• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

HQ25 monster stats and abilities #1 the Kobold

Brainstorming topics for the HeroQuest 25th Anniversary Quest Pack.

Which Kobold would you like to see in the Inn's HQ25 Quest Pack?

a) Mv:9 At:1(1) De:2 BP:1 MP:1, ranged attack, combine attack with other Kobolds
No votes
b) Mv:7 At:1(2?) De:2 BP:1 MP:2, maybe spears, combine attacks into a single attack
No votes
c) Mv:10 At:1(1) De:2 BP:1 MP:2, combine attacks into a single attack
No votes
d) Mv:9 At:1(1) De:2 BP:1 MP:2, range-6 throwing weapons
No votes
e) Mv:10 At:1(1) De:2 BP:1 MP:1, sling, diagonal attack, gang-up
No votes
f) Mv:10 At:2 De:1 BP:1 MP:1, ambush or gang up +1 AD for each Kobold that already attacked a target
No votes
g) Mv:11 At:1 De:2 BP:1 MP:2, sling (on black shield +1At/+1De)
No votes
h) Mv:9 At:1 De:1 BP:1 MP:1, diagonal attacks and gang up with any monster
No votes
i) Mv:9 At:1 De:2 BP:1 MP:2, Hero defends once against all skirmish attacks
No votes
j) Mv:8 At:1 De:1 BP:1 MP:1, gang up for a single attack
No votes
k) Mv:10 At:1(1) De:2 BP:1 MP:1, gang up for each Kobold attack
No votes
l) Mv:8 At:1 De:2 BP:1 MP:1, gang up +1 AD for each Kobold that already attacked a target
No votes
m) Mv:10 At:2 De:1 BP:1 MP:2, ambush attack may combine or split all attacks
No votes
n) Mv:8 At:1(2) De:3 BP:2 MP:3, sticky bomb- 2 AD damage and immobilization
No votes
o) Mv:9 At:1 De:2 BP:1 MP:1, +1 AD when attacking for each other Kobold adjacent to that Hero. WINNER, 6+ votes
38%
P) Ability choice: gang-up from 4 adjacent squares winner, 4 votes
50%
Q) Ability choice: gang-up from 4 adjacent squares and 4 diagonal squares (spears)
No votes
R) Ability choice: +1AD for each Kobold that is adjacent to and has already attacked that Hero that turn
13%

Total votes : 8

HQ25 monster stats and abilities #1 the Kobold

Postby Daedalus » August 26th, 2015, 4:44 pm

Discussion links:

1. Choose your monsters for the 25th Quest Pack
3. HQ25 - Choose your monsters + stats
HQ25 - The great TO-DO list (scroll down)

In the hopes of reviving some interest in our community project, I'd like to invite Inn members to vote in the first of 6 polls dealing with the six chosen monsters for the HQ25 Quest Pack. Each monster's stats and abilities will be dealt with its own separate poll. If you're not sure of an entry's description, follow the matching link for a fuller explanation at the original post.

Though a good deal hasn't yet been fully agreed upon, many good decisions have already been made that I expect at least some of these polls will verify. Still, second looks might provide new and useful insights for some of the monsters. Later polls will deal with monsters that were less fully realized. Perhaps discussions will bear out new, useful stat and ability choices that may be added in after a poll has begun (not sure.) The goal is to provide contributors and editors with enough information in an organized location for finalization and reference. (Editors may still alter a monster for inclusion.) From there, I hope the monsters can be called ready for Quest writing.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: HQ25 monster stats and abilities #1 the Kobold

Postby knightkrawler » August 27th, 2015, 12:43 pm

Just keep in mind that the monsters should all be very different from each other and as different from existing ones as possible.
Goes without saying, actually.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » August 27th, 2015, 1:00 pm

My :2cents: :

I don't like kobolds having 10 movement. That's the only thing goblins have going for them. Don't take that away from them...
And 9 just seems weird to me.

