• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

6. HQ25 - New Equipment + Artefacts

Brainstorming topics for the HeroQuest 25th Anniversary Quest Pack.

Re: HQ25 - New Equipment + Artefacts

Postby Big Bene » July 8th, 2014, 9:51 am

Other equipment:

Torches and lanterns!

This of course requires rules for "darknes" (as discussed here).
I would object against compromising the simplicity of Heroquest by introducing darknes rules as general game rules. I'd say, just consider all "normal" dungeons as already illuminated by their inhabitants.
But there could very well be some dark dungeons later in the campaign that include rules for handling darknes in their quest notes.

Torch:
2 GP
1-handed Weapon - Attack/Defense 1 combat die, against mummies 2 combat dice
Serves as a light source as specified by the darknes rules.
Cannot be lit or put out under quest conditions (an unlit torch can however be lit using an existing open fire, such as another torch that already burns). Will last only X rounds.

Lantern:
45 GP
Cannot be used as a weapon, but needs one hand to carry when using it (so cannot be used with two-handed weapons etc.).
Serves as a light source as specified by the darknes rules.
Can be "put of and on" by covering it. Lasts as long as the quest goes.

:idea: :barbarian: :idea:
Last edited by Big Bene on July 8th, 2014, 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby knightkrawler » July 8th, 2014, 3:05 pm

I think the darkness special rule could be applied to an entire arc if the writer of said arc wants to incorporate them. An introductory page in the quest book right before that arc begins would do nicely.
Or it could be a special rule for one or several quests sprinkled here and there.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » July 8th, 2014, 5:52 pm

I might incorporate that into a special section of a quest. They find a trap door and can drop down into a sub-subterranean area, using some of the tiles. There's a couple of torches in the first room and in the next room zombies attack from out of the darkness. :)
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby MrBigB » July 8th, 2014, 6:49 pm

Gold Bearer wrote:The four essential artefacts that they have to find could have these additional effects:

Barbarian - Attack on black shields in melee.
Dwarf - Defend on black shields.
Elf and Wizard - Wizards Of Morcar spells added. Wizard picks one, Elf picks one, Wizard picks two, Elf picks one, Wizard has the other two. Elf rolls three movement dice and ignores the lowest.

When they're all gathered they could increase in power to give these additional effects:

Barbarian - Black shields count as two skulls in melee.
Dwarf - Black shields count as two white shields.
Elf and Wizard - Wizard picks one, Elf picks one, Wizard has the other five. Elf has six random Elf spells.

Ok I just caught up on this thread, but right off the back this seems like a GREAT idea! The spells for the wizard/elf portion might need a little tweaking (seems a little too complicated for my taste) but the basic idea is awesome. I really like the idea of the added buff once they're all combined for the final arc, but introduced too early could make the end quests anticlimactic.

The movement buff for the elf is perfect in my humble opinion :elf:

What if for the spells it at first the wizard gets [insert number] random spells from the WoM deck, and the elf gets [slightly smaller number] random spells from the elf deck. Later it could buff up so the wizard gets to choose [original number plus 1 or 2], and the elf also gets to choose but keeps the same number (maybe add 1?).

You guys are much better at balancing this stuff...
"Hey guys, I'm having a really good time."

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
MrBigB

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:

Postby gootchute » July 8th, 2014, 8:35 pm

Hammer of Justice should probably be two-handed. Note that it is worse than a battle axe against 90% of the monsters in HQ.

I think it is balanced if hero using it is restricted to one melee weapon per quest (not counting daggers) but then that is a house rule assumption used to balance an artifact: not everyone is going to use that same house rule! If a hero can carry carry a longsword to use on anything with defense 3 or less, and break out the Hammer of Justice for defense 4+ monsters it becomes overpowered. If they are restricted to having to use only the hammer, they must take the good with the bad.

Perhaps writing the restriction into the artifact could get around balancing around house rules:

The Hammer of Justice: This finely balanced stone hammer bears an ancient inscription depicting a set of scales. It always attacks with a number of attack dice equal to the defender's defense dice. The hammer is so large that is requires two hands to wield and the hero cannot switch weapons while carrying it.

I envision this weapon being used by the shock trooper of the party. He rushes the toughest enemy and starts going to town, while ignoring the lesser goblins and orcs around him, let the ranged guys deal with those nuisances!
•==(Broadsword>

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
gootchute

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » July 9th, 2014, 2:55 am

That restriction cuts to the heart of the weapon and fits it best. I'd say it should be included if this artifact is added to the expansion. I'd ammend it a bit by saying it is the only weapon a Hero may carry in a Quest other than daggers. There’s no rule against keeping equipment outside of a Quest, so weapons can be switched afterwards, between Quests.

The may-not-be-used-with-a-shield option also makes sense, but even that could be dropped if it is used for 3 AD or less. I'm not sure if this complication is a good idea, but perhaps the weapon wouldn't be desirable if the occasional boost always cost a Defend Die. Not sure--just thinking out loud.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » July 9th, 2014, 2:21 pm

MrBigB wrote:What if for the spells it at first the wizard gets [insert number] random spells from the WoM deck, and the elf gets [slightly smaller number] random spells from the elf deck. Later it could buff up so the wizard gets to choose [original number plus 1 or 2], and the elf also gets to choose but keeps the same number (maybe add 1?).
That's more complicated. :)

I don't think the wom spells should be mixed together like that. They're seperate spell sets and should stay seperate I think. I did the spells like like so that it sticks to the original order, W, E, W, W, and the wizrd still gets the two two remaining sets at the end. The only thing I don't like about is that the elf gets a second set, then looses it. I don't like taking stuff away to make room for a new improvement. I think this would be better.

Elf and Wizard - Wizards Of Morcar spells added. Wizard choses two extra spell sets. Elf has three random elf spells at the start of each quest and rolls three movement dice and ignores the lowest.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Gold Bearer » July 9th, 2014, 7:00 pm

This is better ballanced I think and the elf gets to chose his spells like he does in the elf expansion. It also works well with the elf spell book that gives him two random elf spells.

Barbarian - Attacks on black shields as well as skulls in melee.
Dwarf - Defends on black as well as white shields.
Elf and Wizard - Wizards Of Morcar spells added. Wizard choses an extra spell set after the elf. Elf choses one elf spell at the start of each quest and rolls three movement dice and ignores the lowest and fails a jump on a black shield instead of a skull.

Barbarian - Black shields count as two skulls in melee.
Dwarf - Black shields count as two white shields.
Elf and Wizard - Wizard has another two spell sets. Wizard picks one, Elf picks one, Wizard has the other five. Elf choses six elf spells at the start of each quest.

Rewards:
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Previous

Return to HQ25th Brainstorming