• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

HQ25 monster stats and abilities #1 the Kobold

Brainstorming topics for the HeroQuest 25th Anniversary Quest Pack.

Which Kobold would you like to see in the Inn's HQ25 Quest Pack?

a) Mv:9 At:1(1) De:2 BP:1 MP:1, ranged attack, combine attack with other Kobolds
No votes
b) Mv:7 At:1(2?) De:2 BP:1 MP:2, maybe spears, combine attacks into a single attack
No votes
c) Mv:10 At:1(1) De:2 BP:1 MP:2, combine attacks into a single attack
No votes
d) Mv:9 At:1(1) De:2 BP:1 MP:2, range-6 throwing weapons
No votes
e) Mv:10 At:1(1) De:2 BP:1 MP:1, sling, diagonal attack, gang-up
No votes
f) Mv:10 At:2 De:1 BP:1 MP:1, ambush or gang up +1 AD for each Kobold that already attacked a target
No votes
g) Mv:11 At:1 De:2 BP:1 MP:2, sling (on black shield +1At/+1De)
No votes
h) Mv:9 At:1 De:1 BP:1 MP:1, diagonal attacks and gang up with any monster
No votes
i) Mv:9 At:1 De:2 BP:1 MP:2, Hero defends once against all skirmish attacks
No votes
j) Mv:8 At:1 De:1 BP:1 MP:1, gang up for a single attack
No votes
k) Mv:10 At:1(1) De:2 BP:1 MP:1, gang up for each Kobold attack
No votes
l) Mv:8 At:1 De:2 BP:1 MP:1, gang up +1 AD for each Kobold that already attacked a target
No votes
m) Mv:10 At:2 De:1 BP:1 MP:2, ambush attack may combine or split all attacks
No votes
n) Mv:8 At:1(2) De:3 BP:2 MP:3, sticky bomb- 2 AD damage and immobilization
No votes
o) Mv:9 At:1 De:2 BP:1 MP:1, +1 AD when attacking for each other Kobold adjacent to that Hero. WINNER, 6+ votes
38%
P) Ability choice: gang-up from 4 adjacent squares winner, 4 votes
50%
Q) Ability choice: gang-up from 4 adjacent squares and 4 diagonal squares (spears)
No votes
R) Ability choice: +1AD for each Kobold that is adjacent to and has already attacked that Hero that turn
13%

Total votes : 8

Re: HQ25 monster stats and abilities #1 the Kobold

Postby cynthialee » March 12th, 2017, 9:29 pm

I like the dragon scale storyline. Fits in well with some of the Lore I have for my dungeons. Dracomen (half dragon, half men) are created by a powerful spell that sacrifices the lives of a number of men and dragons to produce eggs that hatch into dracomen that are in complete thrall of the wizard that created the monsters. Perhaps this relic is a way to create an even more powerful version of this monster...or perhaps a key to destroying the dracomen that terrorize the local they live in?
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Big Bene » March 13th, 2017, 5:40 am

Daedalus wrote:If others are also interested, the next step would be to work on the spells. Does anyone else feel it is worth adding an extra six cards (WoM spell set size)?

Well, obviousely, I would find it worthwile.

I'm fully aware the spells are probably unbalanced, I wrote them down as they came out of the back of my head. I can think of ways to better balance them, if you tell me the concerns. You have more experience than me in this kind of thing, and I have no opportunities for playtesting at the moment.

Daedalus wrote:I wouldn't want to undo the consensus

Uhm, if memory serves me right, there wasn't a "winner" when I brought in my 2c, so there was no "consensus" on one of the "warrior" type variants.
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » March 15th, 2017, 2:56 pm

We've been kicking this project around for quite a while, so no wonder you missed the news. I think I got the idea of a consensus from here. Also, This post has the winning Kobold stats, which were tagged in the poll as the winning choice. It only has 1 MP, which isn't good enough for a Kobold with spells. That's why I prefer a trickster Kobold or two as a named monster. Maybe it can be a returning thorn in the players' side, but sometimes helpful.

