• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Making Elven Sorceress Spell.

Discuss card making and cards you have made.

Making Elven Sorceress Spell.

Postby Lowery_79 » February 1st, 2019, 7:41 pm

Hello All,

This is my first post, like many others here I am part of oldscratch.smackwell.com (forum). I have asked this question on that forum but no one has answered. So I thought I would post the same question here to see if anyone can help. Like the subject of my post says I'm trying to make Spells for the Elven Sorceress by Kulkmann.
For those who have not seen this hero: http://www.boardgame.de/reviews/heroques.htm

Two of the girls in our gaming party use two of the female heroes that Kulkmann made for Hero Quest, The Elven Sorceress and The Enchantress. I'm wanting to make the Characters Equipment part easier for them by making actual Spell Cards.

On the Elven Sorceress equipment card it says "The Sorceress may cast each of her spells once per Adventure. But she can increase the power of her spells by spending Gold". These statements seem contradicting, Though I like the idea up her being able to use more spells as game play moves along.

How would the leveling up process work (lets use her Heal spell as the example to explain this)?

Under the sentence were it explains what happens when using the Heal spell, there are three boxes. The first box is crossed out so I'm guessing that marks the heal spell she starts the quest with then the other two boxes are empty. Then it says "250 Gold coins per level" next to the boxes.

Does that mean each spell grows in strength somehow or does it mean that she can buy up to two more heal spells to use for the quest? If she simple buys extra spells how would his rule apply to them when he said she can only cast her spells once per Adventure?

If anyone can explain this better or give me a better way to play things that would be great. Now that things have slowed down and we are now into winter here in Mi (USA)
I am hoping to get our group together in a week or so. With help that I'm hoping to get here I hope to have this project down by the time our group plays.

Thank You,

This is what I have done so far on the spell cards:

Last edited by Daedalus on May 21st, 2021, 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: moved topic from General Heroquest Discussion room
Lowery_79

Mummy
Mummy

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Making Elven Sorceress Spell.

Postby clmckay » February 1st, 2019, 9:36 pm

I have never seen that site before, so thanks for sharing.

My take on that particular character is that you mark off each square as you buy into the next level. She starts with each spell at level 1, hence the mark through box 1. Then if you spend 250 gold you check off box 2. At that time the healing spell will heal 4 Body Points, not 2. Each spell says “per level” and you’re buying levels. That does not refer to each quest.

I like your art so far. I’d love to see your completed spells.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
clmckay

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » February 2nd, 2019, 3:22 am

She does not gain any more spells than the ones she start with. And she can indeed only cast each spell once per quest.
Each spell start out at level 1, hence one X.
Each time she pays the amount of gold specified at each spell she can upgrade that particular spell by one level; she gets to add another X. If a spell has two Xs it is level 2. XXX = level 3

Each spell refers to it's level:

A level 3 heal spell heals 2 BP per level = 6 BP!
Level 4 Lightning hits for 8 combat dice!!!
Globe of protection gives you 6 extra defense dice at level 3.

True View is the oddball as it doesn't get stronger per se, but allows you to cast it multiple times based on it's level. At level 4 you can cast it 4 times during a quest.

So yeah... what clmckay said |_P

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Lowery_79 » February 2nd, 2019, 9:50 am

Thank you both very much! Having it explained like that does make it easier to understand. Though the rest of the images used for these spells are from the Hero Quest game it's self.
I will post the finished project soon, thanks again.
Lowery_79

Mummy
Mummy

Hero:

Postby Lowery_79 » February 24th, 2019, 5:43 pm

Hello all I just wanted to update this post now that I have the Rework done on the Elven Sorceress originally done by Kulkmann.
Here is the Hero Card (I just took it in to Photoshop and bumped the resolution)
Here is the Equipment Card for this Hero (it has been reworded based on the replies I got back from when I was questioning how this character would work).
Here are the new spell cards I formed from the characters info. (this should make this character easier to play).
"Heal" (you'll need to print all 3 cards)

"Lightning" (you'll need to print all 4 cards)

"Globe of Protection" (you'll need to print all 3 cards)

"True View" (you'll need to print all 4 cards)

The only other thing I may do for this Hero is make an artifact card for her Elven Longbow (Unless it would be better to make it a treasure card or something).
Lowery_79

Mummy
Mummy

Hero:

Postby Jafazo » February 25th, 2019, 12:31 am

I'm a little late to the party but here's what I think.

Rude Introductory Text
Just an opinion, I don't care for the wording on the Elven Sorceress' card. The obvious, "I'm better than the Wizard." thing isn't a nice thing to say. The heroes are encouraged to cooperate, not start out with, "I'm better than you." ideas. Also, throughout the game it's clear that Mentor selects these heroes himself, I'd stick with the theme or it'll start to seem like some cheap 'Now Hiring' bit.

