• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Q2: "Chasing Glory" by TMU & MrBigB [SUPER EARLY VERSION]

Quests for the HeroQuest 25th Anniversary Quest Pack.
Forum rules
Please follow this format:

Post Subject: Q#. "Title" by "Author"

First Post: Map + Quest Notes

Following Posts: Public discussion.

Re: Q2: "Chasing Glory" by TMU & MrBigB

Postby TMU » March 28th, 2016, 11:20 am

Same thing here as the other ones.

A - This chest contains a spear trap and 50 :2cents:
B - These chests contain 100 :2cents:
C - Hidden in the tomb is a healing potion.
D - This falling block trap activates after the last hero passes this square.
E - This (re-occuring monster X) is the leader of this group. Its stats are as follows:
Move X
Attack X Defense X
Body X Mind X

On a side note, GA is Goblin Archer, not Gargoyle ;) Also, the quest starts from the staircase, not from the door.

If the reoccuring monster loses its minions or its own bodypoints, it escapes trough a pit trap underneath it. Mentor tells the heroes to follow it. Still need to find a way to add this to the quest notes :)
"There is no greater danger than playing it safe."

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Second Lieutenant
TMU

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Q2: "Chasing Glory" by TMU & MrBigB [SUPER EARLY VERSION

Postby j_dean80 » September 5th, 2018, 9:55 pm

See Quest 1 for my notes.

Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Anderas » September 13th, 2018, 3:50 am

I questimated this one.

Depends on how the heroes get out of the first quest - if they get out there with 4-dice-weapons it's hard but doable, with 20 BP loss in total. 20 BP means that very likely one of the heroes dies, maybe even a second or third.

Assuming we stretch the hero development a bit to fill 25 quests, they will get out of the first quest with 2-Dice-Weapons. Then it is way too hard to survive. Well it is meant to be too hard, to get the heroes imprisoned, right? :-)

Quest notes:
* It might be worth to add a note that this and the following quest are meant to be played together, and that dead heroes are not dead but imprisoned.
* The goblin archer stats are missing, or we make an "official" HQ25 card for them. For me they belong in the game, so they should have a playcard.

My assumptions:
* Goblin archers attack with :skull: :skull: like the normal Goblins.
* Three wandering monsters are drawn
* The Orc shaman has the same stats like in WoM. He is the primary target of the heroes.
* Three Heroes attack, the Wizard tempest the Shaman one round.
* The goblin shaman survives 2, maybe 3 rounds so he will use "Summon Orcs", because this is the strongest spell he has. This is not even included in the calculation and comes on top!

Results
The entire quest (without the shaman room) has 16 BP, plus traps = 20 BP which would be fine - after all, you can search for all but one trap and avoid them.

The shaman room alone costs 27 BP without counting the shaman spells. So here the heroes get imprisoned. :mrgreen:

Could you share the xml file next time? That would be nice for playing around with it myself.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » September 13th, 2018, 7:14 am

Anderas wrote:I questimated this one.

Depends on how the heroes get out of the first quest - if they get out there with 4-dice-weapons it's hard but doable, with 20 BP loss in total. 20 BP means that very likely one of the heroes dies, maybe even a second or third.

Assuming we stretch the hero development a bit to fill 25 quests, they will get out of the first quest with 2-Dice-Weapons. Then it is way too hard to survive. Well it is meant to be too hard, to get the heroes imprisoned, right? :-)

Quest notes:
* It might be worth to add a note that this and the following quest are meant to be played together, and that dead heroes are not dead but imprisoned.
* The goblin archer stats are missing, or we make an "official" HQ25 card for them. For me they belong in the game, so they should have a playcard.

My assumptions:
* Goblin archers attack with :skull: :skull: like the normal Goblins.
* Three wandering monsters are drawn
* The Orc shaman has the same stats like in WoM. He is the primary target of the heroes.
* Three Heroes attack, the Wizard tempest the Shaman one round.
* The goblin shaman survives 2, maybe 3 rounds so he will use "Summon Orcs", because this is the strongest spell he has. This is not even included in the calculation and comes on top!

Results
The entire quest (without the shaman room) has 16 BP, plus traps = 20 BP which would be fine - after all, you can search for all but one trap and avoid them.

The shaman room alone costs 27 BP without counting the shaman spells. So here the heroes get imprisoned. :mrgreen:

Could you share the xml file next time? That would be nice for playing around with it myself.

Sounds about right. It is meant to give them a fighting chance but kill off (capture) most if not all.

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Anderas » September 13th, 2018, 7:43 am

If they enter the shaman's room, they have no chance at all. :) 20 BP from the normal quest plus 27 from the Shaman's room plus the Shaman's spells on top. They'll be captured. :D That's the quest concept so no problem with that.

If you want to give them a chance to go around, there needs be a way around that room.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » September 13th, 2018, 8:29 am

Anderas wrote:If they enter the shaman's room, they have no chance at all. :) 20 BP from the normal quest plus 27 from the Shaman's room plus the Shaman's spells on top. They'll be captured. :D That's the quest concept so no problem with that.

If you want to give them a chance to go around, there needs be a way around that room.

The point really is they get captured. There needed to be an exit just in case of bad EWP dice rolls.

