• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

HQ25 Beastman Wild spells poll

Brainstorming topics for the HeroQuest 25th Anniversary Quest Pack.

Which Beastman Wild spells should be included?

What should the spell set be called?
No votes
Beastman Spells
3%
Wild Spells
3%
Beastman Wild Spells
6%
placeholder
No votes
placeholder
No votes
What spells should the set contain? (multiple votes)
No votes
A) Frenzy: One Beastman rolls an extra attack this turn.
9%
B) Shield of Protection: The spellcaster and all Beastmen in the same room roll one extra DD until the beginning of the spellcaster's next turn.
No votes
C) Summon Beastmen: Conjures up a group of Beastmen to surround and protect the spellcaster. Roll one red die: 1, 2, or 3 = 4 Beastmen; 4 or 5 = 5 Beastmen; 6 = 6 Beastmen
13%
D) Survival: Restores up to 3 Body Points to one Beastman, Minotaur, or the spellcaster.
3%
E) Ferocity: All Beastmen in the same room as the spellcaster may reroll any shield results when they attack that turn.
6%
F) Savagery: All Heroes in the same room as the spellcaster fall under Zargon's control for one turn. A Hero rolls red dice = his MPs. If a 6 is rolled, he resists. Zargon can move and attack with an affected Hero as a monster.
3%
G) Howl: On his next turn, any Hero in the same room as the spellcaster hesitates and may not attack or cast a spell. A Hero can resist by rolling red dice = his MPs. If a 6 is rolled, he is unaffected.
13%
H) Bloodlust: If an attack from one Beastman or Minotaur caused at least one Body Point of damage against a Hero, the Beastman may attack again in the same turn.
3%
I) Trample: One monster that has just successfully attacked a Hero may displace that Hero to an adjacent square and move into the space that was occupied by him.
9%
J) Charge: May be cast on one monster on a Hero's turn. That monster may then move and attack before the Hero instead of after.
13%
K) Dominance: One monster rolls one extra AD on its next turn. Conversely, any Hero rolls one less AD to attack that monster until the spellcaster's next turn.
6%
L) Survival Instinct: May be cast during a Hero's turn. Immediately restore up to 2 lost Body Points to any 1 living monster that has just been killed, including the spellcaster.
9%
placeholder
No votes
placeholder
No votes
placeholder
No votes
placeholder
No votes
placeholder
No votes
placeholder
No votes
placeholder
No votes
placeholder
No votes
placeholder
No votes
placeholder
No votes

Total votes : 32

HQ25 Beastman Wild spells poll

Postby Daedalus » June 7th, 2018, 7:24 pm

Discussion links:

The last spell poll is for Beastman Wild spells, which with Kobold Trickster spells were voted next in popularity in the HQ25 spell sets poll. (Chaos Dwarf spells got the fewest votes.) Vote on any number of spells, though it's probably a good idea to choose at least six. Changing votes is allowed. Those entries with the most votes will make the cut for the core set of six spells, though others will be represented as alternates.

Feel free to make comments--you may help others to decide. New spells may also be suggested in this thread to be included in the poll. If you're not sure of the description in an entry, follow the matching-lettered discussion link above in this post for a fuller explanation at the original post.

The Swamp spell poll, Cultist spell poll, and Kobold Trickster spell poll remain open for voting.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: HQ25 Beastman Wild spells poll

Postby Daedalus » July 27th, 2018, 8:13 pm

Since Survival is merely a re-skinning of the Chaos spell Soothe, I worked up an alternate healing spell for the poll (choice L):

Survival Instinct This spell may be cast during a Hero's turn. It immediately restores up to 2 lost Body Points to any one living monster that has just been killed, including the spellcaster.

In addition to other changes, I figured it would be a good idea to allow the spell to also work as a general Chaos Spell Card. So the spell affects any monster except undead.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » July 28th, 2018, 10:11 pm

Daedalus wrote:Since Survival is merely a re-skinning of the Chaos spell Soothe, I worked up an alternate healing spell for the poll (choice L):

Survival Instinct This spell may be cast during a Hero's turn. It immediately restores up to 2 lost Body Points to any one living monster that has just been killed, including the spellcaster.

In addition to other changes, I figured it would be a good idea to allow the spell to also work as a general Chaos Spell Card. So the spell affects any monster except undead.

May want to re-word it. "Any one living monster that has just been killed" contradicts itself.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » July 29th, 2018, 4:34 am

j_dean80 wrote:
Daedalus wrote:Since Survival is merely a re-skinning of the Chaos spell Soothe, I worked up an alternate healing spell for the poll (choice L):

May want to re-word it. "Any one living monster that has just been killed" contradicts itself.

"Any one non-undead monster that has just been killed", but only if "living" won't be used in the additional quest pack rules as a keyword for the same.
Better yet:"any one monster with a Mind score of 1 or higher that has just been killed"
Less complicated, but thematically more questionable, the whole limitation about non-undead could be left out.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » August 1st, 2018, 6:29 pm

j_dean80 wrote:May want to re-word it. "Any one living monster that has just been killed" contradicts itself.

Yeah, I wasn't sure if that would go over as it isn't a keyword from the published game. How about this?

Survival Instinct This spell may be cast during a Hero's turn. It immediately restores up to 2 lost Body Points to any one monster that has just been killed, including the spellcaster. Does not affect undead.

knightkrawler has a point about dropping the undead part altogether for simplicity. As a Beastman Wild spell, I don't see this spell cast on anything but a Beastman or Minotaur anyway. As a potential Chaos spell, I'd prefer the undead excluded in a clause, like the NA Sleep spell.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:

Postby j_dean80 » August 2nd, 2018, 9:20 am

That works as written but if I remember correct the original HQ lingo uses "defeated" instead of "killed".

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » August 2nd, 2018, 10:54 am

Are you thinking of the EU Rules of Play? It describes Heroes as being both "defeated" and "eliminated." I didn't find anything specifically referencing monsters. Do you perhaps remember a published spell precedent?

In the NA Instruction Booklet under What Makes HeroQuest Unique, "defeat" is used more generically: ". . .The Heroes work together to defeat Zargon and his forces of Chaos. . . ." However, the description under How a Hero Attacks more specifically states: ". . . If the monster’s Body Points reach zero, the monster is considered dead . . ."

If "killed" sounds wrong, it could be worded ". . . a monster that has just had it's Body Points reduced to zero, . . ." I prefer "killed" for succinct brevity, however.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:

Postby j_dean80 » August 2nd, 2018, 11:12 am

I don't have any specifics near me as I'm currently halfway across the country right now.

Rewards:
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Anderas » October 10th, 2018, 5:49 am

I just voted, though I think we are overdoing it here. We have no beast shaman anywhere right now in the quest pack.

The options that those spells offer are a nice gameplay addition. Do they add enough to go through the entire discussion for game cards or is it sufficient to have a phrase or two in the quest book where they appear?

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » November 10th, 2018, 9:30 am

Since we want to focus on Swamp and Trickster spells first, this set can wait. The idea it's to implement them as an optional set for Chaos spells.

A Beastman Shaman casting Chaos spells could be written in a Quest (I hope, at least Goblin-King had also wanted one), or a Beastman Shaman casting Beastman spells could be substituted for a Chaos Sorcerer or Beastman Chieftain/Champion (the option would be mentioned in the Quest Notes.) I see Beastman Spells kept in a folder with a Beastman Shaman card, ready to use if desired.

We could even offer the set as a single printed sheet without art. This would save both effort to create and print cost. Developed Spell Cards would be nice, but not necessary for a one-off use.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:

Return to HQ25th Brainstorming