• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

HeroQuest Prime

All topics related to the HeroQuest Prime project are discussed here.

Re: HeroQuest Prime

Postby Teldurn » December 29th, 2013, 5:51 pm

Hopefully one of the last posts about races and classes. There was talk of making the Barbarian a class, but frankly, both Berserker and Warrior fill that role, so Barbarian will not be included - unless you can convince me of a very compelling ability that isn't already covered elsewhere.

Race - Special Ability
    Human - Versatile: Add 1 to your choice of Body Points, Mind Points, or Movement.
    Dwarf - +1BP, -1MP, Sturdy: Ignore the movement penalty while heavy armor is worn.
    Elf - -1BP, +1MP, Bow Precision: Once per Quest, reroll one attack made with a bow.
    Dragonkin - Breath Weapon: Once per Quest, as an action, breathe fire (or ice or acid, etc., your choice at creation) in a straight line up to 3 squares. All monsters and heroes in that line take 1BP of damage that cannot be defended.
    Halfling - Find Food: As an action, search any room containing furniture for food, once. Roll 1d6. On a 4, 5, or 6 you find food that can heal 1BP if you eat it during the quest. After the quest, unused food is spoiled.

Class - Feature
    Assassin - Avoidance: If a Hazard card is pulled when searching for treasure, roll one combat die. If you roll a skull, disregard that card and pull another.
    Bard - 6 Bard Songs (done)
    Bravo - Opportunistic: You can split your movement phase up with an action.
    Berserker - Rage: Subtract up to 3 Defend Dice to add to your Attack Dice.
    Cleric - 6 Cleric Spells (TBD)
    Druid - 6 Druid Spells (done, 3 Plant and 3 Animal)
    Duelist - Riposte: If you get hit with 2 :skull: , you get a free riposte attack with 1CD. The enemy defends as normal.
    Elementalist -- Aeromancer - 9 Air spells*
    Elementalist -- Aquamancer - 9 Water spells*
    Elementalist -- Geomancer - 9 Earth spells*
    Elementalist -- Pyromancer - 9 Fire spells*
    Hunter - Favored Enemy: You pick one monster type (goblin, fimir, etc.). Against that monster type, you can roll 1 extra attack die.
    Knight - Chivalrous Defense: One adjacent Hero has Defend Dice equal to the Knight’s.
    Monk - Whirlwind Attack: Sacrifice your move action to attack more than one adjacent enemy. Split your attack dice between adjacent enemies.
    Necromancer - 9 Necromancer Spells (TBD)
    Paladin - Valorous Defense: While defending from attacks, you can roll both :blackshield: and :whiteshield: to defend.
    Ranger - Archer: Your range with bows is doubled.
    Warlord - Tactical Maneuvering: Switch places with one monster as your action, if you roll at least 1 :skull: on your attack.
    Warrior -Weaponmaster: Your weapons and armor do not get damaged no matter how many :blackshield: you roll.

*Some of the text from the spell cards from Phoenix's excellent Imperial Academy are cut off. How can I see what the full text says? http://heroquestbyphoenix.yeoldeinn.com ... pells1.pdf

So far, this accounts for 11 “fighter” classes, 5 “caster” classes, and 3 “hybrid” classes (can cast + melee), for a total of 19 classes now. I would like to round out the class list at 20, and I’m currently looking at three options, 2 of which are hybrids and 1 full caster: Time Mage, Swordmage, or bringing back the Illusionist.

Time Mage would have 6 spells - things like Haste (attack twice), Slow (reduce monsters’ movement), and Recall Time (allow a reroll), etc.

Swordmage would probably only have 3 spells which are more self-buffing, as he is more melee-capable than the other six-spell’d hybrids now, but not so much as pure fighters. The Swordmage is most similar to the Elf in theory, but in practice, he believes he is like a one-man wrecking crew. His spells do stuff like imbue his weapon with magic, or reduce an opponent’s attack, or even shoot an explosive fireball from the tip of his blade. It’s pretty badass.

Finally, Illusionist is a full 9-spell caster who would focus on stuff like disappearing, causing fear, illusory walls of stone or fire, and so forth.

