• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

.... But who am I?

Inn Visitors may sign the Guest Book and Registered Guests may introduce themselves. (Visitors are able to sign the Guest Book)

.... But who am I?

Postby Anderas » October 5th, 2014, 6:00 am

Hi,
I am Andreas.

I was playing Hero Quest in my youth to the extend... and I want to come back now.

I know that some of you don't like what Gamezones is doing, but nevertheless, for me it provided a good opportunity to come back to this game. So I backed the project, and yes, i am quite confident that they will deliver - maybe not on time, but ok.

Just one simple request from me:
Please don't hate me just because I was backing Gamezones. I am a gamer, Gamezone's Problems are problems of Gamezones and not of me personally, so don't connect my painting/modeling and myself to that company just because I was backing them. If you want to discuss all these Gamezones-specific topics, do it in the related thread and not in my threads. Thank you!

As preparation for my HQ-Comeback, i was downloading all the old Hero Quest rules: YeOldeInn, thank you for providing all the game material and Templates!! That is really great!

I personally think, the original of Hero Quest is a little bit too simple. There are far better versions on line, fan made, and currently i am reading through them, comparing them. Why that? Well, i don't expect Gamezones to provide proper rules.
- Or they stick too far to the old 90's Hero Quest, in that case, it is far to simple and some gameplay issues will be copied, too.
- Or they invent something entirely new because of all the known an long discussed intellectual property rights problems. In that case, it just isn't Hero Quest.

So yes, I want and expect to use GZ minis and the GZ board, with fanmade rules and fanmade Missions (Or a mix of fanmade/GZ missions). Right now i have three promising attempts for HQ Rules made by Fans, but none of which fulfills my highly set gameplay requirements: Fast AND deep gameplay with variations and possibilities, but WITHOUT any table to roll a dice on, as i think look up tables for dice rolls just destroy the fluid gameplay and the feeling.

Next thing, of course, if I use fanmade rules, there has to be a new Monster balancing. If i'd use the original rules, i could always state "but it is written here"; if i use something fanmade, this responsibility is moving over to me. For this, currently i am setting up an Excel that shall calculate all the possible encounters between Heroes and Monsters - that's not an easy task, I can tell you, as there are many possibilities.... But i am confident that, in the end, i will succeed.

And finally, i was backing the Zealot Kickstarter Campagin in order to complement the interior with Gamezone's HQ25 and have a bigger variety. Well, maybe now i already have too much :) :D

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: .... But who am I?

Postby knightkrawler » October 5th, 2014, 7:48 am

Anderas wrote:Please don't hate me just because I was backing Gamezones.[/b] I am a gamer, Gamezone's Problems are problems of Gamezones and not of me personally, so don't connect my painting/modeling and myself to that company just because I was backing them. If you want to discuss all these Gamezones-specific topics, do it in the related thread and not in my threads. Thank you!

As we two have a history of misunderstanding, let me be the first to say: You're welcome here.
This forum is a salad bowl (not a melting pot like other HQ fan forums!) where everyone throws around ideas and we give to and take from each other.
Every last one of us has their preferences and backgrounds. If you backed GameZone, that's just so. You hope they bring on good product and that's it. Nobody here will even make that connection if a topic has nothing to do with GameZone.

I don't like what GameZone is doing, but here's the thing: I wanna see the backers happy and not been ripped off and I wanna see their painted contents and stuff.
I wanna discuss the rules they put up and I wanna take my ideas from them, too.

We derail threads sometimes - look at my signature - but we do not hate where inappropriate.
So, welcome, Andreas! Scan, lurk, print, write, post, paint, even steal ideas. We're happy to see process and pictures and rules and stuff.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » October 5th, 2014, 9:47 am

Don't worry, nobody hates on the players, only on the companies.

The way I see it the original material is just as much examples as they are the actual game.
A huge part of the game is making your own quests. As simple as HQ might seem, it's equally simple to make your own quests as complex as you'd like.
HQ is probably one of the best games for modding.

