• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

[Quest Pack][WIP] Conquering Despair

All topics related to the HeroQuest Prime project are discussed here.

Re: [Quest Pack][WIP] Conquering Despair

Postby Teldurn » April 7th, 2015, 5:31 pm

Daedalus wrote:More comments:

Quest 5
B. Failure means they fall down, take 2 Body Points of damage, and end their turn. > Failure means a Hero falls down, take 2 Body Points of damage, and ends his turn. I can't remember if you use they/their to remain gender neutral. If so, keep it as it is. I'd then change the earlier sentence to keep Hero references parallel: A Hero may attempt to jump down using the rules for jumping Pit Traps. > Heroes may attempt to jump down using the rules for jumping Pit Traps.

C. This Troll drops the Persistent Pearl when it is killed. > "The first Hero that searches for treasure in this room finds the Persistent Pearl," or "Whoever kills this Troll may take the Persistent Pearl as his prize," or something like that.

D. Digging through the remains, you find the Lucky Dagger. > While digging through the remains, the first Hero that searches for treasure finds the Lucky Dagger.

It's funny because I had changed all these before you had posted this. Indeed, you may have even seen me editing it while you browsed. :P

Daedalus wrote:Quest 6
Wow, that map is HUGE! I'm not sure when Heroes should know when to search for treasure so that they may find the buried chests. Maybe some kind of hints would help to shorten the process of usefully searching the map. Perhaps a map or letter in Quests 3 and/or 4 could reveal/suggest one or more locations. Area A with the Spirit Blade is a prime candidate for mention, unless it's not really needed for later.

I anticipate the size of this map might be problematic for some (it's a single image, not tiled together). I'd like to give some clue of when to search, but not sure how to do it exactly. And no, the only artifact that is absolutely required is the Circlet from quest 1. All the others are there to make it easier for Heroes if they find them, but are not required.

Daedalus wrote:Same rules for greenery? I'd add a note, perhaps defining darker, heavily textured greenery as LOS and movement blocking.

Since a fair number of maps use outdoor greenery, I just added the LOS/movement note to the beginning of the document, instead of writing it out for each quest. But because of the density of it here, it's a good idea to just make it the darker ones.

Daedalus wrote:B. I'd set the monsters off on a random path out of the Chaos Portals, though to be honest I'm not sure how well it would work if new branches called for new directions. Can monsters exit the map?

I had already made a note about moving them in random directions. I suppose monsters can exit the map, if the GM were so inclined, since it's not explicitly restricted. It would be a truly sadistic Zargon who would direct all the monsters directly toward the Heroes. Maybe if I just make it every other GM turn instead of every turn, that would mitigate some of the crazy potential.

Daedalus wrote:X. From the Parchment text it appears Aithlin knows the location of the alter, since he is the Keeper of the Grove. Does that mean he leads the Heroes, or does he just tag along? The former seems better option for a quicker game. I'd note how to handle him. Maybe just general directions are necessary, such as "The alter lies to the south-east of the forest."

Yes, I forgot to include the note about him heading there on his own, leading the Heroes on the way. A similar mechanic was used in quest 7.
War is not the answer...unless the question is, 'What is not the answer?'

Check out Broadsword, a love letter to 90s dungeon crawling board games.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Destroyed a Zombie!Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Teldurn

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Daedalus » April 8th, 2015, 3:29 pm

These tiles are fun!

Quest 7
Should there be greenery or vegetation rules for LOS and movement? I'm beginning to think such rules might best be placed at the beginning of the Quest Book. Scratch that. I've since read your update with the new entry on page 1.

X. Why does Daena warn the Heroes to watch their step? Is there some kind of risk that needs to be added in, or is this just fluff? Oh wait, I just noticed the pit traps are all located in marsh water--nice.

The Persistent Pearl was already awarded in room C of Quest 5. Is this a typo? Oh, wait--I just saw the Quest flow chart and Artifact legend. Certain Quests aren't played in the order so the Persistent Pearl actually appears in 3 Quests so it is always available.[-edit]

Does Daena fight? It seems so. Who controls her in a fight? When Zargon moves her otherwise, can she initiate a fight with the Ogre or a Fimir before the Heroes arrive? Maybe a note could clarify these details in a similar way as was done with Sir Ragnar.

