• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Anyone used KILI THEKKRSSON?

Discuss Halls of Durrag-Dol, published in White Dwarf Magazine #134.

Re: Anyone used KILI THEKKRSSON?

Postby Daedalus » October 1st, 2014, 10:03 pm

I decided to go more with beserker and less with Trollslayer to make things fit, but I understand your feeling about Trollslayers not using a shield, helmet, or armor. The bracers remind me of the manacles and axe combination of Gotrek, so that's cool too.

I'd up the cost of the defensive rune to a lot more than that of a shield because defense is a balancing weakness of Trollslayers, and they don't need to buy expensive armor. I'd also change the attack rune to an artifact--Trollslayers already have a +1 attack bonus when beserk. Purchasing another die of damage puts him above all other Heroes. :2cents:
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby The Road Warrior » October 5th, 2014, 7:21 am

I'm currently playtesting this berserk rule inspired by mikemacdee's post. It's fun but can also be very frustrating.

Going Berserk
The Trollslayer has a new combat ability, going berserk. When going berserk the Trollslayer’s attacks become much more deadly but, at the same time his defence becomes worse.
Every time the Trollslayer attacks, immediately before rolling the combat die they must take one Rage Token. They then modify their attack strength, rolling one additional combat die for each Rage Token they currently hold.
When defending the Trollslayer must modify their defence strength, rolling one less combat die for each Rage Token they currently hold.
The Trollslayer may never hold more rage tokens than their defence score i.e. when their defence reaches zero they do not take any additional Rage Tokens. However they must continue to modify their attack and defence rolls based on the number of Rage Tokens they currently hold.

Calming down again
At the beginning of each of the Trollslayer’s turns, if there are no monsters visible, he may remove one of the Rage Tokens he currently holds.

As this is the system I have in mind I think the defence rune is fairly priced. It would cost the Slayer 250 gold to buy this extra defend die as he needs to first purchase a handaxe to have the rune inscribed onto (NA rules would need a different price as the Slayer would already own a handaxe as his starting weapon). For the same money one of the original heroes could buy a helmet and a shield. Secondly I'm making this the only purchasable defence upgrade open to him whereas a traditional Hero can purchase up to 4 additional defence dice.

For me the attack rune is the one that currently breaks the system. I originally added it to open up a 3 attack die weapon for the Slayer. But when this rune is inscribed on the Battleaxe he has a 5 attack die weapon, and as you can see from the berserk rule I am using above that immediately becomes a 6 attack die weapon as the Slayer must always go berserk when attacking. Too powerful.

I have a few options in mind here but most of them involve binning the runes which I don't really want to do. I like this thematic way of building up the Trollslayer's stats and I also like the fact that he is especially vulnerable to a rust spell as he would lose both his weapon and the runes inscribed upon it.

I've started writing a solo quest pack for my version of the Trollslayer. I'll try and get the first quest written up and posted in the Quest Packs section later on today.
Join in the community project.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
The Road Warrior

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Schmidt » October 5th, 2014, 8:28 am

Needs rewording,but
beserk:
If you draw blood 2 turns in a row you go beserk (+1 ad, -1dd) until there are no more visible monsters
If you take damage you go beserk /\(bit of a bummer if you take damage on the first turn when surrounded by 4 :chaoswarrior: ) just my :2cents:

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Schmidt

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » October 5th, 2014, 11:54 pm

Isn't going berserk a reflection of low mind? I'm with the 8/2 over the 7/3. Starting attack and defense same as barbs.

My berserk rule was simply roll all movement dice and attack dice at once, spend in any order, combination. This would give the troll slayer the ability for some nice kill combos especially with an up graded weapon. No reason to worry about the +1 attack, - 1 defense thing. A Hero charging head first in to it doesn't want to get stuck with 1 Defense die. That mechanic alone brakes the character, you'd play him as a wuss.

