• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

HQ25 Petrify Spell Card

Brainstorming topics for the HeroQuest 25th Anniversary Quest Pack.

Re: HQ25 Petrify Spell Card

Postby MrBigB » July 18th, 2014, 9:07 pm

GimmeYerGold wrote:
TMU wrote:That's a basilisk?? Why does it have feet? :P

Eight in fact!

Gold Bearer wrote:So is a basilisk like what Medusa was depicted as in clash of the titans? Even though I thought she was supposed to be a gorgon. :?

There's a lot of ways to interpret mythological creatures, (seeing how they're totally made up things) but generally any creature called a "basilisk" is a non-humanoid reptilian beast creature, with the ability to turn creatures it looks at into stone. If the HQ25 Basilisk has eight legs or zero legs doesn't matter much to me, since it's meant to fit into the "Dragonkin" category it can be pretty loose on whether it's more serpent-like or more lizard-like.

I think I remember someone favoring the "beast-like" interpretation of the basilisk (number of legs aside) because it would be a nice addition to the only other beast-like monster, the giant wolf. So that's where my vote goes if it comes to it. |_P

I was lobbying pretty hard for a "beast" creature to round out the dragonkin faction, but someone else tossed out the idea for the basilisk I think. I also recall someone pitching the idea of the basalisk's petrify ability being a ranged attact that the Hero's use MP to defend against. Failed defense = petrified. I loved that idea. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Daedalus on January 28th, 2015, 6:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tag
"Hey guys, I'm having a really good time."

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
MrBigB

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby gootchute » July 19th, 2014, 1:07 am

MrBigB wrote:I was lobbying pretty hard for a "beast" creature to round out the dragonkin faction, but someone else tossed out the idea for the basilisk I think. I also recall someone pitching the idea of the basalisk's petrify ability being a ranged attact that the Hero's use MP to defend against. Failed defense = petrified. I loved that idea. :mrgreen:

I also was keen on this way of handling the Basilisk Gaze. I will most likely use it for the Kobold/Fimir Chapter. This spell card though will make a good support spell for a dragonkin priest NPC.
Last edited by Daedalus on January 28th, 2015, 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
•==(Broadsword>

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
gootchute

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » July 19th, 2014, 1:21 am

Nothing is set in stone regarding the nature of the gaze attack (GimmeYerGold was just the first one to get this ball rolling again :))
Except that I strongly think it should be a permanent ability written out as a special rule to the Basilisk.
And I think we all agree MP should be used in some way.

Try writing out how you would actually put the rule in the game. Seeing a couple of fleshed out rules will make it easier to decide.
Just remember to be clear. How does it use it's gaze? How does a hero defend? How does being petrified work? How do you get un-petrified?

The Basilisk should be 1x2 bases like wolves.
In pure HQ (no custom boards or doors) 1x2 is really the largest size base that actually works.
Anything larger and it cant get through doors or around corners.
Last edited by Daedalus on January 28th, 2015, 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » July 19th, 2014, 2:48 am

How about they have to roll under thier MP to avoid it? That works really well thier MP values.

Goblin-King, what do you think to this, it's your spell?
I suggest we change fever from this:

Fever
This spell will inflict a terrible fever upon a player. He rolls one less defense die against all attacks. The victim may try to recover by rolling a defense die at the start of each of his turns. If he rolls a shield he returns to normal.

To this:

Fever
This spell will inflict a terrible fever upon a target in sight. They roll one less defence dice, one less attack dice and move at half their standard rate or rolled score (rounding up). Any any non undead/Nurgle/swamp based characters who start their turn adjacent (including diagonally adjacent) to character with the fever rolls a combat dice. On a skull they are affected by the symptoms of the fever for the duration of this turn and on a black shield they are fully infected with it. A character with the fever rolls a combat dice at the start of their turn. If they roll a white shield the fever is fought off and if they roll a black shield they suffer one mind point of damage. The effects of Cloud Of Flies, Pestilence and Nurgles Rot are not cumulative with each other but are cumulative with Fever.
It's kind of a mirror to plague, though only in some ways, and I thought it would fun if it was contagious. :)
Last edited by Daedalus on January 28th, 2015, 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby torilen » July 19th, 2014, 9:43 am

What's a nurgle? Is that anything like a nargle?