Rewards:
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby TMU » September 17th, 2018, 8:07 am

Here you are, ruining our hard work of five years and counting... :lol: I would like to still be the "master" of these quests, since they were mine and MrBigB's from the beginning, tho I have no problem whatsoever with you helping ;)
"There is no greater danger than playing it safe."

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Second Lieutenant
TMU

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » September 17th, 2018, 6:21 pm

TMU wrote:Here you are, ruining our hard work of five years and counting... :lol: I would like to still be the "master" of these quests, since they were mine and MrBigB's from the beginning, tho I have no problem whatsoever with you helping ;)

Not trying to step on toes. Was told they just needed some tweaks and I tried to keep them as close to the originals as possible.

Rewards:
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Daedalus » November 28th, 2018, 12:44 pm

j_dean80 wrote:
TMU wrote:Here you are, ruining our hard work of five years and counting... :lol: I would like to still be the "master" of these quests, since they were mine and MrBigB's from the beginning, tho I have no problem whatsoever with you helping ;)

Not trying to step on toes. Was told they just needed some tweaks and I tried to keep them as close to the originals as possible.

I think a credits section at the end of the pack might be in order. This Quest could credit TMU and MrBigB as creators with j_dean80 as a developer.

Now I have some comments and edit suggestions. (Sorry for the late reply. :oops: ) I use NA formatting.

About the map: Since the door count for this Quest is 20, 4 doors need to be dropped. The route must be simplified a bit at a couple of points along the way.

Parchment Text:
j_dean80 wrote: "I have found the source of the small raiding party. The Emperor will reward you greatly for erasing this threat from the Empire. Clear the dungeon then find the stairs leading out."

NOTES:

"I have found the source of the small raiding party. The Emperor has given you rights to the spoils if you kill Gnarg, the Orcs' Shaman leader. Then find and enter the stairway to Gnarg's prisons."
    NOTES:

Mentor is privy to Heroes' greatness, but the Emperor shouldn't think much of them yet. As such, I had him let other people's money pay their smallish reward . . . "Let the Orcs pay them!"

j_dean80 wrote:A. This falling rock trap is triggered when the last Hero passes over it.

This falling block trap is triggered after the last Hero passes over it.
    I thought it would be better that the last Hero wasn't harmed for merely entering the Quest.

j_dean80 wrote:B. On the Bench is a Spell Scroll of Courage.

B. On the bench, there is a spell scroll of Courage.
    I like spell scrolls in our expansion. Some spells were used as spell scrolls in more than one expansion, so Courage could be used. However, the Design Document calls for original work over using content from other expansions. If we still want to hold that, we should include newly created ones. More on that here.

Other spell scrolls are possible using the Kobold Trickster spells, but I wouldn't bother with those in this earlier Quest.

j_dean80 wrote:D. Inside the Cupboard is a Potion of Healing. When taken, this Potion will heal up to four lost Body Points.

D. Inside the cupboard, there is a Potion of Healing. This potion will restore up to 4 lost Body Points when consumed.
    j_dean80 wrote:E. . . . He will lose one Body Point. The Chest contains jewels stolen from the village. These jewels are worth 50 Gold Coins.

E. . . . He will lose 1 Body Point. The chest was stolen from the village. it contains jewels worth 50 Gold Coins.
    j_dean80 wrote:F. These trap doors can be passed by standing on one, the next turn the Hero starts on the other. The Weapon's Rack has nothing of use. The Chest contains stolen coins from the village. The worth is 75 Gold Coins.

F. These trap doors are linked by a tunnel. A Hero that ends his turn on one may pass through. The Hero then begins his next turn on the other trap door. The weapons rack has nothing of use. The chest contains 75 Gold Coins stolen from the village.

j_dean80 wrote:G. The Orc Captain rolls four combat dice on attack and three dice on defense.

G. Use the Orc with a notched sword for the Orc Captain. He rolls four Combat Dice to attack and three dice to defend.

j_dean80 wrote:H. The Orc Shaman knows the Orc Shaman Spells.

H. Use the Orc with the notched sword for the Orc Shaman. Gnarg knows five Chaos spells which he may cast instead of attacking: Escape, Fear, Sleep, Summon Orcs, and Tempest. If Gnarg's Body Points are reduced below half (even 0) he will use the Escape spell to exit the stairway. Gnarg has the following stats:
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Any attack that would reduce a Hero to 0 Body Points instead KOs him as a Sleep spell. A KO'd Hero may be captured with an adjacent attack. Remove both the Hero and monster from the gameboard. If all the Heroes are captured, c
      ontinue directly to Quest 3.
    As the Design Document calls for new material, things like spell sets from another expansion are off the table. As a Game System alternative, I chose Grak's spells. To beef up the magical power closer to the Orc Shaman spells, Summon Orcs was also included. The set was rounded out with Escape to meet the narrative direction set out by MrBigB for his reoccurring villain.

Hero Quest dictates that Heroes reduced to 0 Body Points are killed. To keep this rule in place, I added KO and capture rules to provide for the starting condition of the next Quest.
    UNCLE ZARGON
    WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
    Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
    Editor-in-Chief
    Daedalus
    Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
    Wizard

Usergroups:
    Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » November 28th, 2018, 5:59 pm

I don't need credit for these beginning Quests. I was just running with the content already created.

Rewards:
    j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
    Ice Gremlin

Hero:
    Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to HQ25th Quests