group progress:In Training
lorddax

Mummy
Mummy

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Descent 2E or Hey is that guy HeroQuest related to you?

Postby Sjeng » July 18th, 2012, 9:38 am

That does look very interesting indeed! What is it going to cost and when will it be available?
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby el_flesh » July 18th, 2012, 9:48 am

How many minis are in it? I see far less enemies than heros...
"I will raise your dead body as an undead skeleton. Then I will make it do unspeakable acts. Like taking a shower." - El Flesh.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic.
el_flesh

Exiled
Exiled

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby lorddax » July 18th, 2012, 10:54 am

Drops this week and you can find copies between $50-75 depending on who your LGS orders from.

8 hero figs and 31 enemy figs in the base set. If you add in the conversion kit then all of the figs from 1st edition can be used in 2e. FFG has also announced metal figs for the lieutenant enemy chars , the first 3 being Splig, the leader of the goblins because hes biggest goblin and since hes the leader gets to eat the most food; Belthir, the powerful dragonkin mercenary; and Zachareth, noble of Carthage with a dark secret.

So looks like thanks to Descent 2e, there will be a new source of 28mm fantasy figs coming to market regularly!
Currently looking for victims errr ummm playgroup in NoVA area or commutable distance.

lorddax

Mummy
Mummy

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby lorddax » July 18th, 2012, 10:56 am

Descent 2e rulebook for the inquisitive minds including the box contents listing. The figs and the dice may be of interest to those people who aren't necessarily interested in the full game, oh and the buttload of useful tokens :)

lorddax

Mummy
Mummy

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Maike05 » July 19th, 2012, 10:17 am

Sounds they have redone their tiles looool what ugliness it was !

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Maike05

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Blackthorn » September 28th, 2012, 12:17 pm

This game seems to be getting good reviews. Has anyone here played it? Is it something that a HQ fan might enjoy?

I was also looking at some of the D&D Adventure System board games but I'm not crazy about the book themes or cooperative aspect where you have to play both the heroes and the monsters.
Last edited by Blackthorn on September 28th, 2012, 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fear the chinkle!

Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
Blackthorn

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » September 28th, 2012, 2:55 pm

Haven't played it, but I'd like to. I've read up on it a bit, as well. It seems to be a compromise back towards HQ a bit, but this game is more of a race than a HQ dungeon-crawl. I'm pleased with the overlord (Zargon) role, as it is more engaging for that player than HQ--he can actually win! That element places it a notch above the D&D boardgame system, in my opinion.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby LordZeke » September 29th, 2012, 12:56 am

I think these games are very different types of games and comparing them can be a little difficult. Heroquest i think thrives on the fact that the quest is a complete mystery to the heroes, whereas the D&D adventure game, everything is basiclly known to the heroes. I look at the D&D adventure game more "Diablo-esque" in the sense that the basic frame work is constant but the path/ encounters/ treasure change. The D&D game really also shines as a game you dont have to have the same folks everytime you play. This has always been an issue for me with Heroquest, getting the same folks together consistantly to play through the game. I end up playing alot of 2 player (my wife an I) and she really like co-op games which Heroquest struggles at as a 2player game (assuming you use a electronic zargon, but that looses alot of flavor).

I haven't played descent, and i havent picked it up because i feel that I would fall into the same issues i have with heroquest not.

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
LordZeke

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby torilen » September 29th, 2012, 6:52 pm

I don't know anything about the descent line, so I can't compare it to HQ.

However...I do see some WONDERFUL game design aspects that I haven't seen with other
games of the type. For example...the "plot tree" that is mentioned, depending on whether
the heroes or the bad guy wins. And the ability of the bad guy to take a class, as well.
Nice stuff.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Next

Return to Descent Room