• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

HQ25 Swamp spells poll

Brainstorming topics for the HeroQuest 25th Anniversary Quest Pack.

Which Swamp/Fimir spells should be included?

Poll ended at Tuesday October 17th, 2017 6:48pm

What should the spell set be called?
No votes
Fimir Spells
1%
Swamp Spells
6%
Marsh Spells
No votes
Bog Magic
2%
What spells should the set contain? (multiple votes)
No votes
Swamp spells created by anyone
No votes
Swamp spells created by Inn members only
3%
A) Acid Rain: All Heroes lose 1 piece of equipment unless roll a white shield on one die.
3%
B) Slime: No movement unless caster killed or roll a black shield on one die.
4%
C) Slough: One Hero is caught in a Slough Trap. (Lose turn and roll dice = BP. Lose 1 BP if black shield, escape if white shield. Discard one earth or water spell to end spell.)
2%
D) Cloud of Flies: All figures in the room or corridor attack and defend with one less die. Does not affect undead or swamp monsters.
3%
E) Rot/Putrification: Attacks one Hero with 1-3 dice, defend with dice = current MP. Doesn't affect undead or swamp monsters.
3%
F) Insect Swarm: Attacks one Hero with 3 combat dice which is defended with two dice. Doesn't affect undead or swamp monsters.
5%
G) Disease: One Hero rolls a combat die immediately and on future turns. A black shield causes 1 BP of damage, but a white shield ends the spell.
2%
H) Fever: One Hero defends with one less die. On his turns, he rolls one combat die. The spell ends if he rolls a white shield.
1%
I) Bog Plague: One Hero can't attack or defend. Roll one red die for each MP on future turns. Spell ends if a black shield is rolled.
2%
J) Noxious Spores: One Hero reroll any successful combat dice within that room or corridor.
3%
K) Will 'O Whisp: Any one monster including the caster may roll 2 extra dice when defending. The spell ends when 1 BP is suffered.
2%
L) Summon Swamp Beast: Place a Swamp Beast (use Basilisk, Mv:4 At:4 De:6 BP:4 MP:4) in line of sight of the caster which may move and attack immediately.
6%
M) Summon Swamp Zombies: Place 3 Zombies that have 3 BP each within LoS of the caster. They may move and attack immediately.
2%
N) Toxic Cloud: Place the Toxic Cloud tile within LoS of the caster. Any Hero or monster (not undead or swamp monsters) in the cloud at the start of their turn rolls a combat die. A victim misses his turn if anything but a white shield is rolled, while 1 BP is additionally lost if a black shield is rolled. The spell ends when the caster is killed.
4%
O) Pestilence: Any one Hero in LoS attacks and defends with one less die. The victim rolls a red die at the start of his turns. The spell ends if he rolls under his current MP.
3%
P) Creeping Snare: Cast on any one square or Hero in LoS. That Hero or any Hero that ends his turn on the square may not move. He also attacks and defends with one less die. The vines have 4 BP but don't defend. Undead and Fimir aren't affected.
4%
Q) Acid Spray: Acid envelops one Hero in LoS. The victim immediately rolls a combat die. 1 BP of damage is inflicted if anything but a white shield is rolled, though any chain or plate mail is discarded if a black shield is rolled. Does not affect artifacts.
2%
R) Summon Marsh Skeletons: Place 5 Skeletons (Mv:4 At:2 De:2 BP:2 MP:0, diagonal attack) within LoS. They may move and attack immediately.
2%
S) Swamp Summons: A group of undead surrounds the caster. Swamp Skeletons and Swamp Zombies have 1 extra BP. Roll one red die. 1 or 2 = 3 Skeletons; 3 or 4 = 2 Skeletons, 1 Zombie; 5 or 6 = 3 Skeletons, 2 Zombies
2%
T) Tangling Vines: One Hero may not move and rolls 1 less die to defend. The victim rolls one red die for each of his BP on future turns. If a 6 is rolled, the spell ends. The spell may also be ended by an adjacent Hero forfeiting his action.
6%
U) Marsh Mists: One monster may move unseen through spaces that are occupied by Heroes the next time it moves.
5%
V) Summon Kobolds: Conjure a group of Kobolds to surround the caster. Roll one red die: 1, 2, or 3 = 3 Kobolds; 4 or 5 = 4 Kobolds; 6 = 5 Kobolds
2%
W) Torpor: One Hero rolls 2 fewer dice to both attack and defend, as well as 1 less die to move. Broken immediately or on a future turn by the Hero rolling one red die for each of his MP. If a 5 or 6 is rolled, the spell ends.
3%
X) Summon Tentacled Beast: Place the 4x4 Tentacled Beast tile within LoS. It attacks all adjacent Heroes with 3 dice, defends with 3 dice, moves 3, and has 5 BP and 2 MP.
2%
Y) Snake Swarm: Place 2 adjacent 1x1 Snake Swarm tiles in LoS. The swarm attacks any number of adjacent Heroes with 2 dice, defends with 3 dice, and has 4 BP.
3%
Z) Purple Haze: One Hero must reroll any successful combat dice. The spell is broken immediately or on a future turn by rolling one red die for each MP. If a 6 is rolled, the spell ends.
No votes
DD) Cloud of Flies--alternate: Heroes in any room or corridor roll one less die when attacking or defending until the spellcaster's next turn.
3%
JJ) Noxious Spores--alternate: Until the caster's next turn, whenever a Hero attacks or defends, he must re-roll all combat dice once and take the worse of the two rolls.
3%
LL) Summon Basilisk--Swamp Beast alternate: Place a Basilisk on any square adjacent to the spellcaster. The Basilisk may move and attack at once.
1%
GG) Disease--alternate: One Hero rolls a combat die immediately and on future turns. A skull causes 1 BP of damage. A white shield ends the spell, as does any healing.
3%
placeholder
No votes