Daena shares some qualities with a monster, so maybe a note could be added stating the first Hero that searches for treasure recovers a bundle of reagents. Otherwise, I'd add she gains them after all visible monsters are killed.

Quest 8
Maybe mention portcullises have no Defend Dice or don't defend.

A. Does relative safety mean only that they may not be attacked with melee weapons, or are the the Orc Archers not considered visible to the Heroes against ranged and spell attacks as well? I figure you mean the former, but maybe clarify here.

X. How do the Heroes free Kazgotul from the shackles? A key could be found by searching for treasure, or a Hero could roll some dice. Also, I'd clarify further If he is killed, the Heroes fail this Quest... with ...and don't recover the Endless Emerald.

Quest 9
Why not give the necromancer a name? It's more rewarding to kill when it's personal. :twisted:

Maybe amend There are no doors at the passages into the Skull Floor tile. They are open archways... by adding ...,so place open doorways there.

A. I'd change the wording:
The first Hero to search for treasure finds a Potion of Restoration, a Potion of Cure, and 2 Potions of Panacea in the chests. Heroes moving onto the trap door may drop down to the corridor below at the square marked with an "X" on the below-ground map. This ends their turn. Heroes may not return above ground this way.

You'd need to add an "X" to the lower map at the square above "A," of course. The specificity of the trap-door description adds a line, so unfortunately it requires dropping text elswhere (if you use it.) If he was not killed in Quest 6, this space is empty could be dropped from note B to make the space.

G. ...and a Spell Ring. Its use is explained on the matching Artifact card. > ...and the Spell Ring. The Spell Ring's use is explained on the matching Artifact Card.

H. I hope you don't mind some more nitpicks. Maybe they matter to you: ...the Hero who deals the killing blow. ...on the matching Artifact Card.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Teldurn » April 8th, 2015, 5:40 pm

My comments in red again.
Daedalus wrote:These tiles are fun!
You can see why I like Heroic Maps so much. You're almost at my favorite quest so far, quest 11!

Quest 7
Should there be greenery or vegetation rules for LOS and movement? I'm beginning to think such rules might best be placed at the beginning of the Quest Book. Scratch that. I've since read your update with the new entry on page 1.

X. Why does Daena warn the Heroes to watch their step? Is there some kind of risk that needs to be added in, or is this just fluff? Oh wait, I just noticed the pit traps are all located in marsh water--nice. I thought it was clever. :D

The Persistent Pearl was already awarded in room C of Quest 5. Is this a typo? Oh, wait--I just saw the Quest flow chart and Artifact legend. Certain Quests aren't played in the order so the Persistent Pearl actually appears in 3 Quests so it is always available.[-edit] Exactly. Actually, this point was only in my head so I figured color coordinating the flowchart would be beneficial for other people when they run this for their group. A group always has a chance to find all the gems, no matter what quest progression choices they make.

Does Daena fight? It seems so. Who controls her in a fight? It does mention "On GM's turn..." Is more clarification necessary? When Zargon moves her otherwise, can she initiate a fight with the Ogre or a Fimir before the Heroes arrive? As stated under "Anything else," Daena does not engage with combat with monsters. Maybe a note could clarify these details in a similar way as was done with Sir Ragnar.

Daena shares some qualities with a monster, so maybe a note could be added stating the first Hero that searches for treasure recovers a bundle of reagents. Otherwise, I'd add she gains them after all visible monsters are killed. OK, cool.

Quest 8
Maybe mention portcullises have no Defend Dice or don't defend. Done.

A. Does relative safety mean only that they may not be attacked with melee weapons, or are the the Orc Archers not considered visible to the Heroes against ranged and spell attacks as well? I figure you mean the former, but maybe clarify here. I did a similar thing in Quest 11, where melee is not allowed, but ranged weapons and spells can fire through with a penalty of one fewer Combat Die. I've now added this clarification here, too.

X. How do the Heroes free Kazgotul from the shackles? A key could be found by searching for treasure, or a Hero could roll some dice. Also, I'd clarify further If he is killed, the Heroes fail this Quest... with ...and don't recover the Endless Emerald. If the Heroes fail the quest, isn't it presumed they wouldn't get the gem anyhow? Regardless, more clarity is always a good thing.

