• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

HQ25 Petrify Spell Card

Brainstorming topics for the HeroQuest 25th Anniversary Quest Pack.

Re: HQ25 Petrify Spell Card

Postby Sjeng » July 25th, 2014, 3:50 pm

Goblin-King wrote:The "real" Medusa was one of three gorgon sisters. The sisters had snakes for hair and horrible visages which turned people to stone.
Nowhere in mythology is she ever mentioned as having a snake tail/body.

That particular image (and her preferred weapon: the bow) was (if not created) popularized by Ray Harryhausen.
I guess he thought it looked cool.

The basilisk is a half reptile / half cockrel, often depicted with several pairs of legs. Notice the crest on it's head.

So...

Medusa = ugly humanoid with snake-hair
Basilisk = Snake/cockrel beast

Isn't that second image a cockatrice though? :S
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby knightkrawler » July 25th, 2014, 4:00 pm

Basilisk and Cockatrice are related and similar concepts.
The artist of that drawing meant this to be a basilisk.

Here's the comparison: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basilisk
and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cockatrice
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » January 28th, 2015, 7:21 pm

I compiled an index composed of links for reference of this thread. It includes the Basilisk and related HQ 25 monsters with ability suggestions and comments (sometimes you need to read down a post for relevant info.) The Bolded entry is one of the six officially-chosen HQ 25 monsters from the 3. HQ25 - Choose your monsters + stats topic. Though the other entries don't qualify as one of the six agreed-upon monsters, I included them anyway for completeness as they may inspire other uses in the expansion.

Why bother? My aim is to provide an efficient and logical means for understanding what the community has presented as a whole. A few of other threads contain relevant information that also can be edited in for linking (more to do.) From here, polls can be created with just the relevant monster links included between them so that all Inn members can have an informed, equal say in choosing the final form of each of the six HQ 25 monsters. I'd suggest this should be done one monster poll at a time so that a more manageable set of links could be explored and discussed, then move on. Also, supplemental polls can be created to handle the more lengthy choices for monster abilities, such as the Basilisk. Editors will reserve the right to make adjustments, as per the Design Document.

Reptilian

Last edited by Daedalus on February 23rd, 2015, 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tag
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Previous

Return to HQ25th Brainstorming