• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

5. HQ25 Ye Olde Inn 25th Quest Pack quests [post here]

Quests for the HeroQuest 25th Anniversary Quest Pack.
Forum rules
Please follow this format:

Post Subject: Q#. "Title" by "Author"

First Post: Map + Quest Notes

Following Posts: Public discussion.

5. HQ25 Ye Olde Inn 25th Quest Pack quests [post here]

Postby Sjeng » December 8th, 2013, 5:09 am

This topic is solely for the posting of your quests for the 25th anniversary quest pack! I want to keep this topic short, clean, easy to follow. Please discuss your quest ideas in the appropriate topic. (you can link to your post in this thread over there, and discuss it there).
Summary of the quest discussion and monster choices topics:

Sjeng wrote:Well, with the recent 25th anniversary stuff going on, I would like to ask if you all are willing to participate on the following idea:

We, Inn members, create a large quest pack as a special 25th anniversary quest book thingy.

The idea is that we devise a loose storyline. Something not too set in stone, but a general idea. (DONE)
Then we make quests. We post them, and see if we can mold them all into a logical story.
We create a cool template for the pdf, with a nice 25th logo (working on that already), and release it to the public as an exclusive Ye Olde Inn fanbase project.

Requirements:

- writers have champion status.
- original 4 heroes (barbarian, elf, dwarf, wizard) that start out fresh.
- original hq board and tiles. New tiles that can be placed on the board may be created and added to the pdf.
- 1-5 quest each or in a small team, 25 quests in total.
- Monsters we agreed on in the other topic.

rough story outlines:

Chapter 1
Q1: village raided bij lesser evil, heroes are only survivors, must work together. At the end contacted by Mentor. (kobolds, goblins, monsters we agreed on in the other topic)
Q2-Q3: followup quests (where our heroes find out that the lesser evil is commanded by greater evil, and are sent out to follow leads to find this greater evil.)
(TMU + MrBigB. GK's idea: Q1. Village is raided by orcs. The heroes are just ordinary travelers from their respective homelands who just happen to be in the village. They don't even start the same place on the board, but in the end they meet up and find out they work together well.
Q2. Mentor also "happens" to be in the village. He quickly spots the heroes as the only survivors that can actually take care of business. He tells them to go kill the orc raiders and free any prisoners. The heroes tracks the orcs back to their lair.
Q3. The heroes slay the orcs, frees the prisoners and kills the boss. Back in the village Mentor proclaims them heroes: They are destined for great deeds! And that is the new beginning of HEROQUEST!)

Chapter 2
Q4-Q8: path 1: follow the dragonkin lead: (Knightkrawler, gootchute and sajungzak: My ideas revolve around Kobold Dragonpriests and Dragonshields flooding the swamps and convincing the Fimir that the Great Wyrm is supposed to be awakened somewhere deeper in the bog where even the Fimir who worship dragons in general and the Great Wyrm in particular didn't think it is.
Of course, the two factions work together grudgingly to find the resting place, all under the eye of Morcar who wants the body of the Great Wyrm as a vassal all for himself (his essence), sending his chaos henchmen to steal the surprisingly young and little dragon thingie.
Morcar finds out it fell mystically asleep as a mere hatchling (or was "convinced" to do so) and abducts it into the chaos wastes for the beastmen and chaos dwarfs who have been called from their own industrious purposes in their own bloody brass city to watch over it and for their practitioners of magic and science to find ways to accomplish Morcar's plan.)

Chapter 3
Q9-Q13: path 2: follow the chaos lead (Goblin-King: Rumors whispers about something dark having taken residence in the long-abandoned Dark Castle (placeholder name ;)). Disaster if the forces of evil get a foothold in that area.
Go there, reveal any evil forces and eliminate them.
Q9. Travel through the ancient ruins to get to Dark Castle. Ambushed by beastmen and fight your way through.
Q10. Secret entrance to Dark Castle. STEALTH QUEST! Some mechanic where monsters can somehow call for assistance if not killed quickly. Exit is guarded by... Chaos Dwarfs! Dun dun duuun!
Q11. Now it's time to kill some chaos dwarfs and figure out what they are up to. Find chaos forge: They are preparing for war! Free several prisoners which reveal they were meant to be sacrificed.
(new printable: Prison cell door? Could be useful in a lot of quests, even outside this pack)
Q12. The sacrifices can only mean summoning of powerful evil magic. The chamber of sacrifice can only be entered by possessing two relics guarded by powerful chaos dwarf sorcerers. Get the relics and gain entrance to the final confrontation.
Q13. First half: the heroes are too late and a demon has been summoned. Kill it. Second half: Escape the castle as it begins to collapse! )

Chapter 4
Q14-Q18: path 3: follow the greenskins lead (Sjeng: greenskins all over the place, being driven away by forces of evil (as of yet unknown source), raiding whatever village they come across. Heroes sent in for help. A town under siege / tracking the path the greenskins came from / trying to drive the greenskins away from populated areas / finding out why they swarmed out, finding an orc leader to question, traces of chaos beastmen found.) I might only need 4 quests, we shall see. (I actually think the greenskins chapter should be before the other two. Going from easy to difficult: Greenskins - plot thickens - Kobolds - more to the plot - Chaos Dwarves/Beastmen - plot revealed!)

