• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

[HQP] Character Sheet

All topics related to the HeroQuest Prime project are discussed here.

Re: [HQP] Character Sheet

Postby Teldurn » September 25th, 2014, 11:16 am

Gold Bearer wrote:Very nice. The only thing that might not look good is the blank spell book for most of the characters. Maybe combine spells and skills and use this one for the magical heroes.

Thank you. I'd really prefer to have a single sheet that everyone can use - less work for me in the end. :P Also keep in mind that magical characters will more than likely have their Skills box remain empty as well. I don't really see leaving empty boxes as being a problem, just about every other character sheet for other games has the same "flaw." The only true solution that I can see is having class-specific character sheets...but I'm not about to make 22 different sheets for each class. Heck, even boiling it down to class-type, it would mean 3 different sheets - one for fighters, one for casters, one for hybrids. I think I'm fine with just leaving it as-is :)

clmckay wrote:Perhaps the non-magical ones could list any spell scrolls here?

That's definitely what the Other Items box can be used for! :)

JasonMCM wrote:I have 2 suggestions, but they will probably come across nit-picky
1.) The axe on the left, the shaft/handle thing is way to long for the diminutive size of the head. Possibly change it into a Halberd or Spear or something like that...
2.) Drop the numbers by the ranks as some Evil Wizard players may want to slow the progression of heroes and with it printed on the card they could have conflicts.

Like I said a little nit-picky. But other than that, fantastic. :-)

1. Obviously, the axe isn't meant to be taken literally, but I can see your point.
2. Do you think there are many players out there who will play a single character in more than 31 quests in a single game campaign, AND without dying even once? I don't mean any snark with that, it's an honest question. Because I don't see there being very many characters like that. And if there are any such characters that can live that long, then I think they deserve the acclaim and rewards their longevity has earned them. :D (Or their EWP has been lenient in trying to kill the players.)

Gold Bearer wrote:
clmckay wrote:Perhaps the non-magical ones could list any spell scrolls here?
I forgot anyone can use scrolls. I really don't like that rule. A barbarian casting from a scroll, not right! Only characters with a magic level (zero counts for those who can only cast from scrolls) can in my rules.

Thankfully, in this version of the rules, fighter characters (which constitutes 11 of the 22 available classes) can't use spell scrolls unless they have the Arcana skill card.
War is not the answer...unless the question is, 'What is not the answer?'

Check out Broadsword, a love letter to 90s dungeon crawling board games.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Destroyed a Zombie!Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Teldurn

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby knightkrawler » September 25th, 2014, 12:58 pm

Teldurn wrote:
Gold Bearer wrote:Very nice. The only thing that might not look good is the blank spell book for most of the characters. Maybe combine spells and skills and use this one for the magical heroes.

Thank you. I'd really prefer to have a single sheet that everyone can use - less work for me in the end. :P Also keep in mind that magical characters will more than likely have their Skills box remain empty as well.

I think Gold Bearer means one box titled "Spells & Skills" or some such, which I would also vote for if I had a vote. I take it you use skills.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby GimmeYerGold » September 25th, 2014, 2:18 pm

This is an excellent and attractive character sheet. It accommodates not only your system, but would work well with many other custom HQ systems.

I also agree with kk here and GB, that the skills and spells boxes might be combined--I say this in the interest of the "potions and other items" box, which could benefit from more room. A player can accumulate a lot of items in their adventures.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
GimmeYerGold

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Teldurn » September 25th, 2014, 2:58 pm

Aww, I am hesitant to take out the spell book, since I thought it was a pretty cool idea. :( But sometimes you gotta kill your darlings, right? So here's a 30-second hack-job concept, to see if I understand you guys correctly. I'll move the Mercenaries banner+box over to the right and have it connect with Quests Completed. Then increase the Potions & Other Items section about 50%. Then, have the Spells & Skills banner loop and turn direction over the box which is now much bigger. I thought also to maybe add some decorative banner-end, instead of tatters (but I will tatter it up if it doesn't work well). How's this?

Rewards:
Teldurn

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Gold Bearer » September 25th, 2014, 3:10 pm

Yea, that would work better for the default non casters but I'd keep the old one for the casters because the spell book is a neat idea and it looks good.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Teldurn » September 25th, 2014, 3:38 pm

GB, are you suggesting I have two separate sheets to work with? This last edited one has much more space that can be used for both spells and skills. Why shouldn't I just keep this? I really liked the visual of the spell book, but I have to also keep utility in mind too. I'm not sure there was enough room on the two spell pages two write down that many spells.

Rewards:
Teldurn

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Gold Bearer » September 26th, 2014, 2:32 am

It's just a suggestion but I'd also not let the fighter classes use the spells skill and use you new character sheet for them, rewording spells and skills to just skills. You could use the other one for hybrids and make one with a bigger spell book for casters. The caster class type could have a staff on the left, the hybrid one could have a spear and the fighter one could have a halbird.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby knightkrawler » September 26th, 2014, 6:31 am

Call it 'Book of Spells & Specialties'.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Teldurn » September 26th, 2014, 1:19 pm

Thanks for all the great suggestions, gang! All of it was greatly appreciated and considered.

I'm considering this the final version of the character sheet for HeroQuest Prime. My reasoning for not changing the Skills/Spells sections into one combined thing is threefold: 1. I really like the image of the spell book and didn't want to lose that flavor, 2. I felt in my mind they can't be easily combined and should be kept separate, and 3. players will only get an absolute maximum of 4 Skill cards ever, so it doesn't need that much room. Dovetailing this with reason #1 sealed the deal for me, so I kept it as is. As a result, I also get to keep the single sheet that can be used by everyone - I don't have to make a separate sheet for casters and another for non-casters, etc.

The edits to this version are slight:

On the spellbook, I added fancy corners as well as a splash of color.
In the Skills box, I colored the rivets.
On the bottom banner:
- made it into a single continuous flow
- improved the wrap-around effect on the handle
- doubled the size of the Potions box, added the word Treasure (because players love collecting loot!)
- added a nicer tattered end

Rewards:
Teldurn

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby knightkrawler » September 26th, 2014, 1:25 pm

I don't know about your printing budget or methods, but if you put color in there anyway, how about trying a little off-white/buff-ish tone for the parchments and differently colored section titles (that brownish-violet from the NA questbook, for instance)? I'd also use Gaze as a font for the titles.
But again, that might just be me, and it's not that I don't like it - au contraire! I'm just throwing ideas out there.

Rewards:
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to HeroQuest Prime