• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

0. HQ25 - Design Document

Brainstorming topics for the HeroQuest 25th Anniversary Quest Pack.

Re: 0. HQ25 - Design Document

Postby Sjeng » July 29th, 2014, 1:44 pm

Gold Bearer wrote:
Sjeng wrote: MONSTERS
HQ25 is using the monsters from the original game system, but not any of the expansions. (The exception being unique models such as the Wizards of Morcar or Sinestra. They are not a race, but unique characters whose models might be used.)
You're right! I missed that. It must be a oversight then because:
Sjeng wrote:As for the ogres: well, as long as it's the standard ogres from the AtOH pack, I'm all for them ;)
Did some searching and I can't seem to find any post where we opted against them completely, so go ahead, but make sure they FIT within the whole theme of the story arc.
And there's no way I'm losing my ogre NPC. That is not going to happen.

Yeah, sorry about that. I did say I thought we had agreed on Ogres being out. I only had little time to search, and didn't find any clear statements on it. And truthfully, I personally wouldn't mind a single ogre here or there. I do know we voted out the "faction" of ogres (all sorts of them), but I didn't recall that meant the AtOH types as well.

I just got back from a holiday in Paris, so I just didn't have time to spend on this. I will try to do so during my vacation.

I have 4 pages of unread posts to plow through, so I asked other members to help guide the project. Since GK was helping me right at the start already, and TMU and KK were in early as well, we all drafted a guideline, which was reviewed and I posted it just before I went on my holiday. I also pm'd GB about this, trying to explain it all, and that we would post a general guideline to avoid misunderstandings. So even though before I was unclear on the ogres, I did inform you of this guideline before I posted it.

That being said: should we allow a single ogre here and there? Just as 1 special monster? Since it's in the game already anyway, I personally would not mind, as log as we agree on the stats. Just 1 type, like a warrior. No warlords/chieftains/champions. Just asking.
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby knightkrawler » July 29th, 2014, 1:58 pm

I'm against going for them as a monster type because:
1. Minotaurs are agreed upon, yet might be underused, and have VERY similar stats to Ogres. Let's not botch the bulls.
2. Ogres are too awesome to play a minor role. Their spotlight should be AtOH or a whole new quest pack.

I'm for using ONE Ogre as an NPC at a point in the quest pack where Minotaurs preferredly haven't been introduced. He could be a mercenary for the Kobolds or a slave of the Chaos Dwarfs (I see minotaurs better fitting here, too)
or *hint, hint* a boss for the Greenskin arc, leading an Orc & Goblin pack or whatchamacallit.
That ONE Ogre could - although defeated in combat - recur in two or three quests.
A character spotlight that is sorely missing in AtOH, not necessary for HQ25, but also not redundant in my eyes. Would be a nice touch to the greenskin arc. Tough leader with a specific objective, race and skin color variation, you know.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby TMU » July 29th, 2014, 4:15 pm

I would say no for the ogre, since that would mean that it would be another miniature for someone to buy. But I am not against it or anything :)
"There is no greater danger than playing it safe."

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Second Lieutenant
TMU

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » July 29th, 2014, 4:24 pm

A lot of things were never really 100% agreed upon in the name of moving to the next phase...

Definitely a no from me for using ogres as general monsters. We have the minotaur. It was decided upon. Let's use it. It doesn't need it's spotlight stolen.

I would vote no as well for a "special character"-ogre.
For me that would be like buying Kellars Keep, and then out of nowhere it tells you "oh yeah, you need an model from another expansion as well".
There is no such thing as "a single ogre here and there". Either they are out or they are in. There really isn't no middle ground in regard to acquiring models and presenting stats etc.
In the early phase when we discussed how to handle monsters, it was pretty clearly decided it should be game-system + new pack.
I can't help but feel that popping in an ogre feels out of place. Why an ogre? Why only an ogre? It really sticks out.

Any needs for adding an ogre; can't they be handled by using models from the decided pack?
A recurring villain? A freaking evil cunning Beastman!
A hired mercenary? A chaos warrior with boosted stats!
Chaos Dwarf slave? A chained up Minotaur!

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » July 29th, 2014, 4:29 pm

Goblin-King wrote:Any needs for adding an ogre; can't they be handled by using models from the decided pack?

Well, I can see that. It's more in theme, and the minotaur is indeed in many ways similar to an ogre in bulkiness/strength.

Thanks for thinking of alternatives, I think these fit well, and I hope all can agree on that. So I'd like to ask everyone to go with that and move on :)
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » July 29th, 2014, 5:11 pm

|_P

Actually I rather fancy a recurring beastman villain. Just popping up 2 or 3 times and then finally slain during the Siege arc.
He needs to be really strong/annoying to make the players REALLY hate him! The "NOT HIM AGAIN"-factor.
Does he cast the Escape spell? Any good ideas how to make him actually survive?

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby MrBigB » July 29th, 2014, 5:50 pm

Goblin-King wrote:Any needs for adding an ogre; can't they be handled by using models from the decided pack?

This feels 100% in the spirit of the original game (Chaos Sorcerer = Ragnar) LOVE IT.

Goblin-King wrote:|_P

Actually I rather fancy a recurring beastman villain. Just popping up 2 or 3 times and then finally slain during the Siege arc.
He needs to be really strong/annoying to make the players REALLY hate him! The "NOT HIM AGAIN"-factor.
Does he cast the Escape spell? Any good ideas how to make him actually survive?

A-W-E-S-O-M-E. I could put him in Q3 as the Hero's try to escape out of the dungeon :) a quick quest note about casting escape when he gets down to 1 BP (or gets a killing blow) seems easy enough, plus after after a couple rounds ending like that players will thrilled to actually kill him on the end :D

Maybe each time he pops up he gets buffed up a little? Keep it challenging ;)
"Hey guys, I'm having a really good time."

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
MrBigB

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:

Postby TMU » July 29th, 2014, 6:06 pm

Goblin-King wrote:|Does he cast the Escape spell? Any good ideas how to make him actually survive?

Escape, or maybe just a secret door that closes or a stone collapses to it. Just so that heroes can't follow him. I guess anything goes that blocks heroes from following :P
"There is no greater danger than playing it safe."

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Second Lieutenant
TMU

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Count Mohawk » July 29th, 2014, 11:24 pm

Alternatively, you can give him a few minions to draw some of the Heroes' fire, or put a pit trap in front of him. And all you need to do for an Escape-fueled... escape, is have him cast it immediately upon taking damage.

By the way, are you guys channeling my ideas without telling me? Because my own Quest Pack also prominently features a recurring enemy, among other things. |_P

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Marquis of Math
Count Mohawk

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » July 30th, 2014, 10:01 am

@ Goblin-king:
Making an Ogre special character is not about race, but about character.
If we have special characters with stats given in the notes and special abilities like spells, you'd need a different mini to represent it all the same, regardless if it's a different monster or the same as elsewhere in the quest. It's just fluff.

But I fully agree that the monsters we agreed upon should be represented by NPCs, too.
A Beastman Shaman and Warlord, a Chaos Dwarf Super-Engineer, a Kobold Dragonpriest, a Fimir Hag...
Those guys.
Making some of those recur through the arcs would help tie the arcs all together and imply an overall theme to the whole quest pack, rather underhandedly at first, then becoming more clear, which we set out to do.

So, reconsidering my previous post, I say no to all Ogredom altogether in this quest pack.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to HQ25th Brainstorming