• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Its taken 25 years, but ive finally got one!

Inn Visitors may sign the Guest Book and Registered Guests may introduce themselves. (Visitors are able to sign the Guest Book)

Its taken 25 years, but ive finally got one!

Postby cx40hero » June 21st, 2019, 5:31 am

Hi everyone, my names David and I’m from the Shropshire boarders in the UK.

As the thread suggests, I’m a little bit excited today after finally getting my grubby mitts on a 99.9% complete Heroquest set….. Actually…… there’s a question…. Is it Heroquest HeroQuest or Hero Quest?
Anyhow, I never owned Heroquest back in the day but I spent many hours playing it round my friend Nialls house after school, and he had everything HQ that was released in the UK, a collection I was always envious of!
Well, fast forward 25+ years to yesterday….

After work I had to pop in at the pharmacy on my way home and its next to a Katherine House (charity shop if your not from the UK) so thought Id have a quick look round before venturing home.
I probably hadn’t though about HQ in a decade until I walked in…. an then I saw the box on the shelf, my eyes nearly popped out my head!

My wallet was out of my pocket and the box was at the till before id even looked at the price, I hadn’t even seen how much was missing (I assumed it would be a lot).

As it turned out, it was £2.50, and the only piece that is missing is a single rock tile!
All the minis are there and unbroken, the only issue ill have with the whole set will be removing the inch thick layer of 90’s paint that’s been applied to every figure and furniture piece (its shocking!).

Really looking forward to getting back into HeroQuest after all this time.

David
cx40hero

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Its taken 25 years, but ive finally got one!

Postby Spookyhappyfun » June 21st, 2019, 8:52 am

Lucky! Man, that's awesome. Congratulations!

Also, I refer to it as HeroQuest, but I guess any of them work.

Rewards:
Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Spookyhappyfun

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby defttitan » June 21st, 2019, 8:58 am

Fantastic! That is the best way to find one. I'm glad that it was donated mostly intact.
defttitan

Skeleton
Skeleton

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Postby cx40hero » June 21st, 2019, 9:30 am

Thanks Chap's!
Im really excited to get playing again.
I just need to find some adventures in the area to join in :)
That, and get all this naff paint off the minis!

Im assuming there's no quick fix for that job, hot soapy water an a tooth brush?
cx40hero

Hero:

Postby Pancho » June 21st, 2019, 9:38 am

I Love a happy ending :)

Are you going to paint them? If so, you might be able to paint straight on top. I've picked up some horrific figures over the years and not yet met one that didn't come out fine just by painting over the old job.
Post some pics if you can, the whole bunch together and a few close ups of the worse ones.

Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges.
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby cx40hero » June 21st, 2019, 10:05 am

Definatly going to paint them :)
Im going to pop over to my local comic book shop at the weekend as they also sell Games Worshop stuff. I'll pick up a few basic colours and a wash to get me started :)

I'll try an get some pics up tonight when I get home from work.
cx40hero

Hero:

Postby mitchiemasha » June 21st, 2019, 10:40 am

Awesome find... An unknowingly life long quest finally completed. But, that's only the beginning!

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby KrautScientist » June 21st, 2019, 12:01 pm

Welcome to the forum and what a great discovery! I am slightly envious of the fact that HQ sets still seem to be a fairly regular occurence in thrift stores in the UK -- the prices here on the continent are beyond silly sometimes ;)

Anyway, feel free to share your progress here in the forum! I've found this place to be a great help when painting my own set earlier this year!

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
KrautScientist

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:

Postby lestodante » June 21st, 2019, 4:54 pm

Hello and welcome back to the HeroQuest world!
Seems recently also in Italy someone was able to grab his own box at such a cheap price.
What I am really surprise is about the fact that in 2019 people still use Charity Shops or second market stores to sell their stuff, while they should have a look on the internet and check the prices first.
Lucky people who will buy them!!!
Anyway you can be lucky even twice!! I can offer you double the amount you payd for your set!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
As for the old paint you can usually remove it by using Dettol. It is well known in UK. Just put the miniatures into it and after few hours (or days) wash them and remove the paint with a toothbrush (be carefull on the swords, especially for Barbarian end Elf). It will not damage the plastic at oll. It just stink a bit.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » June 22nd, 2019, 3:29 pm

Yeah... when using Dettol, don't wash them before the toothbrush. Adding water to the Dettol makes the paint go very gloopy. Rinse them with the Dettol, container to container, not water. When I did this I sieved the used dettol through an old T shirt to reuse as the first bath for the next lot. Only when your satisfied you've removed all the paint do you wash them... Don't dilute the Dettol either. It has to be the original kind. I forget what ingredient but there's plenty of info out there. The water washes away the Dettol from doing what it's doing.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Ye Olde Lobby