You are right about the ability, though--this part of the poll was never closed. One of the spells could be featured as an ability, as with the Ice Gremlin. Personally, I like your bag of tricks version more as a mischievous, malevolent challenge. As a spell caster, your Kobold best resembles the Frozen Horror, Vanestra, or one of the Wizards of Morcar. They are all unique monsters, so a tricky Kobold should be styled the same, in my opinion. The six monsters of this Quest pack are meant to be generic, reusable, and possibly modifiable. I like the favored mob combatants for this.

My ideas about your spells are in the 5. HQ25 - Spells, tiles, mechanics and misc topic.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Anderas » August 11th, 2018, 9:05 am

I am currently on the search for good pictures. I was a little bit surprised how many different depictions of Kobolds there are in fantasy.

Are we talking about this kind of Kobold?

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » August 11th, 2018, 10:01 am

That is a very spcific type of kobold-like folklore creature, the Irish leprechaun.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » August 13th, 2018, 7:07 pm

People are going to use the miniatures they want for standard Kobolds, but D&D influence is likely to play a role. That means the most likely Kobold figures will either look somewhat dog-like or more reptillian.

When I think of the Kobold Trickster Spell Card back, I feel it's okay to diverge a bit from the appearance of the Kobold rank and file. Here's a Gary Chalk image that might work with some work on the background and centering, with maybe some coloring:

Matching a figure without a scratch-build is unlikely, but most will probably use whatever they feel like anyway. [A Quest should probably call for a Kobold figure (or the Chaos Sorcerer) to represent him, as per the design document. -edit]
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » August 15th, 2018, 7:14 pm

Back to the basic Kobold monster. There are two semi-official instances of a Hero Quest small monster. One is an incidental Snotling found in the back of the EU Kellar's Keep . The other is from the HeroQuest Marvel Winter Special, standing behind Morcar's cape.

Of these two, I'd pick the MWS gremlins look over the KK goblin mini-me for style direction.

Some Kobold image links I think have potential for a Monster Card:
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:

Postby j_dean80 » August 15th, 2018, 10:02 pm

I know nothing about what a kobold is but I like that hairy guy.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Anderas » August 15th, 2018, 10:52 pm

I think I will start to colorize that Gary chalk artwork up there. First it is Gary Chalk, second, when I work sufficiently on it, we can claim enough distance to be more or less safe from copyright stuff.
Only thing is, maybe not this week as I am currently full time in the hospital.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » August 26th, 2018, 2:53 am

Daedalus wrote:I went ahead and added ability options--and lost the prior poll results! No matter, choice "o" was the clear winner with 6 votes. First runner up was choice "a" with 3 votes. There was a three-way tie for second runner up with 1 vote each for choices "e", "h", and "l."

Assuming Sjeng and Goblin-King see no need for further modification (as per the design document), the Kobold stats will be Mv:9 At:1 De:2 BP:1 MP:1.

You may now vote for [up to 2 choices 1 choice -edit] for the Kobold ability/abilities (choices P,Q,and R.) Then we'll have the Kobold ready for ability wording and ratification. When the Kobold is near completion, I plan to start a new monster poll topic and we can go at it again.

Time to call the Kobold ability. The original, lost poll result:
    a) ranged attack, combine attack with other Kobolds . . . . . . 3 votes
    e) sling, diagonal attack, gang-up . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1 vote
    h) diagonal attacks and gang up with any monster . . . . . . . . 1 vote
    l) gang up +1 AD for each Kobold that already attacked
    a target . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1 vote
    o) +1 AD when attacking for each other Kobold adjacent
    to that Hero. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 6+ votes
The succeeding, clarifying poll result:
    P) gang-up from 4 adjacent squares . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .4 votes
    Q) gang-up from 4 adjacent squares and 4 diagonal
    squares (spears) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0 votes
    R) +1AD for each Kobold that is adjacent to and has already attacked that Hero that turn . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1 vote
Both polls agree. Kobold will use a gang up ability. Here is the final Kobold choice that will be used for our project:

Kobold
    Mv:9 At:1 De:2 BP:1 MP:1, +1 AD for each other Kobold adjacent to that Hero.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to HQ25th Brainstorming