• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Q17: Minos Pass

Quests for the HeroQuest 25th Anniversary Quest Pack.
Forum rules
Please follow this format:

Post Subject: Q#. "Title" by "Author"

First Post: Map + Quest Notes

Following Posts: Public discussion.

Q17: Minos Pass

Postby Count Mohawk » September 12th, 2014, 1:23 pm

This is the third quest in the Cultist / Undead arc. The first two are "Q15: The Ruins of Direburg" and "Q16: The Silent Crypts".

HQ25 Quest 17.png

QUEST 17: Minos Pass

It has become clear to me that the Cult of Chaos is a major threat to the peace and security of the Empire. Loretome has revealed to me that their citadel lies at the far end of a mountain pass. The crags are treacherous, but of greater concern are the two minotaur brothers that guard the pass. These beasts demand tribute from any who would pass through their mountains. Choose wisely whether to pay or fight them, for their toll is as high as they are cruel.

NOTES—
A One random Spell Scroll rests on this table.
B When a Hero Searches for Treasure in this room, ask him if he wants to pry open the tomb of a great warrior. If he does, he will find a Shield in pristine condition lying on top of an old corpse.
C These two Minotaurs are brothers who guard the mountain pass from invaders. They demand 100 Gold Coins in tribute each time a Hero enters this room. If the tribute is paid, they will neither move nor attack the Heroes.
If the Heroes choose to fight the minotaur brothers, as long as both of them are alive, each of them defends with two additional Combat Dice.
The treasure chests each contain 150 Gold Coins. (Edit: "...plus any gold paid as tribute earlier in the Quest.")
D The cultists here wear gaudy robes signifying their higher rank in the Cult of Chaos. On their turn, if all three cultists are still alive, they can collectively cast a spell of banishing instead of attacking of casting a Spell as normal. This spell sends all Heroes in the room back to the iron entrance door of the Quest. The cultists may only banish the Heroes once.
E This stairway leads into the Citadel of Chaos, and marks the end of the Quest.

Wandering Monster: Beastman
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Count Mohawk on July 5th, 2015, 5:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Marquis of Math
Count Mohawk

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Q17: Minos Pass

Postby Count Mohawk » September 12th, 2014, 1:29 pm

I knew that I would want to borrow some of the other HQ25 monsters at some point during this Quest Pack so as to increase the Heroes' exposure to the different varieties. The two Minotaur brothers are the most complicated part of the Quest, although the correct response to the question they pose will be to fight them a great majority of the time, since except for the minotaurs themselves, the rest of the monsters are not overly threatening.

In any case, this Quest does afford the Heroes a minor breather before the Citadel of Chaos, which I intend to make more challenging, as befitting of a boss level.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Marquis of Math
Count Mohawk

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » September 12th, 2014, 1:53 pm

As far as I'm concerned, 'borrowing' monsters from other chapters is highly recommended as long as the spotlight is not taken away from that chapter, so yeah, I welcome a pair of monotaur brothers in this story arc. Doing that helps weaving all the parts together in a coherent and cohesive storyline.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » September 17th, 2014, 1:32 am

I assume killing the Minotaurs regains any paid tribute. I like the special Banishment spell for 3 Cultists that goes beyond their standard abilities--nice implementation of the idea. This can present a major penalty if the Heroes paid tribute to pass earlier, but if they killed the Minotaurs it mainly serves to only extend the game. The spell could be made more dangerous if it stated one Hero or all the Heroes in LOS may be returned back to the entrance.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Return to HQ25th Quests