• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

That same ol' tale

Inn Visitors may sign the Guest Book and Registered Guests may introduce themselves. (Visitors are able to sign the Guest Book)

That same ol' tale

Postby Jimwise » August 6th, 2014, 1:16 pm

Greetings fellow adventurers!

I've come home. Or at least I will be soon as hours from now, the USPS will drop off a treasure trove of forgotten relics, a replacement copy of HEROQUEST! Although a few of the minis and dice remained in my collection of RPG related items over the decades, the bulk of my HeroQuest stuff was sold off years and years ago.

That same old tale: In my small home town, at the age of... 17... I spied that copy of HeroQuest at my hobby shop I frequented often, a big fan of D&D since receiving my 1981 Basic Set for my birthday (and the Expert Set the following). I played D&D with whomever would indulge me and as much fun as it was, the real fun was about to be had. "Look at all those minis!" I said to my younger brother. "And furniture! How cool would that stuff be in a D&D game??"

Turns out the rules to this game really sparked something in me, giving the feel of an RPG, but in a more modular and concentrated form. It instantly became my game of choice and I spent months retrofitting D&D ideas and monsters into HeroQuest. It was incredible. Sadly, I grew older and things of "childhood", as they often do, are put away.

Until today. Eager to get my kids into D&D, I tried to get them to try the system I grew up on, but the old game had trouble capturing the imaginations of the iPad generation. My daughter, 10, is eager though, with an appetite for fantasy and a love for the Dungeon board game and Pathfinder Adventure Card Game. My son, 11 going on tween, drags his heels, needing more.

I don't recall what made me remember HeroQuest specifically, but after watching some YouTube videos on the game, both of my kids were eager to try this game with Dad (AKA Zargon). Turns out the toy factor involved is still strong! One trip to eBay later, I'm ready to plunder tombs and slaughter goblins again.

What an amazing world!
Jim(wise)
Jimwise
Sultan of Sandwiches
Sultan of Sandwiches
Jimwise

Goblin
Goblin

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: That same ol' tale

Postby TMU » August 6th, 2014, 1:24 pm

I, at the age of 17 played Heroquest as well. The thing is tho, I am 17 NOW. Feel old yet? ;) Welcome to the Inn and enjoy!
"There is no greater danger than playing it safe."

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Second Lieutenant
TMU

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Sjeng » August 6th, 2014, 2:21 pm

Welcome to the Inn!! Good to see HQ being passed on.

Ah TMU, you really missed the cool decennia. The 80s were awesome for kids.
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » August 6th, 2014, 3:03 pm

The toys...
Oh the humanity!
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby TMU » August 6th, 2014, 4:54 pm

I had toys atleast, now kids got phones :roll:
"There is no greater danger than playing it safe."

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Second Lieutenant
TMU

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Teldurn » August 6th, 2014, 5:23 pm

Sjeng wrote: The 80s were awesome for kids.

Oh, God yes. SO true.
War is not the answer...unless the question is, 'What is not the answer?'

Check out Broadsword, a love letter to 90s dungeon crawling board games.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Destroyed a Zombie!Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Teldurn

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » August 6th, 2014, 5:32 pm

You need to post their experience in the Saturday Night DUNGEON! forum. It will be a moral victory.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » August 6th, 2014, 5:45 pm

TMU wrote:I had toys atleast

No, you didn't, trust me. WE had them all in the '80s.
Even the stuff still existing had their golden age in the '80s, like Lego and Playmobil.
I'm not even touching on action figure stuff. MAAAN...!
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Jimwise » August 6th, 2014, 6:06 pm

Daedalus wrote:You need to post their experience in the Saturday Night DUNGEON! forum. It will be a moral victory.

Oh, it WILL be done!!

It just arrived an hour ago. I'm young again, just looking over the stuff. Even found some house rules included from the previous owner. Sorry, but that Whip idea is broken at 250 gold!

It's amazing, really. I had the base set, the two American expansions, and the Barbarian Quest Pack (seeing the prices for that, it kills me now that I got rid of it!!) then but now, with the internet and this website, I have access to more than I ever did back then. The stuff here just sends my imagination into overload. A glorious time, indeed!

Jim
Jimwise
Sultan of Sandwiches
Sultan of Sandwiches
Jimwise

Goblin
Goblin

Hero:

Postby Teldurn » August 6th, 2014, 10:03 pm

knightkrawler wrote:
TMU wrote:I had toys atleast

No, you didn't, trust me. WE had them all in the '80s.
Even the stuff still existing had their golden age in the '80s, like Lego and Playmobil.
I'm not even touching on action figure stuff. MAAAN...!

One summer, I had transformed my entire bedroom into one, huge battleground for all my GI Joes, M.A.S.K., and some Ninja Turtles, complete with zip lines running from one side of the room to the other. I had all sorts of crazy crossover adventures going on.
War is not the answer...unless the question is, 'What is not the answer?'

Check out Broadsword, a love letter to 90s dungeon crawling board games.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Destroyed a Zombie!Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Teldurn

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Ye Olde Lobby