All chapters so far: Undead mixed in everywhere, as the greater evil surely will have necromancers, zombies in the swamps, skeletons in crypts etc.
After they find out the greater scheme of things, Mentor tells them there are artefacts that can defeat the greater Evil.

Chapter 5
Q19: Go find artefact A (greenskin caves/mines? dwarf artefact)
Q20: Go find artefact B (dragonkin swamps? wizard artefact)
Q21: Go find artefact C (chaos beastmen woods? elf artefact)
Q22: Go find artefact D (undead crypts? barbarian artefact)

Chapter 6
Q23: Find forgotten dwarven forge in chaos dwarven territory to combine artefacts into superweapon (this is just a suggestion. we could also let the heroes keep their artefacts)
Q24: Find secret lair of greater Evil
Q25: Defeat greater Evil

We can include a variety of environments. Think crypts, swamps, deserts, cities, caves, dungeons, castles, towers, sewers... Nice looking tiles can be made to put on the HQ board.

Feel free to add ideas, and to take your pick of a quest, and flesh it out with your ideas. Everybody is welcome to add thoughts and critisizm in the appropriate topic, or even cooperate with someone to create one or two quests together.

Go, spew ideas, post them here. I hope I'll have at least half of you to pick a quest and think of something before august 2014, so we can try and string them together for a fluent storyline.
Use anything you like. All existing monsters are allowed, including the ones we listed. As long as it fits the theme and isn't too difficult to proxy.
You may use ANY traps / artifacts / spells from all released sets within reason of course.

Go wild for now. When we gather everything, we will start fleshing things out, and then balancing it, so the difficulty curve will rise normally without overpowering the heroes too soon, or making it way too difficult for them.
Feel free to create new spells, items, weapons, potions etc. I encourage new game mechanics such as new traps, tricks etc. Rolling boulders and revolving rooms are nice, but try giving them a little twist, so we're not copying thing exactly as they are now. Use any AHQ/WHQ ideas you can incorporate in HQ.

Sjeng wrote:We can use All official monsters (base set + expansions + magazines) and the 2 new factions, Chaos and Dragonkin.
If there is also a want for a few variations, such as goblin archers, I think we can allow for that.

Suggested special monsters:
Goblin archers and spearmen (models available)
Orc elite warriors / black orcs (stick a shield on them)
Skeleton archers (models available)
Fimir Shaman/Hag (regular fimir with spell cards)
Kobold Dragonpriest (spellcaster)
some champions of all species as a quest suggests. Maybe some kind of Dryad/Treespirit or something. Be creative here.

Please only post your Quest notes, Quest map, possible cards and point in the story arc here (just describe at what point roughly you'd like your quest to be).
One quest = 1 page. (map + notes)
You may combine your efforts with another forum member and write 3 or 4 quests with 2 people for example.

Happy writing! |_P
Last edited by Sjeng on August 15th, 2014, 4:47 am, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: updated.
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Ye Olde Inn 25th Quest Pack quests [post here]

Postby TMU » December 8th, 2013, 5:54 am

Let's start with that wich one you want to do, okay? I could go with Q2-Q3. Sjeng would you edit the names to the end of the quests we make? ;)

edit by Sjeng: Sure, but please edit your post when you add your quest. 1 post each here. MrBigB has already called dubs on Q2-3, but feel free to add on. He made 1 map, so we could use a followup.
"There is no greater danger than playing it safe."

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Second Lieutenant
TMU

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Re: 5. HQ25 Ye Olde Inn 25th Quest Pack quests [post here]

Postby Gold Bearer » July 13th, 2014, 6:16 pm

Ogre.png
All the chaos warriors and chaos cultists in this quest are worshippers of Khorne unless stated otherwise.

Khorne Chaos Warrior
Movement: 4. Attack: 3. Defend: 6. Body Points: 4. Mind Points: 3.
Chaos warriors who worship Khorne, the god of war, are fierce warriors and can make two attacks per turn and can make an attack before and after moving.