Quest 9
Why not give the necromancer a name? It's more rewarding to kill when it's personal. :twisted: Done, and with a suitably evil-sounding name, too. :D Ikraxius the Decayer. :zombie:

Maybe amend There are no doors at the passages into the Skull Floor tile. They are open archways... by adding ...,so place open doorways there. I keep forgetting to cover my tabletop bases as well when I'm writing this. Good call here.

A. I'd change the wording:
The first Hero to search for treasure finds a Potion of Restoration, a Potion of Cure, and 2 Potions of Panacea in the chests. Heroes moving onto the trap door may drop down to the corridor below at the square marked with an "X" on the below-ground map. This ends their turn. Heroes may not return above ground this way. Excellent!

You'd need to add an "X" to the lower map at the square above "A," of course. The specificity of the trap-door description adds a line, so unfortunately it requires dropping text elswhere (if you use it.) If he was not killed in Quest 6, this space is empty could be dropped from note B to make the space. I decreased the vertical spacing in the Notes section, that seemed to make enough room for everything to fit.

G. ...and a Spell Ring. Its use is explained on the matching Artifact card. > ...and the Spell Ring. The Spell Ring's use is explained on the matching Artifact Card. "The" is changed, and I'll need to go back and change all the lowercase "card"s to capital C.

H. I hope you don't mind some more nitpicks. Maybe they matter to you: ...the Hero who deals the killing blow. ...on the matching Artifact Card. It's cool, I figured there would end up being another editing pass once I get all the quest maps and writing done. Thanks!

Rewards:
Teldurn

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby cynthialee » April 9th, 2015, 6:22 pm

Only thing I have to say is regarding Quest 8
One could rule that the shackles could possibly be removed by the Dwarf if he has access to a tool kit. Roll his Mind points, looking for 2 Skulls to open the shackles.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Teldurn » April 9th, 2015, 6:48 pm

cynthialee wrote:Only thing I have to say is regarding Quest 8
One could rule that the shackles could possibly be removed by the Dwarf if he has access to a tool kit. Roll his Mind points, looking for 2 Skulls to open the shackles.

I really like the toolkit idea, pretty clever solution. I'll add that.

Rewards:
Teldurn

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby cynthialee » April 9th, 2015, 7:29 pm

Teldurn wrote:

What I like about this fix is that the Dwarf never has a tool kit and one of the other Heroes will have to come to the dwarf to pass off equipment.
(Note that Dwarf players in my games know that tools help allot, as I often have traps and locks that only can be defeated with tools, and often smarts....{roll Mind looking for whatever the ruling at the time is})
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Teldurn » April 9th, 2015, 10:07 pm

cynthialee wrote:
Teldurn wrote:

What I like about this fix is that the Dwarf never has a tool kit and one of the other Heroes will have to come to the dwarf to pass off equipment.
(Note that Dwarf players in my games know that tools help allot, as I often have traps and locks that only can be defeated with tools, and often smarts....{roll Mind looking for whatever the ruling at the time is})

Even though HeroQuest Prime doesn't have a Dwarf Hero as he exists in the base game system, the toolkit idea can still be applied. Indeed, I just made this addition. :)

Rewards:
Teldurn

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Daedalus » April 9th, 2015, 11:15 pm

Teldurn wrote:
Daedalus wrote:Does Daena fight? It seems so. Who controls her in a fight? It does mention "On GM's turn..." Is more clarification necessary? When Zargon moves her otherwise, can she initiate a fight with the Ogre or a Fimir before the Heroes arrive? As stated under "Anything else," Daena does not engage with combat with monsters. Maybe a note could clarify these details in a similar way as was done with Sir Ragnar.

It looks like think my confusion was due to misreading. The early halberd reference and ending stat line caught my eye more than the no-combat-with-monsters line in the middle. Since the Heroes can't kill her if they wish to complete the Quest and she doesn't fight monsters, I feel paring down to a note mentioning Body Points, Defend Dice and movement would be the best way to reinforce this.

Teldurn wrote:
Daedalus wrote:Quest 8
X. How do the Heroes free Kazgotul from the shackles? A key could be found by searching for treasure, or a Hero could roll some dice. Also, I'd clarify further If he is killed, the Heroes fail this Quest... with ...and don't recover the Endless Emerald. If the Heroes fail the quest, isn't it presumed they wouldn't get the gem anyhow? Regardless, more clarity is always a good thing.