Of course, I could also just include all 3 and bring the total to 22! ;) What do you guys think?
Last edited by Teldurn on December 29th, 2013, 6:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
War is not the answer...unless the question is, 'What is not the answer?'

Check out Broadsword, a love letter to 90s dungeon crawling board games.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Destroyed a Zombie!Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Teldurn

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Gold Bearer » December 29th, 2013, 6:03 pm

Teldurn wrote:
Gold Bearer wrote:The Paladin should defend with either shield instead of skulls just because they're shields and it wouldn't alter him at all.

I was just putting all the changes over the last 5 pages into a single document and it occurred to me that this one wouldn't work. You may have seen me mention a 3 black shield threshold for dice rolls. If the paladin defends an attack with (let's say) 4CD and rolls :blackshield: :blackshield: :blackshield: :whiteshield: , does that mean he defended successfully and damaged his armor? Creates a paradox, not cool. It would have to be defense on skulls instead for this to work correctly albeit less thematically than with shields. It's still mathematically sound, so it's good. :)
I didn't think about armour damage when I suggested it. I think a better way than three dice is to say it's damaged if more than (so not including) half the dice are black shields. That way better armour is harder to damage instead of easier.

There are a few options if you still want the paladin defending on shields. One is to simply say it can be damaged with a successful defence roll, I don't think it's a contradiction. Other ways would be to say that the armour isn't broken with a successful roll increasing the skill slightly, or to decrease the skill slightly and say that the armour is broken and doesn't defend successfully or only does if enough white shields are rolled. Defending on skulls just doesn't seem right.

I think more interesting rule for the knight would be everybody next to him gets a +1 defence dice, but only if the knight defends with more dice than they do. That way the knight player won't piss anyone off by having to decide who he's going to protect.

I figured out the US prices. Rust is in the chaos spell deck so you could buy a shortsword and a longsword is handy for when the heros are in a corridor and blocking a door. There's two US rules I really hate. One is that you can use a potion of healing after you die and the other is that each room can be searched for treasure by every hero. I suppose that's to offset the tougher monsters but it still seems silly.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Teldurn » December 29th, 2013, 6:21 pm

Gold Bearer wrote:I didn't think about armour damage when I suggested it. I think a better way than three dice is to say it's damaged if more than (so not including) half the dice are black shields. That way better armour is harder to damage instead of easier.

There are a few options if you still want the paladin defending on shields. One is to simply say it can be damaged with a successful defence roll, I don't think it's a contradiction. Other ways would be to say that the armour isn't broken with a successful roll increasing the skill slightly, or to decrease the skill slightly and say that the armour is broken and doesn't defend successfully or only does if enough white shields are rolled. Defending on skulls just doesn't seem right.

I think more interesting rule for the knight would be everybody next to him gets a +1 defence dice, but only if the knight defends with more dice than they do. That way the knight player won't piss anyone off by having to decide who he's going to protect.

I figured out the US prices. Rust is in the chaos spell deck so you could buy a shortsword and a longsword is handy for when the heros are in a corridor and blocking a door. There's two US rules I really hate. One is that you can use a potion of healing after you die and the other is that each room can be searched for treasure by every hero. I suppose that's to offset the tougher monsters but it still seems silly.

The idea is to have the heroes spending money more often on stuff, so having a 3 black shield threshold is still a good idea to me.

For the paladin, I think you make a good point. I have edited my last post with this. It would make sense to defend successfully and still damage the armor. But just so you're clear, let me reiterate that broken and damaged are two different game terms that mean different things. In this case, armor gets damaged when you roll 3 black shields when defending an attack. When you damage your armor, you roll one less combat die for that armor. If you damage your armor again without repairing it first, then it becomes broken and unusable. That armor does not add any additional combat die to your defense.

And I really actually love the searching a room by every hero. That means they have a much higher chance of pulling a hazard or wandering monster card.

Rewards:
Teldurn

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Teldurn » December 30th, 2013, 11:04 pm

A quick update from today's work results.