If he did start with Mind 3 you could make the going berserk costs 1 MP, simply as the Hero is losing their mind to rage!!! but i'd keep 3/2 attack/defense

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » January 14th, 2021, 10:03 pm

This is what I came up with so far pulling some pieces from everyone:

(A 2 / D 1 / B 8 / M 2) can trade M reduced to 1 for 1 A - a.k.a. losing mind and going beserk, but it stays in affect until M increased to above 1 (either with potion to heal M or recover between quests). Starting weapon is handaxe. Will only use axes and/or bracers. May purchase 1 rune per axe which increase 1 D each, bringing total D to possible 4 if holding 2 handaxes and possible A to 5. May purchase 1 larger rune to fit on the battleaxe increasing 1 A for possible 6 A but only 3 D.

This gives options and forced strategy.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » February 20th, 2021, 12:46 pm

So I’m trying to balance the costs with other Heroes.

I came up with:

200 gc for a defense rune (would possibly purchase 3 - more if decide to throw an axe)
350 gc for a larger attack rune (would purchase 1)

Anyone have input on this? I’m planning to start play-testing this Hero soon and see how it balances.

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » February 20th, 2021, 4:36 pm

So I play-tested the stats, starting and maxed. I ran a normal Dwarf (starting and maxed) through a couple different Solo Quests (both meant for a maxed Hero) as the base stat. Then, I ran the Slayer through them the same way. 1 of the Quests they both kept dying in the exact same spot (Chaos Warrior and Skeleton room) when using starting stats and made it through when maxed. The 2nd Quest, the Slayer made it quite a bit farther while using starting stats than the normal Dwarf (Quest with just Goblins and a Goblin boss fight). Both made it through fine when maxed.

I take these play-tests as confirmed that the new character works and adds a new variety that can be fun if used right. The normal Dwarf played more defensive with rooms containing more monsters while the Slayer rushed in to kill the largest. Since his defense is lower, he needs to play offensive.

Just need to make sure the costs are balanced now. I figured out the normal Dwarf can’t be allowed to purchase the runes or it throws off the balance. It seems out of place that only the Slayer can purchase them, but mechanically it works. Sometimes game mechanics trumps logic.

Rewards:
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Daedalus » February 22nd, 2021, 10:36 am

Even though you seemed to have worked it out, I'll offer some off-the-cuff remarks. Use or refuse them as you see fit.

My preference is to set the Trollslayer's starting back to 2 Defend Dice. It feels very odd to me that the Wizard begins with a better defend value. To nerf his combat power, instead reduce his Defend Dice by 1 when berserking. Also due to his higher attack potential, I'd drop the Bracers. Trollslayers shun armor!

Upping the cost of the defense runes to 300 gold coins also could highlight his defensive vulnerability and differentiate him a bit more. Consider a higher cost for the larger attack rune as well--it grants a huge bonus. At least 500 gold coins in my estimation.

Healing could be another way to end a beserk rage.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » February 22nd, 2021, 1:13 pm

Reminds me of Tyrant's Tomb novel...

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » February 24th, 2021, 9:35 pm

Daedalus wrote:Even though you seemed to have worked it out, I'll offer some off-the-cuff remarks. Use or refuse them as you see fit.

My preference is to set the Trollslayer's starting back to 2 Defend Dice. It feels very odd to me that the Wizard begins with a better defend value. To nerf his combat power, instead reduce his Defend Dice by 1 when berserking. Also due to his higher attack potential, I'd drop the Bracers. Trollslayers shun armor!

Upping the cost of the defense runes to 300 gold coins also could highlight his defensive vulnerability and differentiate him a bit more. Consider a higher cost for the larger attack rune as well--it grants a huge bonus. At least 500 gold coins in my estimation.

Healing could be another way to end a beserk rage.

So this is where I’m at:

You are the Dwarf Slayer. You are a fearless warrior, neglecting defense for a fierce attack. You may choose to go berserk, reducing your Mind and Defend by 1 to gain 1 extra Attack die in combat. You remain berserk until Healed by Potion or Spell.

A Dwarf Slayer shuns all equipment but axes.

A2 D2 B8 M2

I opted for the Bracers as more money sink. I like your idea more of upping the rune prices.

Rewards:
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to Halls of Durrag-Dol