Yeah, mentioning not recovering the Endless Emerald can reasonably be presumed--I'm probably overstating here. You could always remove it if it doesn't feel right. Upon reread, I also thought you could add whether Kazgotul leaves with or without the Heroes and give him a movement. It's not necessary, but serves to tie things up at the end.

Teldurn wrote:
Daedalus wrote:Quest 9
Maybe amend There are no doors at the passages into the Skull Floor tile. They are open archways... by adding ...,so place open doorways there. I keep forgetting to cover my tabletop bases as well when I'm writing this. Good call here.

And I keep forgetting this first pass is for computer play. It's hard for this old dog to think out of the boardgame box. You could always add such details later.

By the way, I also like cynthialee's suggestion of a tool kit being the means for opening the shackles as well. Does that mean the Quest must be reattempted if the Heroes don't have one? To avoid this, I'd include a tool kit as treasure in place of gold coins in one of the earlier Quests.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Teldurn » April 10th, 2015, 10:38 am

Daedalus wrote:And I keep forgetting this first pass is for computer play. It's hard for this old dog to think out of the boardgame box. You could always add such details later.

By the way, I also like cynthialee's suggestion of a tool kit being the means for opening the shackles as well. Does that mean the Quest must be reattempted if the Heroes don't have one? To avoid this, I'd include a tool kit as treasure in place of gold coins in one of the earlier Quests.

That's why this process feedback, review, and critique is so critical and valuable to me. I'm obviously not going to catch all the easily-overlooked things by myself, but having fresh eyes look at it always helps.

And by virtue of traps being unable to be disarmed without a Toolkit of any kind, a smart group of players should realize that it behooves them to purchase one early on. If they don't, they will have to deal with the consequences of their choices.

Rewards:
Teldurn

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Daedalus » April 10th, 2015, 5:03 pm

Quest 10
Large creatures (Elementals and Ogres) move at half speed if moving through tight spaces. > Large creatures (Elementals and Ogres) move at half speed if moving through a space that is only one square wide.

Elementalists’ spells can either be half as effective against same-type Elementals or twice as effective against opposing-type Elementals ( Air/Earth, Fire/Water.)

A. ...the Ring of Return. Its use is explained on the matching Artifact Card.

B. It took standing on fire squares in this circular room to make me wonder, "What is the Hero movement restriction for a square patially filled with a rock wall?" I think it could work similar to the greenery clarification, but need only restrict movement. (Since irregular rock walls extend upward, normal LOS rules using an imaginary line is already sufficient to determine whether a partial rock wall blocks visibility to a target.)

A few other Quests also have these partially filled rock-wall squares, so I think a newly titled note under 5.Manueuvering Outdoors and in Caverns should state that Any rock wall that takes up more than half of a square blocks movement.

C. The apparent exit to the northern edge of the board makes entering this room an ambiguous choice. While the gold-strewn floor is a really cool trap idea, losing equipment and artifacts might result in whining. Maybe I'm too soft, but I'd consider including a warning of some sort. A Welcome to the Lair of Greed inscription and/or early sighting of the bones might work.

D. Does "All ranged attacks and spells within the marked circle have a 50% chance of missing," mean all ranged attacks and all spells (Veil of Mist might fail if cast on anyone within the zone) or all ranged attacks and ranged spells (Veil of Mist always works on the caster, though it might fail if cast onto another Hero in the zone)? Or do you mean all ranged attacks and attack spells (Veil of Mist won't fail on anyone in the zone as it isn't cast against a monster)? "...rolling a Skull on one Combat Die means the attack missed" leads me to think the last interpretation is intended. Whatever the intent, wording the effect with the appropriate blue term would strengthen the meaning, I feel.

F. "The rubble makes for difficult footing, all movement costs double." Personally, I'm not a fan of movement cost, though HQP uses it for furniture and maybe it should stay. My real beef is it is so similar in effect to area H.

H. Movement is reduced by one die in this chamber, down to a minimum of 1. For greater differentiation from room F, consider changing the effect in either room to a lessened form of slippery ice from the BQP:

Whenever a Hero moves onto a slippery water square, the Hero must roll 1 combat die. If a white shield is rolled, the Hero falls and his turn ends.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to HeroQuest Prime