• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

0. HQ25 - Design Document

Brainstorming topics for the HeroQuest 25th Anniversary Quest Pack.

0. HQ25 - Design Document

Postby Sjeng » July 25th, 2014, 8:52 am

HeroQuest25 design document
I'm posting this to avoid unclarity about this community effort.

INTRODUCTION AND INTENT
HQ25 is an expansion pack celebrating the 25th anniversary of HeroQuest by trying to be what COULD have been an official expansion
As such it is using the game system as a base and is basically independent of any other expansion in existence.
In effect meaning: You can play HQ25 using only the material supplied with the game system and HQ25.
The exception being the miniatures which must be acquired via third party.

In addition HQ25 is striving to be a fresh experience for both new and veteran players.
As such we should try and and keep all materials original and not just implement old materials.

Finally HQ25 should keep the simplicity of the original game system.
Other game systems exist for those who desire more fleshed out and detailed rules.
We are not trying to improve upon nor turn HQ into a different game.
We are simply making a quest pack that "could have been".

GAMES WORKSHOP AND INTELLCTUAL PROPERTIES
While HeroQuest is a dead franchise only kept alive by fans, Games Workshop is very much an active company.
As such HQ25 will not include any references to anything Games Workshop/Warhammer related besides what already exists in the official HeroQuest material.
This includes but is not limited to: names, places and races.
The exception is generic terms like "Beastmen" and "Chaos Dwarf", while being found in the Warhammer world, aren't exclusive to it.

MONSTERS
HQ25 is using the monsters from the original game system, but not any of the expansions. (The exception being unique models such as the Wizards of Morcar or Sinestra. They are not a race, but unique characters whose models might be used.)
In addition to the monsters from the game system HQ introduces a new range of monsters:
----------
Chaos Dwarfs
Beastmen
Minotaurs
Chaos Cultists
Kobolds
Basilisks

These monsters will have stats and abilities like any other monster.
There will NOT be any stats for boss/caster/special monsters. These will be put in the quest notes as needed.
Eg. A kobold sorcerer with higher stats and 3 spells - Orcs armed with crossbows - A beastman boss etc.

The original quests had several special monsters like the "Stone Chaos Warriors" from "The Lost Wizard".
Proxying the range of monsters like this is acceptable, but should be reserved for a single quest.
"Stone chaos warriors" should not be a recurring monster as that would turn it into a new addition to the range.

While the original game system DID use a chaos warlock as Sir Ragnar, proxy monsters in HQ25 should resemble what they are.
Eg. Don't use a Kobold as a Skaven.

It is strongly encouraged to focus on using the new monsters!

In general: Be mindful. It should always be clear what the normal/basic monsters are.
***If every monster is special, no monster is special!***

EQUIPMENT
HQ25 uses all equipment from the game system. This includes the wizard exclusive items from the EU version.

In addition there will be an expanded armory with a couple of new pieces of equipment.
This will be a few select items "that was always missing" in the original armory. In the area of 2-4 new items (in addition to the wizard items).

A page in the beginning of the quest book will be dedicated to the expanded armory in the style of the potion shop from other expansions.
This page will just display the new items, not the entire armory which the players should already be familiar with.

***HQ25 will re-introduce the potion shop with a range of new potions tailored to this pack*** These may also be discussed and edited.

SPELLS
HQ25 uses the four elemental decks and chaos deck from the game system.
In addition HQ25 introduces a new deck for the Evil Wizard.
This deck is the "Swamp Spell" and is intended to be used mainly by Kobold and Fimirs.

"Swamp Spell" should not exceed the original 12 Chaos Spells in scale.
The deck should only match the amount to the degree that they can all feel distinct in their effects.

"Swamp Spell" may be used by other monsters as well, but should mainly by used by Kobolds and Fimirs.
Chaos Dwarfs should focus on using "Chaos Spell" to keep the flavor of the two factions unique.

QUESTS
To accommodate the 25th anniversary there will be 25 quests.
The quests will be separated into several chapters. Currently 5 chapters, but subject to change.
Each chapter is a mostly self-contained arc, though each chapter should bridge into the next.
The end result should be a coherent story.

A unique twist to this quest pack will be that the heroes can only use the armory between chapters.
It's the "light version" of the rule from "Attack of the Ogre Horde".
To facilitate this each quest will be marked with both chapter, quest number and quest name.
Eg: Quest 9 - Chapter 2 - The Dark Castle

Each quest should be fun and feel distinct.
It is encouraged to put little twists and unique features in every quest.
However, keep it simple. If it can't be explained in a few lines it's probably too complex.