HQ's flaws are no bigger than all of us (I imagine) played it without much trouble as kids.
In fact I think growing up just made everything worse!

Edit: I'm making that my signature! :lol:

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby crom_atlantian » October 5th, 2014, 2:52 pm

I have played pretty much every dungeon crawler that is made by a large company, and I think heroquest is still the best after all the time, and it is the simplicity of rules that makes it good. It is fast and has a lot of action. more complex rules do not really help the game tell a more complex story. But that is only my opinion as I do think there are a few improvements that could be made to heroquest, but the core mechanics are still very good.
crom_atlantian

Goblin
Goblin

Postby mitchiemasha » October 5th, 2014, 9:02 pm

The beauty of HQ is it's simplicity. It's like it has the least amount of rules possible but still enough to work. That's what's perfect about it. It's perfect to expand on.

I'm currently working on a rule set. Stuff mainly collected from sources online. I'd happy send you a word document of where it is at if you'd be interested in reading it.

Rules included are Initiative, Movement, DM tokens, Push Back, Exchange Squares, Follow Through, Test of Mind, Fumbles, Counter Attacks, Character Creation, Skills and Spell combining. Mainly all is brought in through results you get from rolling what you already rolled in the game, like doubles or the opponents shield. I'm agreed with avoiding tables for result finding limiting to 1 or 2 that can be small reference cards. Other information should be on the artifact or spell card itself.

oh and hello!!!

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby JasonMCM » October 5th, 2014, 9:10 pm

mitchiemasha wrote:I'm currently working on a rule set. Stuff mainly collected from sources online. I'd happy send you a word document of where it is at if you'd be interested in reading it.

Yes, we want to see it all. There are a few of us here who find pleasure in reading others' rule sets.
And by "reading" I mean "stealing, borrowing, using with or without permission, or carbon copying from" :D

And OP welcome to the inn. (I'm secretly hoping that the HQ25th edition does well enough to get sued into a different name, and then Hasbro and GreedWorkshop make us an official re-release. But, as I have a better chance of winning the power ball jackpot, I'll probably wait until HQ25th's release and decide if I really want it then.)

Edit: Fixed at least four typos. :D
Do you PBP? I do. See my exploits below.

Amy the Amazon
Interactive HeroQuest
Sir. Jason the Champion
Trapped in the Dark
Swiftfoot the Elf
The Dark Company
Zargon the Evil Wizard
Core Quests Redone

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie!
JasonMCM

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » October 6th, 2014, 1:00 am

Welcome, Andreas. At least one good has come of Gamezone's HQ aspirations...you're drawn back. Even better, you've joined the Inn and can create the game you want from the variety here. The game is our sandbox--dig in!

I'll echo what others have said about the Gamezone backlash. Comments are centered against the company, not posting Inn members. It has been a while since I've read the threads, but I've posted as a Gamezone backer and got fair discussion in reply.

Perhaps this thread by thequester may be of interest to you, as it delivers a method of guaging monster threat.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Anderas » October 7th, 2014, 2:40 pm

Thanks for the welcome

I was already checking the other thread about calculating Hero Quest - it's pretty cool, gave me some new ideas and fast forwarded my calculation project. Tomorrow evening, the calculation should be done. :D

Now, i just have to find out how to begin.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby TMU » October 13th, 2014, 8:55 am

Welcome to the Inn. I hope that GZ makes you a good copy of the game ;)
"There is no greater danger than playing it safe."

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Second Lieutenant
TMU

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Anderas » October 13th, 2014, 11:39 am

About the "Copy"...

I'm a little bit hoping for "Hero Quest" and a little bit hoping for "Not Hero Quest with Hero Quest compatible Miniatures". On this, i have a different opinion each day. Yes I want Hero Quest, but with Gameplay updates. On the other hand, if they do Gameplay Updates, is it still Hero Quest then?

So, hoping and not at the same time for "Hero Quest".

About the minis, i am quite sure that they produce absolutely good minis, so in worst case i use the material in combination with house rules.

Rewards:
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Ye Olde Lobby