• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Question about the altar.

Discuss Halls of Durrag-Dol, published in White Dwarf Magazine #134.

Question about the altar.

Postby Fullork345 » February 20th, 2015, 1:50 am

Is it all the treasure including the ones from the treasure cards? Or only the in quest treasure that you donate? How do you guys play it? What about healing and other potions from the treasure deck?
Fullork345

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Question about the altar.

Postby mako-heart » February 20th, 2015, 2:51 am

Fullork345 wrote:Is it all the treasure including the ones from the treasure cards? Or only the in quest treasure that you donate? How do you guys play it? What about healing and other potions from the treasure deck?
the treasure deck is played in it's entirety, any declared treasure is set aside from the treasure deck and given to the hero who searches for the marked/declared treasure acordingly to the quest notes per zargon only... :2cents:
ALL YOUR WALL SPELL BASES ARE BELONG TO US!!!

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
mako-heart

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Fullork345 » February 20th, 2015, 5:20 am

Ok I worded the question wrong.

Does every bit of treasure found have to get given to the altar to prevent the curse, or is it just the quest treasure but not the treasure cards?
Fullork345

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » June 3rd, 2015, 2:12 pm

The NOTES section reads:
    Any character who takes treasure from Durrag_Dol and has
    not placed it on the Altar of the Living Ancestor and dedicated
    it to the war against Morcar will suffer the Curse of the Dwarven ancestors....
Furthermore, the text from location I. instructs:
    "...Any treasure taken from Durrag-Dol and not dedicated on this altar earns the Curse of the Dwarven Ancestors."
I haven't played this one, but I'd say any treasure taken means all special Quest treasures and all Treasure Card treasures. That includes unused potions. A Hero may keep any treasure gotten previous to this Quest, of course. If the curse takes hold, I'd allow the Heroes to return the cursed treasure after an intervening Quest or two. Being a nice guy, I'd even allow a potion or gold-coin treasure taken out of Durrag-Dol and consumed or spent afterward to be substituted with a like potion or equal amount of coin. A less well-disposed M/Z might require double the amount by the Avenging Ancestors of the Dwarves.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby The Road Warrior » June 3rd, 2015, 5:30 pm

Daedalus wrote: Being a nice guy, I'd even allow a potion or gold-coin treasure taken out of Durrag-Dol and consumed or spent afterward to be substituted with a like potion or equal amount of coin. A less well-disposed M/Z might require double the amount by the Avenging Ancestors of the Dwarves.

You're too kind. If they can't return the exact item then they are cursed forever :twisted:
Join in the community project.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
The Road Warrior

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby cynthialee » June 3rd, 2015, 5:52 pm

The Road Warrior wrote:
Daedalus wrote: Being a nice guy, I'd even allow a potion or gold-coin treasure taken out of Durrag-Dol and consumed or spent afterward to be substituted with a like potion or equal amount of coin. A less well-disposed M/Z might require double the amount by the Avenging Ancestors of the Dwarves.

You're too kind. If they can't return the exact item then they are cursed forever :twisted:

A more powerful sorcerer than the original who cast the curse should be able to remove the curse. Likewise power holy men with strong faith should be able to lift curses. Otherwise you end with heroes that no one wants to play due to some silly curse.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby The Road Warrior » June 3rd, 2015, 6:10 pm

That could actually be the starting concept to an interesting custom quest for the players to embark on somewhere down the line.

A custom artefact that provides +1 defence die could also be another way of nullifying the effects of the curse.

Alternatively the player could just retire the Hero and start fresh with a new one.

Or perhaps the Hero just dies because of the curse and again the player starts over with a new Hero.

For me, the game is at its best when the Heroes are at 3 attack / 4 defence so I'm always looking for ways to debuff the Heroes. This curse is right up my street.
Join in the community project.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
The Road Warrior

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:

Postby dazouza » September 22nd, 2015, 1:03 pm

Muy buen punto de vista!!
dazouza

Exiled
Exiled

Forum Language: Español
Hero:

Postby lucasdp » January 29th, 2016, 6:35 pm

I think, if you follow how it is worded in the notes, then yes, literally all treasure, even that from treasure cards, should be dedicated at the altar. However, this becomes slightly problematic when you look at note H, which states the records of the Durrag Clan are worth 50 Gold Coins if retrieved for the Dwarf League. So, everything in this dungeon except the book is cursed? Or the Dwarf League removes the curse once you give them the book?
I know my players well enough to know that they will most likely dedicate all treasure they find, rather than taking the -1 defense die into future quests. I also know my players well enough to know they will be quite upset if they can't keep any treasure and there is no reward at the end of the quest (beyond the 50 GC for the one hero that retrieves the records). I'm really thinking about simplifying it so that only the magical hammer Sognirstane needs to be dedicated at the altar...

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Destroyed a Zombie!
lucasdp

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » August 29th, 2016, 4:22 pm

Treasure taken from Durrag-Dol isn't necessarily cursed. It is only necessary to first dedicate any treasure on the Alter of the Living Ancestor for the war against Morcar. Then it is safe from the curse and may be taken as normal.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Next

Return to Halls of Durrag-Dol