Remember we have 25 quests to fill! Be mindful in regard to quest notes and quest sizes!
Don't fill the entire board and put in 15 quest notes in every quest!
If there's not enough room on a normal quest page for quest notes without re-sizing or compromising readability there are too many!
If a quest is starting to fill up, save some ideas for the next quest (or kill your darlings).

Be mindful of using stuff like special traps or doors from expansions! HQ25 should be playable with only the games system.
Even though they may not require any physical materials, their usage will still have to be explained in either the quest notes or the start of the book.

Finally HQ25 will be intended to play with 4 fresh heroes as an alternative to the original Quest Book.
The first quest they will have their starter equipment and 0 gold.
This should be reflected in the difficulty level.
With 25 quests HQ25 is equal to the game system + KK/RotWL.
This is more or less the difficulty level we are aiming for.
HQ25 should be challenging, but is not intended as a "Nightmare mode" for veteran players.

STORY
The intro/epilogue and "Mentors messages" should be written in during the production phase.
At the very least loosely for the editors to be able to piece everything together in the end.

Note that story elements may be subject to change during production.
But a well written piece will likely need very little edit.

LAYOUT AND ART
The aim is to make HQ25 resemble the existing expansions in regard to overall "look".
HQ25 will be using graphic and the general layout from the game system.
This includes but is not limited to: maps, fonts, cardbacks, icons.

All new materials like covers, cards and misc illustrations will be original art made specifically for HQ25.
Partly to protect the rights of other artists, but also to make HQ25 stand out.

MISC
All quest packs introduces new elements and so will HQ25.
These are the elements that will be explained in the beginning of the book.
Eg. new traps, special doors or other game mechanics.

We should have a couple of well thought out new mechanics.
To warrant these they should be used throughout the entire pack, not just in a single quest.
(Single quest mechanics should simply be in the quest notes)

Again: HQ25 strives for the simplicity of the original game system! This section should be short and limited.
Basically HQ25 should be "plug and play". The player shouldn't need to read through several pages before actually playing.

EDITORIAL
In the end phase, a few editors will be responsible for putting everything together.
The editors will be in supreme command and be free to change, move or delete anything!
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: 0. HQ25 - Design Document

Postby Gold Bearer » July 25th, 2014, 9:24 am

So we've got to take out the chaos gods and the ogres then, after I got the all clear to use ogres who were in it from the start? Oh and we're not allowed to use the WoM hero spells that I wrote into the wizards special artefact that people seemed to like?
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby TMU » July 25th, 2014, 1:52 pm

Gold Bearer wrote:So we've got to take out the chaos gods and the ogres then, after I got the all clear to use ogres who were in it from the start? Oh and we're not allowed to use the WoM hero spells that I wrote into the wizards special artefact that people seemed to like?

If that is what the document states, then yes.
"There is no greater danger than playing it safe."

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Second Lieutenant
TMU

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » July 25th, 2014, 2:02 pm

It doesn't, that's why I used :?:s. Hopefully the ogres are included as official monsters since they've always been in and I've already been told that I can use them, and have been working with them heavily.

The WoM hero spells were for the wizard artefact, not available from the start. It wasn't a problem before so I'm hoping it isn't now.

This would only be an issue if were planning on making any money from. If we were GW would be on us like a flash knowing them, but we're not, so where's the problem?
This was never a issue until KK realised he could use it.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby TMU » July 25th, 2014, 3:07 pm

Check the GW part and monster part. It reads there ;) About the artefact I don't say anything.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Second Lieutenant
TMU

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Gold Bearer » July 25th, 2014, 4:34 pm

No it doesn't! There's a list of new monsters but ogres aren't new and I checked by pointing out that they've been in from the start and were never removed and got the all clear to use them.

Any official content from any of the packs is allowed (with the exception of monsters) and I had the idea of using the hero WoM spells on the special wizard artefact and I thought that was the plan.

Using GW names isn't a problem because we're not making anything out of this. Look: http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=2491&p=42147#p42147

It's free advertising for them. We should just put it in the quest book that it belongs to them. If skavin were voted in as one of the official monsters do you think that anyone would be saying we shouldn't be using them? Of course not. They're GW too. This is just another attempt to attack what I've made sneakily through the back door. I think it's because I've put quite a few ideas into this and people don't like one person having so much input. I'm sure that if those same ideas had come from elsewhere there wouldn't be any problem.