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » July 19th, 2014, 10:12 am

It's one of the four chaos gods in warhammer. Nurgle, Slannesh, Khorne and Tzeench.

What's a nargle?
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby knightkrawler » July 19th, 2014, 10:31 am

Basilisk special rule.
Petrification
If a hero loses more than 1(2?) Body points to a single attack of the Basilisk, he falls victim to its petrifying gaze.
The Hero cannot move or take any action until the effect is broken. Once per turn, a petrified Hero may try to break the gaze effect by rolling a number of combat dice equal to his current Mind points. If a black shield (2 white shields?) is rolled the effect ends and the Hero may immediately move and take actions as normal again. While petrified, a Hero defends with 8 combat dice when attacked and is immune to spell or potion effects.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Goblin-King » July 19th, 2014, 10:55 am

knightkrawler wrote:Basilisk special rule.
Petrification
If a hero loses more than 1(2?) Body points to a single attack of the Basilisk, he falls victim to its petrifying gaze.
The Hero cannot move or take any action until the effect is broken. Once per turn, a petrified Hero may try to break the gaze effect by rolling a number of combat dice equal to his current Mind points. If a black shield (2 white shields?) is rolled the effect ends and the Hero may immediately move and take actions as normal again. While petrified, a Hero defends with 8 combat dice when attacked and is immune to spell or potion effects.

My tweak:

Petrification
If a hero loses at least 1 Body point to a single attack of the Basilisk, he falls victim to its petrifying gaze. *I say just 1 BP to have a chance of triggering against a heavy armored hero*
The Hero cannot move or take any action until the effect is broken.
While petrified, a Hero is immune to all attacks, spell and potion effects. *The point is mostly to put a hero temporarily out of action to kill the remaining heroes in the meantime - *
Once per turn, a petrified Hero may try to break the gaze effect by rolling a number of combat dice equal to his current Mind points.
If a black shield is rolled the effect ends and the Hero may immediately move and take actions as normal again.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » July 19th, 2014, 11:23 am

Goblin-King wrote:
knightkrawler wrote:Basilisk special rule.
Petrification

My tweak:

Petrification
If a hero loses at least 1 Body point to a single attack of the Basilisk, he falls victim to its petrifying gaze. *I say just 1 BP to have a chance of triggering against a heavy armored hero*
The Hero cannot move or take any action until the effect is broken.
While petrified, a Hero is immune to all attacks, spell and potion effects. *The point is mostly to put a hero temporarily out of action to kill the remaining heroes in the meantime - *
Once per turn, a petrified Hero may try to break the gaze effect by rolling a number of combat dice equal to his current Mind points.
If a black shield is rolled the effect ends and the Hero may immediately move and take actions as normal again.
My tweak:

A basilisk may give up an action (either movement or normal attack) to attempt a petrifying gaze on a target in sight. The target rolls one combat dice for every for each of their current mind points and if they roll at least two white shields the gaze fails. Otherwise they are petrified and are unable to perform any action. A petrified target can attempt to overcome it once per turn by rolling under their full mind point value using a standard dice. A petrified target cannot be harmed in any way.
Last edited by Daedalus on January 28th, 2015, 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Sjeng » July 19th, 2014, 1:50 pm

GimmeYerGold wrote:For my personal set, I ordered this Basilisk from Reaper: https://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/ ... /IG_3554_2

Wait, this one is in Bones 2? SWEET! :D
Awesome Basilisk.

Wasn't the medusa in Clash of the Titans a Gorgon then? Snake body, female torso, snake hair?
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to HQ25th Brainstorming