Ogre Battle Shaman
Movement: 6. Attack: 5. Defend: 5. Body Points: 5. Mind Points: 5.
The ogre battle shaman has the two left over spell sets after the wizard and elf have chosen.

Ogre Warriors 6BP, Champion and Chieftain 8BP, Lord 10BP.

A. Some gold and good weapon, maybe a less good weapon as well.

B. Potions of healing.

C. This trapdoor can only be found if the dwarf searches the room for secret doors. They can drop down from here into the sub level. The players are told that at least one character has to stay in the so the others can get back up. If the room to the left with the ogre and possibly a couple of other monsters hasn't been explored then the ogre can attempt to open the stone door using one more dice than the barbarian uses. Don't tell the players what the roll is for until the door is opened and then lay out the contents of the room. If the room is explored by an adventurer before the door is opened place the ogre on the square next to the stone door.

D. This ogre is an shaman who is being held prisoner. He tells them that there are two powerful magicians who have been sent by Morcar along with the Khorne reinforcements and it was them that ordered him to be locked in chains so the could drain his power. He tells the heroes he will give them more useful information if they free him. If they do he tells them about the trap door if they haven't found it and says that there's a powerful magical talisman down there that the two magicians plan on sending the ogres to retrieve but it's heavily guarded by the dead. If offers to join the heroes if they let him have the amulet and assures them that they can keep anything else they find. If they accept he joins them for this quest and the next one. If they don't retrieve the amulet he won't join them on the next quest. If he dies they can take the amulet. If he survives until the end of the next quest he offers to sell them the amulet for 350gp. They can either accept, decline or offer him 300gp. If they offer 300 he says "400!". He doesn't like to haggle. Then they can either pay 400gp or go without.

E. A decent amount of gold.

F. This ogre chieftain can trigger these two traps. He can attempt to jump the pit of darkness to set off the swinging blade trap at the risk off being hurt by both. {This is in case the players wonder why the ogre isn't moving and chose to not to attack. I'm not sure what the official rule is for monsters setting off traps. I've always played that they could, so if that's right this note won't be needed.}

G. This room contains both a Storm Master and a High Mage. If the room is searched for treasure the heroes find potions, scrolls and gold in a hidden draw of the table.

H. These are Nurgle followers. The zombie is a swamp zombie and the skeleton is a marsh skeleton. The square marked with X contains a Nurgle chaos sorcerer with the Summon Fogwalkers, Summon Marsh Skeletons and Creeping Snare spells. Refer to quest 16 for the nurgle worshipper stats and rules. The rules and stats for the swamp zombie and marsh skeleton can be found on the summoning swamp spell cards.

I. A decent amount of gold.

M. Minotaur.

I can't get the all in one addon to work so it's just the ogres and chaos warriors. No beastmen, thugs or cultists. When I try loading from the menu I get 'Could not find the main class' and when I try using the bat I get 'Cannot create the Java virtual machine'. Wtf? Help.

The illuminati room is for the demon summoning cultists.

I used two ogre thrones because I remember it being a 1x2 tile?

Ogre+.png
A. Any character dropping down from above starts here. Tell the players that the room is extremely dark and there's two torches on the wall marked with Xs that illuminate three squares around them (diagonally counts as 1.5 squares). They can take the torches from the wall and use them either with a one handed weapon or a shield attacking with two combat dice. As soon as one of the torches is removed tell the heroes they here a loud creaking like an old door being opened. You can now use all the zombies from the next room. Make a note of where they are when you've finished moving or if an adventure moves away if a zombie is in an unlit area. This whole sub level is dark.

B. When an adventurer steps into this room tell them that the tomb slowly opens and then place the mummy last. Tell them that this looks like no ordinary mummy. It wears a crown and an amulet on a chain around its neck. If a torch is used as a weapon against the mummy it attacks with five combat dice. The mummy has one of each of the chaos sorcerer tokens. The bookcase has a scroll of some sort and there's a very good amount of gold in the tomb.

Mummy Tomb King
A5 D5 S2 B5 M5

Chaos Amulet
Wizard only, allows the wizard to use one of the three chaos sorcerer spells (Dominate, Mind Blast, Mind Lock) once per quest.

PLEASE DELETE ME!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Gold Bearer on July 24th, 2014, 2:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby StratosVX » July 15th, 2014, 1:05 am

Gold Bearer wrote:Edit: I can't see a way to select and move everything. It would mean putting everything down again so it stay like that for the moment. Is there a way to make the background blank?
Is this what you wanted? If so, here's the HeroScribe XML: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2AFqO ... sp=sharing
Quest5b.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Sjeng on July 15th, 2014, 5:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Thanks for the help! Deleted previous posts.