In keeping with the one-word class naming convention, Time Mage becomes Chronomancer. How awesome does that sound! :D
Also, I figured what the hell, all three hybrids are going to be included in the roster. If playtesting reveals them to be too much, they will be amended later.

Additionally, a little bit of fussing over magic has begun but I won't get really deep into it until the classes have been finalized (or near enough). What I have so far:
- Spell casting costs 1MP per spell
- After you cast a spell, roll 2d6 and if you roll at or below the current number of unused cards in that spell group, you do not lose a mind point. Otherwise, lose 1 MP for each spell cast.
- MP regenerates at the rate of 1 every 3 turns. You can also buy Potion of _____ which will restore MP and they will be relatively cheap so they can be stockpiled.
- Being reduced to 0MP means you are stunned. Until your MP is brought to 1 or above, you cannot attack; you defend with only 2DD; and you move with only 1d6.

More later.

Rewards:
Teldurn

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Teldurn » January 10th, 2014, 2:55 pm

Since the last two times I have asked this it has gone unanswered, here it is a third time (the charm?):

The text from some of the spell cards from Phoenix's Imperial Academy are cut off. How can I see what the full text says? http://heroquestbyphoenix.yeoldeinn.com ... pells1.pdf

Rewards:
Teldurn

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Teldurn » January 10th, 2014, 6:29 pm

Yo, here's a WIP of the whole shebang. I'll pretty it up once it's done and output to PDF.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Up0 ... sp=sharing

Rewards:
Teldurn

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Teldurn » January 19th, 2014, 11:16 pm

The rules are ostensibly done, but subject to change after playtesting. The quest pack still needs to be done. But I'd rather not really get started on that without finalizing the rules first. For that same reason, I don't have any pretty images done - plus I'm not sure if I want to.

I'm pretty proud of this thing so far. There are a couple things in there that make me want to try it out pronto.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0b8KD ... sp=sharing

Rewards:
Teldurn

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Daedalus » February 3rd, 2014, 7:47 pm

Teldurn wrote:Since the last two times I have asked this it has gone unanswered, here it is a third time (the charm?):

The text from some of the spell cards from Phoenix's Imperial Academy are cut off. How can I see what the full text says? http://heroquestbyphoenix.yeoldeinn.com ... pells1.pdf

You could try PMing him, perhaps he has the original document available.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Teldurn » February 4th, 2014, 11:24 am

Already done so, and thanks. :)

Rewards:
Teldurn

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Dark Fire Jade » March 9th, 2014, 4:04 am

Hello I like alot of the ideas and topics going on here a couple of thoughts to toss out there tho.

1. The Assasin in my opinion they should be more efficent in killing not be at disarming or avoiding traps thats more of a thief thing in my opinion so bring him back with that skill is my thought.

2. But i love assasin's my idea is to possibly a bonus dice for attack when attacking creatures from behind or maybe causing bleeding damage if they can at least make a hit on foes with more than one bp? Or possiblity of a deflect attack or counter attack ability say roll a cd on a roll of a blk shield may defelct or counter attack? Or Another thought choice to not defend and get to attack the attacker back like a sacrifice defense move? as you can see im a bit partial to assasin and working on a quest pack based on assasin's creed and posting updates on the quest additions section if anyone is intrested in it feddback and ideas welcome there.

3. bounty hunter gains gold a set amount for each monster killed ie 1g for a goblin 3g for a orc and 7 for a fimir and so on like claim hides or something and distributing things to wizards and necromancers from them spell components and blood etc from bodies thus how hero earns his pay.

I hope to see more and good luck will be keeping watch here too! |_P
There is sorrow behind those wintery eyes.... But with the Storm comes lighting and thunder bringing light and fear to those who cause trouble within the storm.

Projects Currently working on HQIII story arc idea, assasin's creed packs, advancement system "from heroes to champions" I and II are up part III coming soon, Tales of a Jester/ Loki Quest Pack and much more pm me for more info or search for my topics and posts! |_P
Dark Fire Jade

Skeleton
Skeleton

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to HeroQuest Prime