My favorite ability is diagonal attacks and +1 AD for each kobold adjacent to the hero.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » August 27th, 2015, 1:18 pm

I voted for a). They should be very versatile. 1 AD is not much, but combined with their quick feet they can perpetually poke the heroes with rocks from their slings.
And 9 as Movement aren't any more weird than the NA Chaos Warrior's 7.
2 DD are vital.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Anderas » August 27th, 2015, 3:48 pm

I think you have to do a run off with the best three or four - there's just too much choice!

My picture of a cobold is a guy who appears, does something, laughts and disappears. That can be difficult if they team up: You look in one direction and get attacked from another direction. So i voted for f),

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » August 28th, 2015, 12:28 am

Anderas wrote:I think you have to do a run off with the best three or four - there's just too much choice!

My picture of a cobold is a guy who appears, does something, laughts and disappears. That can be difficult if they team up: You look in one direction and get attacked from another direction. So i voted for f),

That's not the kobold we decided on. We chose the Kobold roughly as described by D&D, a small Lizardman kind of thing, poking with sticks and shooting rocks.
I can live with option o), the current leader of the pack, but I strongly insist on ranged attacks.

Rewards:
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby EvilWizardCharacter » August 28th, 2015, 5:26 am

Agree w/ knightcrawler; they should be able to perform ranged attacks, but without the attack bump they would get in melee combat.

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
EvilWizardCharacter

Orc
Orc

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » August 28th, 2015, 6:49 am

You're right. I'd also prefer just one special rule and ranged attacks are more important.
I'd use the attack bonus on Rats for my own quest packs who also have 1 AD.

Rewards:
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Daedalus » August 30th, 2015, 1:47 pm

Anderas wrote:I think you have to do a run off with the best three or four - there's just too much choice!

Glad to see you're in with ideas. I agree there are a lot of choices. I wanted everybody's suggestions to have an equal chance. I just enabled the ability to change your vote so that members can can add their weight to more popular choices, thus making a switched vote count toward a more likely choice. Not exactly a run-off, but much of the same effect is possible with the benefit of allowing this thread's disscussion to affect a member's vote.

My :2cents: :
Like Goblin-King, I'm for seperating a Kobold's movement sufficiently to leave fast movement for Goblins.

I'd like the Kobold's ability to be focused on gang-up. Their role need be no more than delaying fodder that needs to be prioritized due to strength in numbers. Other options based on weapons work as power bumps to this already effective core mechanic. This may actually limit how often or how many Kobolds will be chosen for Quests, which works contrary to their original purpose, in my opinion. Therefore, I'd say save extra abilities for the Quest notes where a room full of Kobolds with special weapon attacks can provide a cool highlight.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Count Mohawk » August 30th, 2015, 3:53 pm

Here's my analysis of what people have said and voted on regarding the Kobold's stats and abilities:
  • Eleven votes have been submitted so far. Of these, everyone who voted chosen an option in which the Kobold has 1 Body Point, 1 Mind Point, and some sort of "gang-up" bonus for attacking in mobs.
  • Pretty much all of the options selected have the Kobold's defense at 2.There are a couple where it has just 1 defense die, but those are the minority. Now, most of the options on offer are for 2-Def Kobolds, so a case could be made that a 1-Def Kobold is under-represented, but I think they work better as 2-defense figures anyway.
  • There doesn't seem to be anyone arguing for the Kobold to have more than 9 movement, while a couple have argued against it.
The above qualities of the Kobold appear to be roughly in consensus across the active members of the HQ25 author community. Ergo, unless someone raises an OBJECTION!, all we need to do is decide what form the Kobold's gang-up attack should take and whether or not the Kobold should have ranged attack options in its base form. I'm personally ambivalent on whether they need slings or whatever to do their job effectively, bu lean towards "no" because, if I recall correctly, Skaven exist and already embody the archetype of "fast-moving sling-user".

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Marquis of Math
Count Mohawk

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Next

Return to HQ25th Brainstorming