Total votes : 98

Re: HQ25 Swamp spells poll

Postby Anderas » Monday November 12th, 2018 6:35am

Wow that image was so low resolution, I had to repaint it. I am not an artist, so it probably took me way longer than a real artist would have needed.

If there is no more failure in the wording, I guess we're there...

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Daedalus » Tuesday November 20th, 2018 2:45pm

Seeing the so Swamp spells together is very gratifying. The Tangling Vines image turned out great! I hope you or another Inn member can find the time to fine-tune the layout. The wording all looks correct.

What do you think about Goblin-King's swamp image for the back of EU cards? I imagine you approve. Seeing how you're already involved in so much of the project, I guess one spell back for both the EU and NA systems is enough.

The Chaos spell back is the precedent for the NA game, however. Later on, it would be ideal to add a Fimir icon to the text side (bottom right?) to distinguish this set from other Chaos spells. Then the Chaos spell back could be used for Swamp spells, as well.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » Tuesday November 20th, 2018 3:15pm

The layout is available in the correct size, in US and EU. This is just a preview.

Yes, I like the spell back of Goblin King a lot.
I don't like to put an additional symbol on the front, that would be quite some effort: Manual instead of automatic.
I can add two backsides to the pdf variant, like that anybody can choose his backside when printing.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » Saturday November 24th, 2018 1:13pm

Okay, I look forward to seeing the finished format. I hope everything fits into ten lines or less, otherwise some words may need to be trimmed. I'd say section splits within the text of a card hurt the overall look in the mock ups, especially when ten lines overall is exceeded. I also hope the final cards start text about half a line space below each picture.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » Friday December 7th, 2018 7:51am

Here's a couple more Gary Chalk images from Talisman 1st Ed. Maybe one or both are worth considering.

Beyond looking awesome, this one matches the text even better.
Venomous Bite

I'm not sure if the next one will look better in monochrome, but it is unique.
Marsh Mist
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:

Postby Anderas » Friday December 7th, 2018 10:24am

Ah, no no no please do not suggest to re-open the work on finished stuff. We should let it stay finished if it is finished.
We do not get closer to the finish line if we re-open finished work; and, little reminder, very soon my time budget is finished too.

Let's rather focus to iron out some spelling problems if there are still some, then to get the last few quests done and then start to make the Quest Book Layout.
The artifacts have some GW pictures among them, there I am ready to work on it still.

Rewards:
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Previous

Return to HQ25th Brainstorming