Suggestion Solution (Something like this...)
"You are the Elven Sorceress, a High Elf emissary of Ulthuan with the ability to cast 4 powerful spells once per quest. Although your spell selection is small, their power is unmatched. In combat, however, you are weak. Therefore, you must cast your spells wisely."

Disliking the total of 11 between Body and Mind
4 Body, 7 Mind. She breaks the 10th barrier, nice, I don't like it. I'm a fan of keeping the heroes at the total of 10 and it's hard to say what a good trade off for an extra body or mind point to exceed that would be.

Suggestion Solution
Give her 5 mind / 5 body or 6 mind / 4 body.

Disliking her playstyle
She seems like an exaggerated glass cannon to me. She can cast one hard hitting overkill spell that deals so much overflow damage it goes to waste most of the time, one hard healing spell only a character with more than 6 body points will ever fully benefit from, one hard defensive spell that'll give her an unnecesary amount of protection most of the time, and one 'who cares about it?' spell. Gonna be honest, she's not at all appealing to me.

Suggestion Solution
I'm guessing the idea is to make her a kind of, "Uses less spells but they pack a whallop" type character. Someone particularly good against the big bad boss. Have to admit, that's not an easy character type given Heroquests tendency for monsters with low body points, but it's doable.

I'd give her access to a 2 combat dice weapon that can be used adjacent or ranged. Normally HQ doesn't allow you to use a ranged weapon in melee combat. Your Elven longbow could fit this role nicely. Limit her to only that weapon and an Elven sword that gives 3 combat dice to attack, melee only, no diagonal. Keep her at 2 defend dice. The sacrifice in defense offsets the improved physical attack power so she becomes useful in smaller combat scenarios without overshadowing the Wizard. With such weak defense, a good idea would be for her to stock up on potions of defense as much as possible and use them anytime she's attacked (potions can be used at anytime).

Don't let her use the Wizards / Elf artifacts. It's bad enough the Elf and Wizard have to share them even though they really only benefit the Wizard. It could also turn into a problem when she stores those hard hitting spells into a Spell Ring or uses a Wand of Magic to drop nuclear bombs into your game. The trade off to her powerful spells is they're limited, keep it that way. She can still use other artifacts like the ring of return. Include text in her card that says she cannot use anything that cannot be used by the Wizard. Wording is key so it doesn't sound unappealing. Maybe something like, "If the Wizard cannot use it, neither can you." The game specifies what the Wizard can't use so you'll be covered in making it clear she can't use Borin's armor, Orc's Bane etc. That'd just be overpowered. As for anything that can be used by the Wizard, she isn't a Wizard so she can't use it. You'd just need to make her custom toys and write, "May only be used by the Elven Sorceress" to isolate them for her alone.

Disliking the Hero vs Hero potential
She can kill other Heroes but they can't kill her. Besides, heroes shouldn't be killing each other.

Suggested Solution
Change Lightning so it doesn't damage everyone in a 2x2 area. Hero vs Hero conflict isn't supported by the game and introducing it could lead to game breaking problems. With this spell the Sorceress can effectively kill any hero she chooses and take their stuff. If you allow heroes to sell things back to merchants in town for some gold it'd be appealing to try and have heroes voluntarily die, she could take all their stuff, they create new characters, she'd return their stuff and sell their starting weapons for extra gold. The Wizard had better behave too. "All monsters in the area." seems like a better choice.

Stricks is a typo and should be Strikes.

I think Globe of Protection may be broken
Globe of Protection is written poorly by saying it lasts until there are no monsters on the board. The useless True View spell would be useful here. At the start of any quest she could cast True View a few times to get a monster placed onto the board. If she can do it, it'll most likely be behind a closed door and monsters don't open closed doors so she'll be running around with 6 + her gear in defend dice at the beginning of a few games until they come upon that viewed room. If Enchantress charms a weak monster repeatedly it could help keep that bonus going longer.

So yeah, that's it at a glance
Unless you specify your version I'm going by the US rules.
Jafazo

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby lestodante » February 26th, 2019, 3:19 pm

I agree with Jafazo: her spells are too much powerful... need a revision in my opinion.
And if you give her a bonus (body 4/ mind 7 = 11) you have to add a malus on something else.
Creating a character that is definetely stronger than others is not cool for me, is just stronger and easier to play with. It is better to keep the same proprotion of bonus/malus but with different skills.
Also, try to find some graphic at higher resolution for the cards.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Return to Cards