• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

[Quest Pack][WIP] Conquering Despair

All topics related to the HeroQuest Prime project are discussed here.

[Quest Pack][WIP] Conquering Despair

Postby Teldurn » April 27th, 2014, 2:17 am

In the process of doing up a quest pack for HeroQuest Prime, I've started work on the first quest. The icons are for vermin, goblins, kobolds, orcs, and fimir. I'll probably swap out individual racial icons for specialized ones (goblin grunt, goblin archer, etc.)

War is not the answer...unless the question is, 'What is not the answer?'

Check out Broadsword, a love letter to 90s dungeon crawling board games.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Destroyed a Zombie!Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Teldurn

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: [Quest Pack][WIP] Conquering Despair

Postby Sotiris » April 27th, 2014, 3:19 am

Nice! I'm interested to hear Vermin's & Kobold's stats and what the Slime Fimir spell does.
My new unpublished boardgame on Tabletopia free platform:
https://tabletopia.com/games/stellar_omega

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Sotiris

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: Ελληνικά
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:

Postby chaoticprime » April 27th, 2014, 4:00 am

From the title I thought this might be some kind of therapy.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Usergroups:

Postby Teldurn » April 27th, 2014, 10:29 am

chaoticprime wrote:From the title I thought this might be some kind of therapy.

:lol:
The name will make more sense as I continue down the questline.

Sotiris wrote:Nice! I'm interested to hear Vermin's & Kobold's stats and what the Slime Fimir spell does.

There is a set of Fimir spells I found around here that someone else had done. I won't be using all of them (I think they are too overpowered) but Slime is one that will stay. Basically it makes a hero lose a turn.

As far as the stats on Vermin and Kobolds, I'm on my phone right now so I can't look them up now, but I have another thread titled HeroQuest Prime you can search for if you want

Rewards:
Teldurn

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Teldurn » April 27th, 2014, 11:44 am

A quick unformatted copypasta job from my notes.

Kobold: Kobolds are small, scaly, and reptile-like creatures who prefer ambushing their opponents. They are distantly related to dragons, and revere them as gods. They have a clan structure, and are usually led by either Orcs or Fimir in battle.
Thrower - Throws daggers. 12move, 1AD, 1DD, 1BP, 1MP. Drops a Dagger.
Demolitionist - Runs and explodes all adjacent squares then dies. 6move, 2AD (area), 1DD, 1BP, 1MP. Does not drop anything.
Skirmisher - Opportunist (like Bravo). 12 move, 2AD, 1DD, 1BP, 1MP. Drops a Hatchet.

Fimir: - Larger than Kobolds, but they share the same ancestral bloodlines.
Same as base Game System, but can also cast 1 Fimir spell. 6move, 3AD, 3DD, 2BP, 3MP. Drops an Axe.

Goblin: Goblins are similar in size to Kobolds, but are more reckless. Similarly, they also have a clan structure, but are led by Orcs.
Grunt - Can move through Hero squares. 10move, 2AD, 1DD, 1BP, 1MP. Drops a Dagger.
Archer - Ranged attacks. 10move, 2AD, 1DD, 1BP, 1MP. Drops a Shortbow.
Captain - Sturdy (ignore 1 Body Point of damage once per Quest). 6move, 2AD, 2DD, 2BP, 1MP. Drops a Hatchet or Dagger.

Orc: Orcs are larger and meaner versions of Goblins. They are tribal creatures, with an unquenchable thirst for battle.
Warrior - Same as base Game System. 8move, 3AD, 2DD, 1BP, 2MP. Drops a Shortsword, Flail, or Axe.
Archer - Ranged attacks. 8move, 3AD, 2DD, 1BP, 2MP. Drops a Shortbow.
Shaman - Knows Orc Shaman Spells. 8move, 1AD, 2DD, 2BP, 4MP. Drops a Dagger.
    Orc Berserker: The Shaman may choose one Orc within their line of sight to be filled with immense strength and vigor. That Orc may then move twice and attack twice during this turn only.
    Shield of Protection: This spell allows the Shaman and all Orcs in the same room to roll one extra Combat Die in defense until the beginning of the Shaman’s next turn. This spell may not be used in corridors.
    Sharpen Blades: This spell allows all Orcs in the same room as the Shaman to roll an extra Combat Die in attack for this turn only. This spell may not be used in corridors.
    Spirit of Vengeance: This spell allows a Shaman to send an invisible spirit to attack any one figure on the board. The spirit attacks the figure with 4 Combat Dice, which the figure may defend against normally. The spirit then vanishes. The spirit itself cannot be harmed.
    Summon Goblins: The Shaman may immediately take four Goblin figures from anywhere on or off the game board and place them anywhere within the Shaman’s line of sight. The Goblins may move and attack immediately, unless they have already done so this turn.
    Summon Orcs: The Shaman may immediately take two Orc figures from anywhere on the game board and place them within the Shaman’s line of sight. The Orcs may move and attack immediately, unless they have already done so this turn.

Vermin: Small critters (bats, rats, mice, etc.) that are too small to hit individually, they attack in large groups.
Swarm attack (add +1AD for every Vermin that attacks the same target (example below). They all take their attacks simultaneously). 8move, 1AD, 1DD, 1BP, 1MP. Does not drop anything.

Rewards:
Teldurn

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Teldurn » April 27th, 2014, 6:19 pm

I'm wondering if I need to add a note for the stepping stones near the exits, or is it self-explanatory enough?

Rewards:
Teldurn

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Teldurn » April 28th, 2014, 12:46 pm

I've rearranged and updated the quest progression flowchart, plus text. It should be easier to follow the rough, general idea for the quest pack now. But of course, more details will be revealed when I get around to them. ;)
Last edited by Teldurn on April 28th, 2014, 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Teldurn

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby clmckay » April 28th, 2014, 1:01 pm

I really like the look of these. I'll eagerly look forward to this! When it's pretty close to done, I'd love to give it a shot with my group of friends.

Personally....I think I'd put the rules about the Stepping stones in. Either in the quest notes, or in a summary sheet at the start of the quest book.

*Edit*: Also....in the First of Five...there is a goblin ontop of a table. Could be an interesting mechanic, or a typo.

Chris

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
clmckay

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Teldurn » April 28th, 2014, 1:20 pm

clmckay wrote:I really like the look of these. I'll eagerly look forward to this! When it's pretty close to done, I'd love to give it a shot with my group of friends.

Personally....I think I'd put the rules about the Stepping stones in. Either in the quest notes, or in a summary sheet at the start of the quest book.

*Edit*: Also....in the First of Five...there is a goblin ontop of a table. Could be an interesting mechanic, or a typo.

Chris

Thanks! The whole quest pack is meant to be played with my HeroQuest Prime rules overhaul & supplement, which adds a lot of granularity and customization on top of the base game system.

I'm leaning toward adding some sort of note about the stepping stones, as well. Just so everyone is clear what would happen if they fell into the open pit.

It's not a typo. HQP has rules for climbing over low furniture. That particular goblin is going to be an archer so he can have line of sight to the whole room, bypassing the LoS block that his monster buddies would normally give.

Rewards:
Teldurn

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Daedalus » April 28th, 2014, 5:39 pm

Looking cool. Second on including a note about the stepping stones. I'd also think some kind of clue as to the Quests beyond the two exits would make the choice more interesting.

A minor point for the first Quest--take it or leave it--cut the gold reward to about half. Heroes level up fast in HQ, so I'd suggest drawing things out as much as possible. You should get more mileage out of your later Quests that way. Of course, you may want fast progression if future Quests ramp up quickly.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Next

Return to HeroQuest Prime