• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Hello!

Inn Visitors may sign the Guest Book and Registered Guests may introduce themselves. (Visitors are able to sign the Guest Book)

Hello!

Postby Spookyhappyfun » August 2nd, 2017, 12:26 pm

Hello!

I wanted to take a moment to introduce myself and tell my story.

I, like many of you, was introduced to the greatest board game ever made back back when I was a kid and it first came out. I remember playing it a lot over the years with my brothers and some friends. I later got into Dungeons and Dragons but always kept my favorite game around and still played it here and there. I even had the Return of the Witch Lord expansion, adding even more fun to the game, though I'm not sure if we ever played through those quests or not. Several years later I happened upon Advanced HeroQuest and purchased it, fascinated by the promise of modular tiles, new monsters, and a different and more complex take on the original. At that point, though, I was older and didn't have a group to play with anymore.

Eventually I got older and time got more valuable and I decided that this fifteen year old game gathering dust in my parents' house needed to go. So I gave away all my HeroQuest to a guy I work with, a decision I regretted for years to come.

When I met my wife, she loved games and always wanted to get to me to play board games with her. I'd try some occasionally and find them frustrating. I told her that my one true board game love was gone forever. I would sometimes longingly glance at ebay, see a copy for hundreds of dollars, and sadly close the tab, knowing that I couldn't afford such a thing and shouldn't even if I could.

Finally, about a month ago, she was helping a friend clear out his parents' house and they stumbled upon a copy of HeroQuest in a closet somewhere. Knowing what it was and how much I had talked about it, she asked if she could have it and they said yes. She brought it home to me and I was, at long last, reunited with my one true board game love!

The box top was ripped in a corner and one red movement die was missing, but otherwise, it was complete and beautiful! They had even made copies of the character sheets so to not use up all the pre-printed ones on the pad. It was amazing! I went out and bought a couple rad and yellow d6s from a local gaming store to make up for the missing one, and I was ready to go.

Since then I've run about three games for my wife and friends to get back into the swing of it. Everyone seems to really enjoy the game and I've got more interested parties ready to get in on future quests.

Since then, however, I've been consumed with the the idea of getting more. I've been scouring the internet to look for more quests and tiles and spells and treasures. I've downloaded just about everything needed for all of the Expansion packs plus additional fan-made content. I've purchased some Dragonstrike and Skaven figures for cheap on ebay. Now my goal is to find a printer to get tiles and cards semi-professionally printed and to get the Expansion minis (with maybe some extra furniture cause who doesn't like more set pieces and dungeon decor?). I'll keep working on this as time and money allows and I've gotten several leads from you wonderful people.

But thanks for welcoming me into the community. I look forward to getting to know you all and sharing my love of the best board game ever made!

Rewards:
Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Spookyhappyfun

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Hello!

Postby knightkrawler » August 2nd, 2017, 1:07 pm

That's a great story and an awesome wife you have there.
Welcome on board! |_P
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Spookyhappyfun » August 2nd, 2017, 4:50 pm

knightkrawler wrote:That's a great story and an awesome wife you have there.
Welcome on board! |_P

Thanks!

Rewards:
Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Spookyhappyfun

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby cynthialee » August 2nd, 2017, 6:55 pm

Spiffy!

I make tiles by printing out the 'tile' on printer paper then I use glue stick to put it on the back of a cereal box. Bit of a learning curve and the first ones you make will be crap, but it is worth it to master the skill as they can come out rather nice and very functional. Less glue is better, but too little makes for fail. Just the thinnest film. After it has dried, in a few days, I set them under a stack of books or a piece of wood and leave them for a week. Don't put a wet tile under such a press situation. Glue your tile to a book or the wood. Ruined tile.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Fallensaviour » August 2nd, 2017, 9:00 pm

Welcome aboard,great story very , very familiar to my own except I gave my copy to my brother and then when he got married gave it back to me.....lol

Rewards:
Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie!
Fallensaviour

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Spookyhappyfun » August 3rd, 2017, 11:25 am

cynthialee wrote:I make tiles by printing out the 'tile' on printer paper then I use glue stick to put it on the back of a cereal box. Bit of a learning curve and the first ones you make will be crap, but it is worth it to master the skill as they can come out rather nice and very functional. Less glue is better, but too little makes for fail. Just the thinnest film. After it has dried, in a few days, I set them under a stack of books or a piece of wood and leave them for a week. Don't put a wet tile under such a press situation. Glue your tile to a book or the wood. Ruined tile.

I like that idea. I'll probably give that a try. Thanks for the info!

Rewards:
Spookyhappyfun

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Spookyhappyfun » August 3rd, 2017, 11:35 am

Fallensaviour wrote:Welcome aboard,great story very , very familiar to my own except I gave my copy to my brother and then when he got married gave it back to me.....lol

Lucky!

I gave it to a guy I used to work with. I didn't even like him that much and I'm sure he either got rid of it or sold it for a lot of money. I'm not too bitter, though, just a little bitter.

Rewards:
Spookyhappyfun

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » August 4th, 2017, 12:05 am

Well... you've come to the right place. There's nothing you can't find lurking past the great doors of the Inn. You might want to try the UK search rules but keep US body points on Monsters.

If you're going to start printing, i recommend you get a colour laser, they cost more but you'll save on the print count on the toner/ink. I just bought a HP with duplex. Off set it by 1 via the lil touch screen menu and it prints both sides of a card automatically and perfect. Previously i'd been gluing, which the glue did add an extra stiffness but this is so much easier. Corner cutters are essential too.

Oh and take a look https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzUqo ... FhLaG9hS1U

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » August 6th, 2017, 3:31 am

Welcome to the Inn! Great story. I love how most new people here start with owning the game, losing it somehow, and then finding it again, and decide to look for more, and end up here :P
All who know HQ will eventually end up here as part of their life-long quest!
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Sparkymark » August 6th, 2017, 4:29 pm

Welcome to the inn. I enjoyed reading your Heroquest background and i know your story rings familiar to many of us here.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Sparkymark

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Ye Olde Lobby