• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Guest Book

Inn Visitors may sign the Guest Book and Registered Guests may introduce themselves. (Visitors are able to sign the Guest Book)

Re: Guest Book

Postby StratosVX » May 8th, 2021, 10:35 am

Many people use HeroScribe to create their maps. There is a link for it in my signature (not written by me) or you can do a Google search for it. It has icons for everything in HQ ready to go.

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Scribe of Heroes
StratosVX
I hate snakes, Jacques...

Scout
Scout

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Daedalus » May 17th, 2021, 3:57 pm

@Fubar
Congrats on scoring your vintage set and expansions. Be sure to check out the Homepage if you haven't already. More expansions await . . .
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby iKarith » May 18th, 2021, 5:26 am

Fubar wrote:Yo! Fubar here. Fellow Canadian.

Played HeroQuest in my childhood A LOT! it was owned by my cousins and got lost sometime during our lives. Since then, I have been searching for it. Actively checking garage sales and online, scouring the fb marketplace or other used games stores, etc. I finally found it! I got myself the full original game in mint condition with BOTH expansions that are both in perfect shape. Very excited as I have a son who just turned 6, so I think he will soon be of legal questing age! :P

I will be creating my own quests (I did this on graph paper when I was a child) and I am already starting on laying out some google sheets that I turned into a map template and have been just Using letters and referencing other cells for notation and such so it will be nice when I get a bit more promoted here, and can build off what you guys have already done!

Thanks for making this site, I think us HeroQuesters are a rare breed, so I am happy to know I am not alone in the world! I truly believe HeroQuest has the highest replay value in a board game I have ever seen in my life, so I will be a big contributor going forward! CHEERS!

~Fubar

*schoolteacher hat on*

Six is perfectly reasonable questing age. :D Don't baby the rules, but don't complicate things either. Help with reading if and where needed. Help him understand his choices and then let him make them.

*teacher hat off*

There were more than two expansions, but they weren't all released in all places. The EU quest packs included Against the Ogre Horde and Wizards of Morcar, and the NA quest packs had The Frozen Horror and Mage in the Mirror. The NA-exclusive quest packs are somewhat hard to find for a fair price, but you can use the resources here and some Reaper Bones minis to recreate them. We also have the EU-exclusive quest packs' resources and you can do likewise. All of these have been localized to the opposite region, so there really are SIX full quest packs using the stuff found on this site.

Welcome! Hope you found what you did for a good price! Online, you'll pay upwards of $200 for a copy of the game system WITHOUT expansions, in fair shape, if you're patient. You'll also people attempting to sell a destroyed moldy box for … um, more than anybody's going to pay for it.

HQ is a great game where combat is always cinematic and the heroes (and the villains) are always just a few bad dice roles away from annihilation, but always one or two great rolls away from crazy victory. It's great! :D
<InSpectreRetro> All hail Zargon!!! Morcar only has 1BP.

Rewards:
Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!
Web Mage
iKarith

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby AngusMacBaine » May 19th, 2021, 4:37 pm

Greetings! I discovered this website last year after watching "Rush the Wash". I still have my original set from 1991 plus a 2nd set that I found at a flea market that had Return of the Witch Lord minis in it but none of the core minis. I recently purchased a 3rd set that came with The Frozen Horror. I had no idea that there were more than 2 expansions until I came here. Thanks for all your hard work putting all this on here for us to access to complete our games.
AngusMacBaine

Postby Daedalus » May 20th, 2021, 8:18 am

Welcome to the Inn, AngusMacBaine! If you're interested in grabbing some of the localized expansion downloads such as the Wizards of Zargon, keep in mind remastered Quest Books with higher resolution art are available. To access them, you first need to get 14 posts (Champion status) as a new member. Then go to the NA (US or CAN) Homepage, choose the localised expansion page, and hit the related link drathe has set there for the booklet. There a lot to choose from here, so take your time and enjoy your stay!
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby iKarith » May 21st, 2021, 6:34 am

Can't you get a fair amount of that material without an account even, and localized quest books over at Phoenix's page?

I mean, 14 posts and champion status is great for unlocking the full features of the forum anyway, and totally recommended … but I am pretty sure the core asset files for the expansions and quest book remakes weren't gated by that.

It's the rest like the Japanese quests, all the homebrew people have posted, the projects, and other cool stuff that are gated by the champion group.

Also, :redheart: to Rush The Wash, Always Board Never Boring, Battlin' Barrow Gaming, Creamdonut, and of course BardicBroadcasts for great HeroQuest-relevant content. I could throw in a handful of other D&D and wargaming artists, crafters, and and other channels for inspiration and entertainment as well, but they're less directly related to HQ.

Rewards:
Web Mage
iKarith

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Daedalus » May 21st, 2021, 7:54 am

Sure, Phoenix's localized downloads are all excellent, especially for reference from a computer or smartphone. I use them all the time. Champions who download drathe's versions get a ready-to-assemble-from-book format that has higher-resolution cover art. Just showing off some of the Inn's specials.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:

Postby iKarith » May 22nd, 2021, 7:15 pm

Daedalus wrote:Sure, Phoenix's localized downloads are all excellent, especially for reference from a computer or smartphone. I use them all the time. Champions who download drathe's versions get a ready-to-assemble-from-book format that has higher-resolution cover art. Just showing off some of the Inn's specials.

Vector stuff is effectively infinite resolution, but it's hard to turn things like painted artwork into a vector image. Things like the woodcut/line style art of the cards could be pretty effectively traced into vector images, but you'd almost want to go in and find things like e.g. where an X is made of two lines and turn that into a separate / and \. Not out of any necessity, but just to save space in the SVG file.

I'm sort of debating: It would've taken too long to be selective, so I just told wget to ignore robots.txt and sponge the Inn's language pages and the linked files that robots.txt explicitly tells robots like wget NOT to sponge. (Don't do that if you don't know how to use wget to avoid multiple downloads of the same files, folks. Robots.txt exists primarily to make sure you don't do that, and to keep spiders from downloading big files they won't be able to really index anyway.) So I have both the stuff scanned mostly by drathe and the stuff recreated by Phoenix.

…I could put both into my archive of the * of HeroQuest, and it'd make sense to do that. Ideally though, if Phoenix's version is identical to the scanned version in every meaningful way, a small fraction of the size, and infinite resolution because it's a vector file … shouldn't I just prefer that over the scan? The archivist in my says original is best. The developer says if the PDF could allow things like localization into other languages, it really is superior, and if it takes up less space, that makes putting it into e.g. a git archive to be regenerated with whatever language a person wants to use, that would be best.

I dunno how active Phoenix really is anymore, so it may not be possible to get the (probably InDesign) source files used to generate those PDFs. But when it comes down to it, they can be re-remastered by converting each page into SVG, making the text on each page a replaceable element, and creating build scripts to assemble the PDFs in every language we want. Get people to translate the text paragraph by paragraph into the language they want to use, and generate PDFs of every language in the space it would take to store one scanned 300DPI PDF booklet file. That would be superior.

If we've got the InDesign source we can export or import that into an open format and it'd go even faster.

That sounds like a separate endeavor to an archival project, though. Archive here, localize there.

Rewards:
Web Mage
iKarith

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby DiceysDelves » September 22nd, 2021, 12:11 am

Hello - love the resources, decided to stick around.

- Dicey's Delves
DiceysDelves

Postby Daedalus » September 22nd, 2021, 12:43 am

Stick around as long as you like . . . then be sure to return for more. There's always room at the Inn!
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to Ye Olde Lobby