• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

6. HQ25 - New Equipment + Artefacts

Brainstorming topics for the HeroQuest 25th Anniversary Quest Pack.

Re: HQ25 - New Equipment + Artefacts

Postby gootchute » July 1st, 2014, 10:58 pm

knightkrawler wrote:I vote for

Halberd 3 AD, two-handed, reach two squares, no wizard
Bow 2 AD, ranged, no wizard
Sling 1 AD, ranged (squares = current BPx2)
Mace 2 AD, Skeletons and Chaos Warriors -1DD, no wizard
Greatsword 5 AD, two-handed, only Barbarian (incredibly expensive, but I'll be satisfied without changing the rules my way presented elsewhere ;) )

I vote against general special rules for equipment when not texted on a specific card.
5 new pieces are a good number I say.

I approve.

knightkrawler wrote:Artefact or Equipment:
Rapier 2 AD, only wizard, discard two spells when first used in quest.

I...wow! I really like the idea of a magic draining sword for the wizard! How a bout making it even more powerful?
Aetherlance: This fine needle thin rapier may be used by the Elf or Wizard. It has the attack power of 2 attack dice. Each time the character attacks they may discard any number of spell cards to for a one-time-only bonus number of dice for that attack equal to the number of discarded spells.

Gold Bearer wrote:
Goblin-King wrote:Fixing Spirit Blade and other existing artifacts?
Any artifacts used should be fundamentally different from those we already have, not slightly variants.
So a huge NO! from my side. We are not trying to "fix" HeroQuest. We are making a quest pack.
Wow. What other existing artifacts? And it's not a slight variant of the spirit blade. Have you read it? It's very distinct from it in practical terms. It's similar in, er, spirit. I'll call it the sodding soul sword if it makes you feel better. :)

For what it is worth, I really like the spirit sword idea, with a different name to give it it's own identity. Soul Edge ;)
It is just like that one mini-boss in kellers keep (i think that was the quest pack)

My suggestion is to give it to the big bad's lieutenant around quest 22, and allow him to use it against the heroes! They claim it when he is killed! Naturally the big bad it not super weak to it (he has a ton of mind points), I think subverting the trope of the magic sword kills the big bad would be a nice easter egg for HeroQuest fans. (not to belittle the new sword's power, it will be quite good against regular monsters. Speaking of which, i think undead should use their regular defense since they have no mind to steal... oh there is the name Mindstealer.

Another Artifact idea..

The Equalizer: This finely balanced stone hammer bears an inscription of a set of scales. It always attacks with a number of attack dice equal to the defender's defense dice.

A dagger against a goblin but a battle axe against a chaos warrior.. hmm
•==(Broadsword>

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
gootchute

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Gold Bearer » July 2nd, 2014, 10:40 am

Count Mohawk wrote:
Gold Bearer wrote:I really can't get my head around not wanting new equipment. It's such a simple thing to do and doesn't make it feel any less like HQ. :? Don't listen to these guys!!!
I can. I like to think that Hero Quest's exiting set of equipment is a bit lacking both in variety and in depth, but I also believe that fixing it is better off as a separate system. It keeps complexity creep to a minimum in the various quest packs.
WHY :?:

I can't see a single valid objection for adding those extremely simple weapons to the armoury. The crushing weapons yes, I think they're fine but the is a valid objection for not wanting them because they add a new (although very simple) mechanic. But the others are just standard and diagonal attacks. The only think about them that's in any way different from the standard equipment is the fact that they're not available for all the non wizard characters to use, but that's badly needed because there isn't enough distinction between the characters and the barbarian does need a bit of a boost. It works out nicely, the dwarf and barbarian can attack with five, the dwarf can't attack diagonally with more than three, the barbarian is the only one who can attack diagonally with five.

gootchute wrote:Another Artifact idea..

The Equalizer: This finely balanced stone hammer bears an inscription of a set of scales. It always attacks with a number of attack dice equal to the defender's defense dice.

A dagger against a goblin but a battle axe against a chaos warrior.. hmm
I like it but I think it needs a new and more mythological sounding name. Hammer Of Justice?
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » July 7th, 2014, 12:46 pm

I think we should be using Euro equipment prices but US style, so that the selection isn't limited to the amount of cards there are (that never made any sense). All the Euro prices are even numbered which is neater with the selling weapons back to the armoury at half price rule, and a helmet should be more expensive than a shield because it can be used with a two handed weapon. That way we only have to change the crossbow price and not the battle axe. There's no way the longsword and the crossbow should be the same price. Ranged weapons should be two handed as well. I also think the tool kit should be dropped to 50gp. No one ever buys it. Maybe daggers should be 10gp. If we have the sling I think it should be 100gp but not range limited. Would we want the wizard using a sling?

Hunters Amulet
Allows the user to reroll one combat dice when making ranged attacks.

Armlet Of Strength
Allows the user to roll double the normal number of combat dice when throwing a weapon.