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Scribe of Heroes
StratosVX
I hate snakes, Jacques...

Scout
Scout

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » July 15th, 2014, 2:28 pm

Quick note to all:

I'm planning on making the entire story arc more clear soon. For now, everyone please post your quests, we'll sort them out later, and then I will copy all the quests into seperate topics where we can discuss them all seperately, and then we can try to mold them into chapters, and tweak them if needed.
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Q19 Alpha

Postby Gold Bearer » July 15th, 2014, 3:58 pm

BattleWizards.png
Top left, khorne/sage (air/lightning bolt). Top right, tzeench/fire mage (fire/fire storm). Bottom left, nurgle/druid (earth/soothe). Bottom right, slannesh/priest (water/restore chaos). Centre, warlock (darkness), seer (detection), alchemist (protection).

A. Make a note of the square where these chaos warriors are killed for a later resurection.

B. This door is firmly bolted closed with four seperate locks and a magical seal. Not even a genie could get through this door.

C. The rooms in this block other than the first one are on a higher level than the rest and pas through rock won't reveal the contents of these rooms from a lower level and each room is higher than the one before.

D. On they alchemists bench they find a potion of illumiation and the chest has some gold. The potion of illumination allows the drinker to see in complete darkness for the duration of the quest. {This is to counter the clak of shadows spell which would otherwise let the chaos sorcerer hide away so the spell can't be broken.}

E. Holy water in the cupboard.

F. The Soul Sword.

G. In this room on the four sqaures marked X are the three remaining battle wizards standing next to the book cases, a Tzeench chaos champion in front of them and a Tzeench chaos sorcerer standing by the table. The choas sorcerer has the Cloud Of Chaos, Command, Mind Freeze, Ice Storm, Mirror Magic and Summon Undead chaos spells. If the chaos sorcerer is killed before any of the battle wizards the spell is broken and the remaining battle wizards are free and imediately join the adventurers. As the chaos sorcerer is dying he resurects the cultists as zombies, the four chaos warriors marked A as wights and if he's been killed, the chaos champion as a wight lord who can be replaced anywhere in the room. Use the chaos warrior models for the wights and the chaos sorcerer model for the wight lord. The wights and wight lord have the same stats as before and have fully restored BPs, the only difference is thatthey're now undead. They get 200gp for each battle wizard that they save, the chests have 100gp each and the book on the sorcerers table is the chaos spell book and if the wizard gets it he can take a random chaos spell straight away.

Chaos Spell Book
Chaos Spell Book: Allows either the wizard or elf to draw one random chaos spell at the start of each quest.

Soul Sword
Attacks with three dice and the target defends with their number of MP.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Count Mohawk » July 21st, 2014, 8:06 pm

Now that people are starting to put together Quests, I think we need to address the issues of Difficulty and Complexity for our Quest Pack.

Difficulty is the easier question to answer: What level of challenge are we going to provide the Heroes from start to finish? People may have varying opinions on the subject, leading to some Quests with Base System difficulty and some Quests with Frozen Horror difficulty. Of course, it goes without saying that the later Quests can be more challenging than the earlier ones.
As for Complexity, I read this in two ways: "How many Quest Notes do we allow each Quest to have?" and "How many monsters, traps, spells, etc. have special rules that need to be noted somewhere in the supplementary rulebook?". My opinion on the matter is that the Quest Notes should never have to spill over onto a second page, full stop. Unfortunately, I don't have a good idea of how many notes per Quest that translates to. I believe the longer official Quests have perhaps 20 lines of text under Mentor's scroll / parchment text.

This is an issue we as a forum should unite on before it becomes a problem. If our fearless leader has a few words of guidance for us, I am all ears.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Marquis of Math
Count Mohawk

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby MrBigB » July 21st, 2014, 8:58 pm

Count Mohawk wrote:My opinion on the matter is that the Quest Notes should never have to spill over onto a second page, full stop.

1000% YES.
"Hey guys, I'm having a really good time."

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
MrBigB

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Count Mohawk » July 21st, 2014, 9:16 pm

MrBigB wrote:
Count Mohawk wrote:My opinion on the matter is that the Quest Notes should never have to spill over onto a second page, full stop.

1000% YES.
To be fair, I sometimes cheat a little by shrinking the text size. 20 lines is quite a lot of room, though.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Marquis of Math
Count Mohawk

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby MrBigB » July 21st, 2014, 9:44 pm

As long as it fits on one page, I have no issue with that ;)
"Hey guys, I'm having a really good time."

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
MrBigB

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:
Usergroups:

Return to HQ25th Quests