• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

HQ25 monster stats and abilities #2 the Beastman

Brainstorming topics for the HeroQuest 25th Anniversary Quest Pack.

Which Beastman would you like to see in the Inn's HQ25 Quest Pack?

a) Mv:8 At:2 De:2(2) BP:1 MP:1
No votes
b) Mv:6 At:3 De:3 BP:2 MP:2
No votes
c) Mv:5 At:4 De:5 BP:2 MP:2
No votes
d) Mv:8 At:4 De:2 BP:3 MP:2
No votes
e) Mv:7 At:2+2 De:2 BP:2 MP:2
No votes
f) Mv:7 At:2+2 De:3 BP:2 MP:2
No votes
g) Mv:6 At:3 De:2 BP:2 MP:2
8%
h) Mv:7 At:3 De:3 BP:2 MP:2
No votes
i) Mv:7 At:3 De:2 BP:2 MP:2 winner--4 votes
31%
j) Mv:7 At:4 De:2 BP:2 MP:2
No votes
k) Mv:8 At:4 De:2 BP:4 MP:2
8%
A) Ability: short bow
No votes
D) Ability: none (already unique enough as statted)
No votes
E) Ability: may attack twice or once with 4 AD
No votes
F) Ability: 2 attacks with both defendable or one 4 AD attack
No votes
G) Ability: +1 AD if no move (heavy attack)
8%
H) Ability: immediate counter-attack when BP are reduced to 1, (use 3 AD)
15%
I) Ability: immediate counter-attack when BP are reduced to 1, use 2 AD
31%
J) Ability: immediate counter-attack when BP are reduced to 1, skulls from defend roll count as hits
No votes
K) Ability: +1 AD for every adjacent Beastman
No votes

Total votes : 13

Postby Daedalus » September 30th, 2015, 6:30 pm

Discussion links:

1. Choose your monsters for the 25th Quest Pack
2. Which monster factions do we want in HQ25?
3. HQ25 - Choose your monsters + stats
HQ25 - The great TO-DO list
  • Beastman

It's time for Inn members to vote in the second of 6 polls dealing with the six chosen monsters for the HQ25 Quest Pack. Each monster's stats and abilities is to be dealt with its own separate poll. If you're not sure of an entry's description, follow the matching discussion link for a fuller explanation at the original post. You may change your vote.

The Kobold poll helped nail down the stats, but the ability/abilities are still open for voting (choices P-R). Feel free to vote up to 2 times there to identify how you think the Kobolds should use the gang-up ability and weapons.

As with the Kobold topic, feel free to express your views and ideas. Entries can always be added, and the ability may need further voting.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: HQ25 monster stats and abilities #2 the Beastman

Postby Count Mohawk » October 1st, 2015, 9:20 am

After some waffling back and forth, I voted for option H in the poll. While we have yet to vote on them, the Minotaur is likely to end up with an ability to attack multiple Heroes at once, so we don't need the Beastman to do the same. On the other hand, since the two types of monster are related, having them both have similar abilities would then add to that connection.

Also, I prefer the Beastman with less Defense than Attack rather than having the two stats equal. Otherwise they're basically improved Fimir.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Marquis of Math
Count Mohawk

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » October 1st, 2015, 12:19 pm

I voted H as well. To me it just seems so incredible flavorful to have the beastman react like... well a wounded beast.
Either you kill him or you only wound him and he goes ballistic on his attacker.

In the future Daedalus, how about making it a multi vote poll?
Have the different stats as the say four first options WITHOUT any abilities.
Then have the different abilities as the next couple of options WITHOUT stats..
Then people put in two votes. One for stats and one for ability.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » October 1st, 2015, 3:30 pm

I would vote H, but for me it is imperative* that AD/DD is either 3/2 or 4/2. I could live with 4/3 as well if it is to be argued that the Kobold already has 2 DD and the Beastman should have a different stat.
That is why I second GK's suggestion for a modular poll.
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Count Mohawk » October 1st, 2015, 4:05 pm

For Beastman stats, I'm mostly ambivalent as to whether they should be 3/2 or 4/2, but I prefer either to 4/3, which seems to me to be too strong for this sort of monster. If this is a 2 BP monster, I would be more likely to vote for 4/2 than if it was a 3 BP monster.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Marquis of Math
Count Mohawk

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » October 1st, 2015, 4:30 pm

Count Mohawk wrote:For Beastman stats, I'm mostly ambivalent as to whether they should be 3/2 or 4/2, but I prefer either to 4/3, which seems to me to be too strong for this sort of monster. If this is a 2 BP monster, I would be more likely to vote for 4/2 than if it was a 3 BP monster.

I sign that assessment.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Daedalus » October 1st, 2015, 4:59 pm

Goblin-King wrote:In the future Daedalus, how about making it a multi vote poll?
Have the different stats as the say four first options WITHOUT any abilities.
Then have the different abilities as the next couple of options WITHOUT stats..
Then people put in two votes. One for stats and one for ability.

Weighing in the comments, this sounds like a good idea. In fact, I've restructured this poll for two votes, which you may change. RECOUNT! Sorry for the PITA effect, but I think the polls will work best as an evolving tool. Vote once for stats, and once for an ability. Both upper and lower-case letters in the poll are still keyed to their respective discussion links.

Note that i) is the same as h) but has 2 DD, not 3. I was swayed and switched my vote to the lower defense value, as I figure a shield can always be added in the Quest Notes.

by the way, don't forget to vote for the Kobold's ability (choices P-R) so we can finish that monster out.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby cynthialee » October 1st, 2015, 9:05 pm

I chose e,E
Gor's should be bad ass.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Goblin-King » October 2nd, 2015, 2:32 am

Count Mohawk wrote:If this is a 2 BP monster, I would be more likely to vote for 4/2 than if it was a 3 BP monster.

This is actually what I was going for, but it wasn't an option.

Regard this post as a vote for At: 4, De: 2, Bp 2 - Counter attacks if wounded but not killed.

I like the counter attack to go along with 2 PB. A At4 counter attack is pretty powerful. It shouldn't trigger too often methinks.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby cynthialee » October 2nd, 2015, 11:46 am

Now I never played Warhammer and I only know the Gors from reading up on them when I got my hands on some miniatures of them. They looked pretty awesome so I incorporated them into my games.
From what I have read about them I think maybe these options are not tough enough. Gor are used as heavy shock troops. This to me says they should have sick attack, and marginal defend. I don't know the Warhammer system, so the numbers made no sense to me, but the spirit of the beast is easily enough to convey. These guys are hard hitters. The way they work is they don't often need to defend as they kill before the enemy has a chance to respond.
Some like to use shock troops as a softener against larger enemy positions, or to weaken enemy morale; but in my opinion which is often not so humble, this type of unit is best reserved for small engagements to take a marginally defended enemy position and hold it for a short time. Or to pacify an enemy population of civilians with a show of gruesome force. When they show up it is a slaughterfest.

Rethinking it:
Move: 8
Attack: 4 +1 per adjacent allied Gor. (yes this is sick and properly so I posit)
Defend: 2 (Champion: 3)
Body: 4 (Shaman: 3) (Champion: 5)
Mind: 2 (Shaman: 5) (Champion: 3)
Give the Shaman the Ork Shaman Spells and where it says Ork, insert Beastman.
Max occurring in a HQ Dungeon setting should probably be 1-5 soldiers. The need for balance must be preserved. And beastmen like to be out in the open anyways. Not many would be cool with living in a dungeon.

No bonus to the Champions attack as it is sick already and a champion will probably have soldiers with him.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Next