• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Q1: "The Man Undercover" by TMU & MrBigB

Quests for the HeroQuest 25th Anniversary Quest Pack.
Forum rules
Please follow this format:

Post Subject: Q#. "Title" by "Author"

First Post: Map + Quest Notes

Following Posts: Public discussion.

Re: Q1: "The Man Undercover" by TMU & MrBigB

Postby Daedalus » September 11th, 2018, 3:19 pm

It may be just me, but I don't get the title. How about Ye Olde Inn instead? It's our Quest Pack, after all.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby j_dean80 » September 11th, 2018, 3:29 pm

Daedalus wrote:It may be just me, but I don't get the title. How about Ye Olde Inn instead? It's our Quest Pack, after all.

I don't get it either.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » September 12th, 2018, 9:14 pm

I did a quick rework on some of the existing tiles to make them fit. I'm sure someone can do better.

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Anderas » September 13th, 2018, 1:15 am

Isnt there the quarter-of-a-board yeoldeinn tile?

I also questimated it.
Assumptions:
* Three wandering monsters are drawn

Result:
For a :skull: :skull: -Dice-Group it's around 10 BP loss. This assumes they know where to search their weapons. That's quite easy going.
In Worst case, if they don't know the location of their start weapons and they fight all the dungeon with :skull: , they lose around 18 BP. That's perfect as difficulties go; it's a value that I like to use myself as quest difficulty as I feel it is the perfect on the border between too easy and to killy.

Finally, I think the reward for saving the blacksmith is too high. Giving the heroes directly in the first quest a (weapon of their choice) 4-Dice-Weapon is a bit.... Could we settle for spears as reward? Like that they gain diagonal attacks which is already better than their starting weapon.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » September 13th, 2018, 7:09 am

Anderas wrote:Isnt there the quarter-of-a-board yeoldeinn tile?

I also questimated it.
Assumptions:
* Three wandering monsters are drawn

Result:
For a :skull: :skull: -Dice-Group it's around 10 BP loss. This assumes they know where to search their weapons. That's quite easy going.
In Worst case, if they don't know the location of their start weapons and they fight all the dungeon with :skull: , they lose around 18 BP. That's perfect as difficulties go; it's a value that I like to use myself as quest difficulty as I feel it is the perfect on the border between too easy and to killy.

Finally, I think the reward for saving the blacksmith is too high. Giving the heroes directly in the first quest a (weapon of their choice) 4-Dice-Weapon is a bit.... Could we settle for spears as reward? Like that they gain diagonal attacks which is already better than their starting weapon.

I can move that solitary room to the other side of the board and use the existing inn tile if that's everyone's preference. I was trying to keep with the original quest design as much as I could.

Daedalus and I were discussing maybe a discount offered by the blacksmith. Spears aren't part of the NA game, so that may not be the best choice.

Sounds like the difficulty is good, in case they don't find the weapons right off. We wouldn't want to wipe a party in the very first quest.

Rewards:
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby benvoliothefirst » September 13th, 2018, 9:28 am

I kinda like the idea of getting spears in an early quest, then players are forced to choose between diagonal attacks and more dice later. Adds some strategy.

And I definitely think the quest should be called some variant of "Trouble at Ye Olde Inn"!
wickedmetal.blogspot.com <--I paint HeroQuest!
My players' monthly game results
Mods I Use:
Base Quests in four difficulty steps by Anderas
Random Events by Jacob Busby (pg.5)
Karlen's Circlet by AerynB/drathe/sajungzak
Heartfelt thanks to all of you who have worked to enrich the world of HeroQuest!
Goblin-King wrote:When life gives you lemons, squeeze those lemons into your eyes, enter a berserker rage and punch life in the face!

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
benvoliothefirst

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » September 13th, 2018, 8:31 pm

Did a redo on the map. Just need to go through and fix the notes now.

Last edited by j_dean80 on September 14th, 2018, 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Daedalus » September 14th, 2018, 5:17 pm

Yep, I suggested that earlier as well. Now I'm not sure if it is worth the ink, as there is only one optional fight planned in the kitchen. I'd feel more inclined to print a large inn tile were a proper brawl featured. Also, can Bene's corner tile print on an 81/2 x 11 in. sheet without margins?

Not only would j_dean80's original floor plan save on printing, but the versatility of bed and chair tiles makes them more likely to be used in other Quests. Check out this post from Valnar Nightrunner for some beds and chair examples. The flooring mismatch isn't ideal, but they work well enough. His benches could fit in the central room as well, but the incongruous flooring issue would create sections of flooring (perhaps not too bad?)

j_dean80, if you keep the corner tile, I'd say place a table and maybe the throne in the common room. Also, the monsters in the kitchen couldn't have gotten by the Heroes at the start of the game without their notice. I'd recommend adding a sevice door to the corridor/street for them to have entered through.

Anderas wrote:Finally, I think the reward for saving the blacksmith is too high. Giving the heroes directly in the first quest a (weapon of their choice) 4-Dice-Weapon is a bit.... Could we settle for spears as reward? Like that they gain diagonal attacks which is already better than their starting weapon.

According to the design document, an Armory addition is planned. If we want to uphold that EU-inclusive direction, spears would work. They could either be a purchased from the Blacksmith (at a possible discount), or one or two could be offered as a straight-up reward instead.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » September 14th, 2018, 7:09 pm

Daedalus wrote:

Yep, I suggested that earlier as well. Now I'm not sure if it is worth the ink, as there is only one optional fight planned in the kitchen. I'd feel more inclined to print a large inn tile were a proper brawl featured. Also, can Bene's corner tile print on an 81/2 x 11 in. sheet without margins?

Not only would j_dean80's original floor plan save on printing, but the versatility of bed and chair tiles makes them more likely to be used in other Quests. Check out this post from Valnar Nightrunner for some beds and chair examples. The flooring mismatch isn't ideal, but they work well enough. His benches could fit in the central room as well, but the incongruous flooring issue would create sections of flooring (perhaps not too bad?)

j_dean80, if you keep the corner tile, I'd say place a table and maybe the throne in the common room. Also, the monsters in the kitchen couldn't have gotten by the Heroes at the start of the game without their notice. I'd recommend adding a sevice door to the corridor/street for them to have entered through.

Anderas wrote:Finally, I think the reward for saving the blacksmith is too high. Giving the heroes directly in the first quest a (weapon of their choice) 4-Dice-Weapon is a bit.... Could we settle for spears as reward? Like that they gain diagonal attacks which is already better than their starting weapon.

According to the design document, an Armory addition is planned. If we want to uphold that EU-inclusive direction, spears would work. They could either be a purchased from the Blacksmith (at a possible discount), or one or two could be offered as a straight-up reward instead.

The Heroes would begin on the beds. That's the room note, that would allow the monsters to sneak in.

Rewards:
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby j_dean80 » September 14th, 2018, 8:14 pm

So what is the consensus on the blacksmith? It's a community project, so I want to know what the majority wants. 1. Discount on the Armory 2. Spears (1 for each or a limit?) Can the Wizard use a spear?

Edit: I updated the map.

Also, is everyone happy with Quest 2 and 3?

Rewards:
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to HQ25th Quests