It's ridiculous to be honest and I'm getting really sick of it. I didn't want it to go like this. I don't want to waste energy by struggling with every little thing. I was really enjoying creating content for this project but it's being ruined by a couple of people and that's a big shame.

Rewards:
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby TMU » July 25th, 2014, 5:19 pm

Sjeng wrote: GAMES WORKSHOP AND INTELLCTUAL PROPERTIES
While HeroQuest is a dead franchise only kept alive by fans, Games Workshop is very much an active company.
As such HQ25 will not include any references to anything Games Workshop/Warhammer related besides what already exists in the official HeroQuest material.
This includes but is not limited to: names, places and races.
The exception is generic terms like "Beastmen" and "Chaos Dwarf", while being found in the Warhammer world, aren't exclusive to it.

Sjeng wrote: MONSTERS
HQ25 is using the monsters from the original game system, but not any of the expansions. (The exception being unique models such as the Wizards of Morcar or Sinestra. They are not a race, but unique characters whose models might be used.)

It reads right there. :?

Rewards:
Second Lieutenant
TMU

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby knightkrawler » July 25th, 2014, 5:50 pm

Gold Bearer wrote:If skavin were voted in as one of the official monsters do you think that anyone would be saying we shouldn't be using them? Of course not. They're GW too.

We would have called them
Ratmen
Vermyn
Vermin
Vermen
Deepchylde
Brood
The Breed
Nagor
Sskreek

The "not using names established by GW" is not just about intellectual property, but also about the lack of creativity it would show to borrow a combination of a miniature and name for it. The word "Skaven" is a neologism by GW, coined by GW in meaning. As opposed to that, "Chaos Dwarf" is a collocation of two words with allocated lexical meanings, as is Beastman (only contracted in spelling). There's a world of difference between those two.
I see no problem in actally incorporating the four chaos gods in the background, but calling them Khorne, Nurgle, Tzeentch, and Slaanesh would in my humble opinion be trespassing too obviously. It clearly shows we're deriving from other peoples' ideas, which of course we do, but it doesn't have to be so obvious, does it?
The chaos gods could be termed The Bloodless One, The Filthbearer, The Unforgiving, and The Faceless One, for example, if we feel the need to take that background into account deeper than anticipated.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Gold Bearer » July 25th, 2014, 7:35 pm

TMU wrote:

You're right! I missed that. It must be a oversight then because:
Sjeng wrote:As for the ogres: well, as long as it's the standard ogres from the AtOH pack, I'm all for them ;)
Did some searching and I can't seem to find any post where we opted against them completely, so go ahead, but make sure they FIT within the whole theme of the story arc.
And there's no way I'm losing my ogre NPC. That is not going to happen.

knightkrawler wrote:The "not using names established by GW" is not just about intellectual property, but also about the lack of creativity it would show to borrow a combination of a miniature and name for it. The word "Skaven" is a neologism by GW, coined by GW in meaning. As opposed to that, "Chaos Dwarf" is a collocation of two words with allocated lexical meanings, as is Beastman (only contracted in spelling). There's a world of difference between those two.
I see no problem in actally incorporating the four chaos gods in the background, but calling them Khorne, Nurgle, Tzeentch, and Slaanesh would in my humble opinion be trespassing too obviously. It clearly shows we're deriving from other peoples' ideas, which of course we do, but it doesn't have to be so obvious, does it?
The chaos gods could be termed The Bloodless One, The Filthbearer, The Unforgiving, and The Faceless One, for example, if we feel the need to take that background into account deeper than anticipated.
If I'm using something that belongs to someone else I'm always up front about it and give them the credit they deserve rather than being devious and crafty about it by trying to hide it where it's from. That would definitely (and rightfully) get their backs up if they find out about it.

And would be exremely surprised if we were calling them anything other than skavin.

Rewards:
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby TMU » July 25th, 2014, 7:58 pm

Gold Bearer wrote:
TMU wrote:

You're right! I missed that. It must be a oversight then because:
Sjeng wrote:As for the ogres: well, as long as it's the standard ogres from the AtOH pack, I'm all for them ;)
Did some searching and I can't seem to find any post where we opted against them completely, so go ahead, but make sure they FIT within the whole theme of the story arc.
And there's no way I'm losing my ogre NPC. That is not going to happen.

But you see, that now we did find that where it says it is not good to use them. I am not the only one deciding on this so I won't put a definit no-no on that, but still I think we will stick to these rules posted here. :p

Rewards:
Second Lieutenant
TMU

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Next

Return to HQ25th Brainstorming