Power Bracers
Allows the wizard to attack with an extra combat dice. 200gp. Cannot be combined with defence bracers.

I got the idea for the hunters amulet from space crusade and the other two from Sotiris' rules. He won't mind. :)
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby torilen » July 7th, 2014, 2:08 pm

I love the idea of a weapon that changes AD to match DD. Definitely needs a better name, and perhaps
some sort of restriction - uses per quest? Give up something to use? I don't know. But that is a great idea.

I may be stealing that.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » July 7th, 2014, 3:40 pm

The equalizer should be two-handed to weigh down its advantages.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Gold Bearer » July 7th, 2014, 5:20 pm

knightkrawler wrote:The equalizer should be two-handed to weigh down its advantages.
I like it. A two handed artefact like the Japanese ones. That would also explain why it can't be thrown.

What do we think to these prices for the definite equipment?
Dagger: 10gp.
Tool Kit: 50gp.
Staff: 100gp (US version).
Shortsword: 100gp (US version).
Shield: 100gp.
Helmet: 120gp.
Handaxe: 150gp.
Spear: 200gp.
Bracers: 200gp.
Broardsword: 250gp.
Longsword: 350gp.
Cloak Of Protection: 350gp.
Crossbow: 400gp (now two handed).
Battleaxe: 400gp.
Chainmail: 500gp.
Plate Armour: 850gp.

Rewards:
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby gootchute » July 7th, 2014, 11:51 pm

I don't think we need to change any prices or rules with the basic equipment, this is not a re-write of the core US rules, just a quest pack. People no doubt have their own armory rules so there would be conflict if we balance new items by altering old.

I do like the idea of an optional download, with little tweaks like price changes, as a single page "suggested house rules" document.

I got the idea of the equalizer from the WH40k special character Lucius the Eternal, he matches his opponent's weapon skill.
•==(Broadsword>

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
gootchute

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » July 8th, 2014, 5:49 am

Sotiris came up with a very nice and simple rule for crossbow ammo that we might want to use. Instead of keeping track of ammo, the player just has to buy quarells at the start of each quest to use the crossbow.

gootchute wrote:I don't think we need to change any prices or rules with the basic equipment, this is not a re-write of the core US rules, just a quest pack. People no doubt have their own armory rules so there would be conflict if we balance new items by altering old.
Those are the euro prices, apart from the US priced chanmail, 500gp seemed neater. The only ones I changed are the shortsword because it doesn't attack diagonally, the spear because it was underpriced and the crossbow because it makes no sense for the longsword and crossbow to cost the same as each other. The chanmail could be changed to 450gp to match the rest of the euro prices and the shortsword and handaxe could be dropped by 50gp each because the handaxe still seems over priced. If we do that the staff could be dropped to 50gp as well because it doesn't seem right that a stick costs more than a sword. The helmet could also be raised to 150gp for neatness so that it's the US prices for the shield and helmet but switched over. At the moment the helmet is the only thing that isn't divisible by 50gp, apart from daggers. I put daggers as 10gp because 25gp for a one use, one combat dice ranged attack is very overpriced, especially if we have a sling.

gootchute wrote:I do like the idea of an optional download, with little tweaks like price changes, as a single page "suggested house rules" document.
With crushing weapons. :)

gootchute wrote:I got the idea of the equalizer from the WH40k special character Lucius the Eternal, he matches his opponent's weapon skill.
What do you think to knightkrawlers idea to make the hammer two handed and my rename of hammer of justice?
Last edited by Gold Bearer on July 8th, 2014, 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Tott » July 8th, 2014, 6:14 am

if you cant come up with a decent fantasy name, there's always dwarven or elvish to fall back on:
Graz'Kaddak: An massive dwarven war-hammer, its name means 'The settling of all grudges'
Thalla'thanaar: 'To bring balance to all things', A large elegant mace carved from Elven ironwood

or even Orcish:
"Thaghaagh' A huge, grotesque club, made by the 'best' orc weapon-smiths. its name, loosely translated, means 'All things become mud'

I think you need always need new equipment and artefacts, as a form of progression, stronger equipment means you can take on stronger opponents, plus they act as rewards.
but id also like a bit more randomness, say there's a set of 6-8 loot cards, each with a different powerful item, and at 4-5 times in the series, after say beating a boss or fighting through to special chest, or hidden in a secret tomb, the heroes get to pick one at random and then decide which of them keeps it.
themeing the loot items around the expansion pack also adds to the flavour of the pack, if the expansion is set in an ancient and long forgotten dwarven city or the ruins of a elven trading post, then adding dwarven hammers or helmets, or elven swords or bows can be more immersive than a random suit of armour.
Tott

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Big Bene » July 8th, 2014, 9:18 am

I'd say Hammer of Justice is fine - has a great sound to it, and even cites a classical topos.
I think it a bit overpowered, however. Principle is fine, but should have some restrictions.
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to HQ25th Brainstorming